Author Topic: Should I just get the PCE versions of these TG-16 games?  (Read 612 times)

NinjaCrackerX

Should I just get the PCE versions of these TG-16 games?
« on: December 21, 2012, 05:34:26 AM »
I was wondering if you guys could help me by letting me know if there are any reasons (language barriers, gameplay differences, etc..) not to save some money and just settle for the cheaper PCE versions of these games:

Bomberman 93
Cotton
Dead Moon
Dungeon Explorer II
New Adventure Island
Super Star Soldier
Shock Man
Dynastic Hero
Godzilla
Jackie Chan
Super Air Zonk

Thanks for your time! :)

roflmao

Re: Should I just get the PCE versions of these TG-16 games?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 05:43:19 AM »
The only ones listed that jump out at me are DEII and Dynastic Hero.  All of the other ones should be completely playable without language issues.  Cotton even has an English option!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 05:46:35 AM »
What rofl said.  You should be able to make it through DE II without too many problems (you'll just be missing out on some of the story), but there's a timed question/answer part in Dynastic Hero that'll be rough to pass.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

lukester

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 07:31:14 AM »
What rofl said.  You should be able to make it through DE II without too many problems (you'll just be missing out on some of the story), but there's a timed question/answer part in Dynastic Hero that'll be rough to pass.

Just use any Wonderboy in Monster World FAQ. Same game. :)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 07:40:53 AM »

That wouldn't help much.  The problem is that the time limit leaves precious little time to look up the correct answer to the random questions, especially when you can't recognize the characters at all.

lukester

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 08:00:26 AM »

That wouldn't help much.  The problem is that the time limit leaves precious little time to look up the correct answer to the random questions, especially when you can't recognize the characters at all.

Time limit? Well just write down the info from the FAQ, and use it on the boss. :)

turboswimbz

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 08:07:04 AM »

Time limit? Well just write down the info from the FAQ, and use it on the boss. :)

Necro was pointing out that there are several random questions, (differ which ones and in what order they show up) and unless you can memorize all the Japanese Characters for the correct answers and all the characters for the questions, then match them correctly it'd be hard to complete the game, whether you have the answers right there or not. 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

hoobs88

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 09:05:23 AM »
I believe the PC Engine version of Godzilla has bonus materials that the US version does not have. As stated by others, Dungeon Explorer II and Dynastic Hero are the only games that you would have language barrier problems with. I couldn't pass the Sphinx in the PC Engine version of Dynastic Hero who asks questions in Kanji and you cannot pass him unless they are answered correctly. Some other members were able to guess them in the alotted time but I was unable to do so.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 09:22:29 AM »
I believe the PC Engine version of Godzilla has bonus materials that the US version does not have.

Yep; it has between round trivia questions to earn points towards unlocking higher bosses, which must be unlocked in single player mode before they can be used in two player mode.

My random guesses haven't helped me unlock the last three beasties.  :(

NinjaCrackerX

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 10:59:48 AM »
The only ones listed that jump out at me are DEII and Dynastic Hero.  All of the other ones should be completely playable without language issues.  Cotton even has an English option!
Good to know about Cotton, thanks!
That wouldn't help much.  The problem is that the time limit leaves precious little time to look up the correct answer to the random questions, especially when you can't recognize the characters at all.
That stinks. Well what is the usual going price for a US copy? I looked up ebay completed listings and the prices are all over the place!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:01:34 AM by NinjaCrackerX »

turboswimbz

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 11:41:50 AM »
ehhhhhhh Dynastic Hero has been pretty erratic the last couple of months, people paying way too much because omg it's rarez! who knows what one actually goes for anymore . . .
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

bartre

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 03:41:33 PM »
Bomberman 93  - PCE
Cotton - PCE, that version's actually better
Dead Moon - PCE
Dungeon Explorer II - perfectly playable on PCE, but the story will have you lost
New Adventure Island - PCE
Super Star Soldier - PCE
Shock Man - perfectly playable on PCE, but the story will have you lost, though you're still lost with the US, as part 1 never came here
Dynastic Hero - perfectly playable on PCE, but as stated, question bit will take a minute
Godzilla - PCE
Jackie Chan - PCE
Super Air Zonk - PCE

basically, yes.

TR0N

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 03:51:05 PM »
If you want to save money yes buy the pce version of dynastic hero,cotton and dungeon explorer II.The rest you mention can very far as the price go's.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 02:31:36 AM »
Bomberman 93  - PCE
Cotton - PCE, that version's actually better
Dead Moon - PCE
Dungeon Explorer II - perfectly playable on PCE, but the story will have you lost
New Adventure Island - PCE
Super Star Soldier - PCE
Shock Man - perfectly playable on PCE, but the story will have you lost, though you're still lost with the US, as part 1 never came here
Dynastic Hero - perfectly playable on PCE, but as stated, question bit will take a minute
Godzilla - PCE
Jackie Chan - PCE
Super Air Zonk - PCE

basically, yes.

I agree that the price of a US huChip of Shockman isn't really worth it, but the storyline is pretty funny/interesting.

I own the PCE version and enjoy it very much, but wish I could find the US version for less than $30.....

bartre

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 02:51:14 AM »
I agree that the price of a US huChip of Shockman isn't really worth it, but the storyline is pretty funny/interesting.

I own the PCE version and enjoy it very much, but wish I could find the US version for less than $30.....

it can be had for that, provided you're okay with loose.
I got mine CIB for $45, i think, sold/traded the box, i think to hoobs.