Author Topic: A new ruleset should be implemented for new members joining just to sell crap.  (Read 4649 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
I'm not a fan of saying nothing when someone is trying to gouge or otherwise hoodwink the forum, as there are plenty of newish guys that may not know any better in terms of pricing/rarity/completeness/etc.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Gogan

I'm not a fan of saying nothing when someone is trying to gouge or otherwise hoodwink the forum, as there are plenty of newish guys that may not know any better in terms of pricing/rarity/completeness/etc.

In that case, sure, speaking up would be beneficial. But that Saturn guy, he had decent prices, said he would haggle, and still got blasted. Though, his dickish attitude didn't help, and probably stirred that pot a bit.

But, if you have no interest in anything being sold, and it's not gouged to the max, I vote people just stfu. If you are buying at high prices, you need to educate yourself. You can't fix stupid.
Nothin beats the real thing.

KingDrool

Honestly, it doesn't bother me. I prefer it being the Wild West. If some douche wants to sign up just to try an unload an "OMG R@RE! SE@LED KEITH COURAGE!" for $800, let 'em try. Instead of getting our undies all up in a bunch and acting like internet rage nerds, we can just point, laugh, and move along.

And at first I was was okay with making a 150 post minimum to use the Buy/Sell boards. But shit, if some guy actually comes here with something good to sell and is willing to do so for a fair price, why make him wait until he has 150 posts?

Sorry, but I say we just let the community filter out the bullshit in this case.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

MotherGunner

In that case, sure, speaking up would be beneficial.

Completely agree, and I did!  In my case there was history and context, I don't make it a habit to pick on every single newb that does this.  I even tried to calm the waters on the Saturn thread and that failed.  True some guys here go overboard and I frown on that, but it's important to NOT generalize either.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

nectarsis

why are people posting in sales threads anyways this is the only forum I go to where it's common practice to turn every sales thread into a 10 page discussion. I go to a lot of forums with even worse gouging issues and when someone posts overpriced stuff they don't get any attention and the stuff doesn't sell. smart sellers then drop their prices until they make a deal or leave.
last couple of witch hunt threads the sellers prices weren't even that bad and they were willing to negotiate. it embarrassed me the behavior of a lot of people on this site and I feel most the instigators aren't even interested in buying anything in the first place.

On the flip side this a MUCH smaller/more tight knit forum than almost any other I have been on.  Plus most other sites have some form of time/post limits to post, or even see the sale threads which would negate a lot of these issues.  Add to that so many of us are friends (even in the real world) you'll get more reaction (usually more to the dickish attitudes warranted or not).  ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 01:37:58 PM by nectarsis »
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Black Tiger

If no restrictions are made, a disclaimer should at least be added to the rules of the buy/sell sections warning n00bs of what generally sets people off and how many people will comment in their threads if they don't like their prices.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Gogan

Completely agree, and I did!  In my case there was history and context, I don't make it a habit to pick on every single newb that does this.  I even tried to calm the waters on the Saturn thread and that failed.  True some guys here go overboard and I frown on that, but it's important to NOT generalize either.

Saturn dug his own grave in that thread lol
Nothin beats the real thing.

vestcoat

If no restrictions are made, a disclaimer should at least be added to the rules of the buy/sell sections warning n00bs of what generally sets people off and how many people will comment in their threads if they don't like their prices.

Oh yeah, this:

nectarsis

Saturn dug his own grave in that thread lol

But...but he PUT EVERYONE IN THEIR PLACE!!!
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Jibbajaba

That's true.  I was definitely put in my place.  The place where I don't buy his stuff and he disappears from the forums.

Chris

ProfessorProfessorson

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
I would say have it set so that you could not access certain parts of the forum, until a post count has been reached.  I would think 50-100 would be enough to know if they are someone worth dealing with.  I've been a mod on private forums before, that utilized a system like that, and it works well.  Doubtful it will ever happen here though. 

The only problem with making the "sell/trade" forums invisible to new members would be that they would assume they just don't exist and should make new topics/posts to sell their 'goods' on regular forums.

Why not just a 50 post limit for any new member to be able to start a thread?  Make them join conversations, post in the "Welcome to PCFX" forum and get to know the place a bit, and when they hit their #50- then bam!  They can start a thread.

I know this would take an act of GOD for Aaron to respond to a PM/email regarding this suggestion so maybe we all should try PMing him today. with the same request!  :D

PunkicCyborg

you want 50 posts from a n00b that are "I like this" and "lol" and " :lol:" before they can start posting "pm sent" in a sales thread?
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

BigusSchmuck

you want 50 posts from a n00b that are "I like this" and "lol" and " :lol:" before they can start posting "pm sent" in a sales thread?
Or you can create a minimum post content like a paragraph or more to count towards your post count. And maybe have a script or something check to see if the content isn't repetitive and such. Might be too complicated, I dunno. Or have a requirement that your first 50 posts have to be in the pce/turbo/chat discussion and can't all be in fighting street. Better yet have fighting street posts don't count at all. Just a thought.

sirhcman

I voted for 150 post count and 2 month activity but if we get into 'where I posted' and what content I have posted then I probably wouldn't qualify to sell here. I haven't made a For Sale thread but had been contemplating doing one in the future.. Currently I do all my deals through PM if people want something *shrugs*