Author Topic: A new ruleset should be implemented for new members joining just to sell crap.  (Read 4661 times)

Firebomber7

So, what about noobs with like 2 posts that just say "PMed" on these sorts of gouging sales threads? Flood their inbox with hell also?

psychobear

What about posting in introductions first? I think that's a must.

vestcoat

It's settled then: we will publicly shun offensive sellers, but unleash a veritable hellstorm of harassment via PM, email, social media (whatever! You know what I mean).

Seller's thread isn't bumped. Seller's private communications filled with sea of noise.
This is a good idea. But rather than harassment, how about false interest in their sales? A la: "how much is shipping to *insert random country*?" or "I'll take DEII for $300! Can you hold it? I'll send paypal on Friday!" Of course, one of us will have to eventually buy something cheap so we can get their return address and sign them up for lewd snail mail.

esteban

It's settled then: we will publicly shun offensive sellers, but unleash a veritable hellstorm of harassment via PM, email, social media (whatever! You know what I mean).

Seller's thread isn't bumped. Seller's private communications filled with sea of noise.
This is a good idea. But rather than harassment, how about false interest in their sales? A la: "how much is shipping to *insert random country*?" or "I'll take DEII for $300! Can you hold it? I'll send paypal on Friday!" Of course, one of us will have to eventually buy something cheap so we can get their return address and sign them up for lewd snail mail.

THIS IS THE OFFICIAL PLAN.

Damn, we should feel good. The Professor will be pleased (ha!) :)

|    | 

turboswimbz

THIS IS THE OFFICIAL PLAN.

Damn, we should feel good. The Professor will be pleased (ha!) :)

I'm fairly certain this is already happening . . .  :-#
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

FiftyQuid

I went with option one in the poll.  Selling only permitted with 150 posts.  Buying shouldn't be allowed until a higher post count is obtained.  Maybe 250 or 350 posts.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

jperryss

I went with option one in the poll.  Selling only permitted with 150 posts.  Buying shouldn't be allowed until a higher post count is obtained.  Maybe 250 or 350 posts.

I'm not getting the logic behind that. Not only are you limiting the market for existing sellers, but it's much easier to screw someone as a seller than a buyer.

If anything, shouldn't the required post count be lower for buying?

Keith Courage

Why not just let the newbies list what they have for sale right away if they want to. Then individuals here can decide whether they want to buy something from them or not. No need to trash their prices or get up in their business about how reliable or trustworthy they are. People here would obviously take that in to account before buying anything. Sounds like the easiest plan to me.

Meaning if you think the prices are too high or that you cannot trust the person for being new then don't buy anything.  
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 12:05:17 PM by Keith Courage »

ProfessorProfessorson

Why not just let the newbies list what they have for sale right away if they want to. Then individuals here can decide whether they want to buy something from them or not. No need to trash their prices or get up in their business about how reliable or trustworthy they are. People here would obviously take that in to account before buying anything. Sounds like the easiest plan to me.

Because this is the kind of approach that has seemed to create the image of this forum as being a dumping ground with a fat wallet for gougers and resellers. This approach no longer seems to work for the majority of us as it clearly sends the wrong message. Now after peoples ebay fail, the first place they hit is here.

DarkKobold

None of this post deals with moderator enforced limits!

I'm starting to dig this idea of a community-enforced ban on new sellers. Not because it will work, or is even remotely a good idea.

I like the idea because it is an online-version of the Prisoner's Dilemma. For the community-ban to work, everyone must agree to not buy from sellers. However, that means that the best situation is that the entire community practices it, but you. You get the ability to buy from a seller, and get all of their cheapest items, while the rest of the community stays banded together in not buying from them.

This is why it is extremely difficult to combat carbon emissions on a global level. Reducing carbon emissions cost money, so it is best for every other country to reduce their carbon footprint, while your country doesn't. This is why no country has greatly focused on it.

http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2007/04/case-for-small-carbon-tax.html

Now, this idea can't work, beyond just the failings due to the prisoner's dilemma. First off, new sellers have absolutely no reason to listen to old-timers. Likewise, new buyers also have no reason to listen. The best old-timers can do is flood a sale posting with negativity and flames.... which already happens!

Yet, this has not prevented 100% of sales for either RetroHungry or SegaSaturn. (To what influence the flame war has had on sales is questionable). So, in short, this won't work. Appeal to the mods if you want real change.

Hey, you.

Opethian

anyone with a default avatar irrelevant
also anyone who believes ebay is a price guide
gtfo k thx bai

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

turboswimbz

True perhaps to eveything said here, I think the thread here is more of a vent (for most anyway).   I mean being debbie down here ON EITHER SIDE is only going to upset people.  and turn this into another stupid long drawn out fight.   The best thing to do is just ignore everything on both sides from my point of view. 

The only real way to stop this would have been if you couldn't see the sales threads until you reached a post level or activity level and for it to be enforced.  But since the mods don't enforce anyway, and won't change the rules - this would be all for naught.   

So just ignore it. Buy from who you want when the price is good and they seem descent, and sell to people you think are decent at a fair price.  - the golden rule re-imagined for selling/buying.  your turbo karma will grow.

But don't shit on others because they want to see change or not, I mean so what if it doesn't happen. just let the rant take it's course,  better than stirring shit in these threads and having everyone going at each other. because when this happens you let the new comings who dump stuff here and don't care ruin the experience for everyone.

just my 2 cents. I know it doesn't mean much, but do we really need to have arguments start over some sellers with poor attitudes or high prices?   

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

thesteve

i have a default avitar

Bernie

• Facebook URL
I would say have it set so that you could not access certain parts of the forum, until a post count has been reached.  I would think 50-100 would be enough to know if they are someone worth dealing with.  I've been a mod on private forums before, that utilized a system like that, and it works well.  Doubtful it will ever happen here though. 

turboswimbz

i have a default avitar

No your's is just invisible, It's a big bowl of Esteban's flan.