Author Topic: CD Door making strange noises when CD is spinning  (Read 265 times)

Duo_R

CD Door making strange noises when CD is spinning
« on: December 20, 2012, 03:53:26 AM »

I had a unit that was working fine, I did a full-cap swap and tested with the cover off to make sure everything works fine (including CD games). I then put everything back together, but now when playing CD games it makes what sounds like a light scraping noise (like the disc is hitting something). If I put some pressure on the door and press it down the noise goes away). Also by tightening the screws on the bottom of the system the noise slightly goes away, but I am not comfortable adding more torque afraid that something will crack.

I recall seeing this issue before, anyone got any ideas here? I have a RGB amp inside the unit but it looks like it is clearing the plastic housing. Pretty confused what is wrong here.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Keith Courage

Re: CD Door making strange noises when CD is spinning
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 04:57:51 AM »
I've run into this issues before on DUOs but not DUO R systems before. The lid is somehow not going on all the way. Double check the Lens assembly t make sure nothing is out of line and also look at your caps to see if any are sticking up too high. The lid might be bumping some of the new caps and not going on all the way. I usually bend the caps sideways to make up for any clearance issues.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 05:57:47 AM »
Some of those caps you have to put in near the cd drive def need to be laid flat, or near flat, because parts of the top shell in the cd drive area hang lower. If need be you can lay small strips of electrical tape down on the pcb spots you need to lay the caps down on to keep them from bumping/rubbing anything. Also, the middle screw for the bottom of the system, it usually helps to press down inside the cd drive bay area while you screw that one in so you can make sure it is screwed in firmly. If you dont do this it tend sto feel like you are trying to force the screw into a thick sponge.

Game-Tech.US

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 04:20:56 AM »
Also be sure the spindle did not somehow get pushed down, the saucer the cd sits on.
It should be slightly higher than the sled cover. It's happened to me a few times.

thesteve

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 05:59:25 AM »
any wires pinched on the rubber cd drive mounts will cause this as well

Duo_R

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 05:33:38 PM »
great tips guys, this is for a PCE standard Duo.  Hopefully I get it figured out. Didn't do this before the cap swap so that is suspect for sure.
Add my YouTube channel:

thesteve

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 06:33:57 PM »
black duo has no caps under the drive.
pinched wires is likely

Duo_R

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 10:47:14 PM »
you guys nailed it! I think it was both a capacitor and a wire that caused the problem! Thanks again, it has been a while since I have worked on Duos and got a little rusty there.... lol 
Add my YouTube channel: