Author Topic: New collector to TG-16!  (Read 624 times)

KillScreenGames

New collector to TG-16!
« on: December 25, 2012, 07:44:55 AM »
Hey all, I'm new to TG-16/CD collecting and gaming for that matter.  I got a bunch of TG-16 games locally and got the itch to start collecting.  I was always a Nintendo and Sega fan but never really gave anything NEC a chance.  Now I'm glad I have!  Just upgraded to a US Duo system and got Rondo of Blood and have been avidly playing for the past week or so. 

Anyhow, I'm new to NEC but not to collecting.  I'm about 3/4 of the way through a CIB/sealed Nes set, and have decent chunk of some other systems as well.  Been on nintendoage since about 2006.  It's great to have so many games from that era still be "new" for me with the TG-16.

I'm interested mostly in CIB TG-16 games w/ the cardboard outers and would love to trade with people here. 
Here's a link to what I have so far..
http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/collection.pl?name=cremorecs&folder=Collection&console

I don't want to ruffle any feathers being that this is my first post and I've read the recent thread on buying/selling with noobs around here (ouch!).  But if anyone can recommend some must have games in the CD format or import hu cards by all means please do! 

Thanks!
-Phil

PunkicCyborg

Re: New collector to TG-16!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 07:49:05 AM »
Cool avatar dude!
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

KillScreenGames

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 07:52:28 AM »
Ha thanks! 
I love Adv. Island and Master Higgins is my homeboy.

tggodfrey

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 08:35:46 AM »
Welcome Phil and Happy Holidays to you and your family.  one game you must get no matter what is the ys series.  I am sure your familiar with them on the nintendo platform as well.

everyone has their favorite games but that one will be consistant with every member here. 

Not all games came with boxes, many of the CD ones didnt.  Good luck with your collecting, you will enjoy the library I am sure.

Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

KillScreenGames

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 08:49:19 AM »
Thanks, you as well!

Speaking of which, is there a master list somewhere which has all the games with cardboard outers? I'm a bit of a completionist and this is all new ground for me.

turboswimbz

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 09:01:51 AM »
Hey there.  looks like you got a good start there friend.  The boxes will be harder to come by, there is a great master list of games around, but none that mention which had boxes and not that I know of. though I'm sure others will jump in and help with that list here.

+1 on YS 1/2 , 3 , and 4.   
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

jelloslug

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 11:44:43 AM »
Thanks, you as well!

Speaking of which, is there a master list somewhere which has all the games with cardboard outers? I'm a bit of a completionist and this is all new ground for me.

Well, all of the 94 Hucard (cartridge) games came with cardboard outer boxes with exception of Keith Courage in Alpha Zones (the original packed in game).  21 of the Hucard games did not come with the jewel case style cases, only a cardboard box and a thin plastic tray to hold the game and manual. The 2.0 CD system card did not have a jewel case and the super system card 3.0 came packed in a PC Engine style jewel case with no outer box. The early CD games did include outer boxes but by the time the Duo came out the games were only packed in the jewel cases.

vestcoat

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 02:06:17 PM »
Welcome to the forums, KSG. The only "must-have" domestic CDs are Ys, Lords of Thunder, and the 4-in-1 disc. You should also support homebrew and buy Mysterious Song and Insanity. After that, it's a matter of what genres you like and how deep your pockets are. For import cards, start with Bomberman '94 and one of the Soldier games.

Anyhow, I'm new to NEC but not to collecting.  I'm about 3/4 of the way through a CIB/sealed Nes set,

I'm interested mostly in CIB TG-16 games w/ the cardboard outers.

I jump to a lot of stereotypes when I read statements like these, but I'll try not to be combative. Maybe you can enlighten me or define what collecting means to you: if you don't have any nostalgia for these games and you don't know what their complete state looks like, why pay four times as much for complete games? It sounds like you're committing to pay for stuff you don't know exists. This is an especially strange choice if you're facing an uphill battle for the remainder of a CIB NES set.

IMO, ignorance is bliss. Why not casually enjoy some undiscovered TG loosies and cheap PCE imports while shoveling money into the impossible NES set?

Tatsujin

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 02:52:55 PM »
welcome to the nuthouse up in obeyus :)

and you definitely must go for the pce imports, else you would just miss out WAY TOO MUCH of the gooddies, which making the pce/tg16 such an unique, lovely and powerful system :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 02:53:11 PM »
If you're less interested in buying CIB garbage, and more about buy games that are fun, you can browse around here to see get a idea whats good and whats not on the import and cd side of things:
http://www.videogameden.com/index.htm
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 08:21:33 PM by ProfessorProfessorson »

glazball

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 02:56:58 PM »
  Hi welcome.  Vestcoat brings up a good point, why so eager to collect complete in box?  You'll be just as happy, or happier even, by seeking out complete-in-case copies.  For the 21 later releases that didn't have the jewel case, you can get Sparky's replacement labels and you'll have one truly sexy TG collection.  Looks sharp and the games are all accessible.  Who wants to fumble with the cardboard boxes anyway?
  Enjoy!
glazball's game collection and wantlist

KillScreenGames

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 03:11:38 PM »
I jump to a lot of stereotypes when I read statements like these, but I'll try not to be combative. Maybe you can enlighten me or define what collecting means to you: if you don't have any nostalgia for these games and you don't know what their complete state looks like, why pay four times as much for complete games? It sounds like you're committing to pay for stuff you don't know exists. This is an especially strange choice if you're facing an uphill battle for the remainder of a CIB NES set.

IMO, ignorance is bliss. Why not casually enjoy some undiscovered TG loosies and cheap PCE imports while shoveling money into the impossible NES set?

Perhaps I should have been more clear.  The US TG-16 library itself I'm pretty familiar with and minus Magical Chase is a pretty easy and obtainable system to collect for.  Although some things are pulling stupid holiday ebay prices, for the most part the games are all under $100 CIB w/ cardboard outers, etc.  I'm aware that all the TG-16 games had cardboard outer boxes and that all but the later releases (New Adv. Island, Magical Chase, Falcon, etc.) had the jewel cases instead of the plastic trays a la Game Gear/Gameboy.  I should have stated more clearly that I was interested in knowing which CD releases both US and Japanese had cardboard outers and what they were packaged with.  That's new ground to me.

I would like to obtain a complete in box TG-16 set for fun because I like a majority of the games I've played so far although it's still fairly new and exciting to me.  I'm a completionist, that's just how I am.  It would bother me to have the loose hu card when I can try a little harder to score a complete in box version of the same game for a fair price.  I like the hunt just as much as playing the games. 

Anything else, import TG-16, US or foreign CD based games is a different story.  I'd just like to find out about some fun ones worth playing/having because that realm I am completely ignorant in.  Again, I'd like them to be complete because that's how I am (whether it seem foolish or not) and I'm just not sure what came with what.  I'm not interested in having everything in these categories, just some of the better ones.

As far as sticking to the NES, I'm kind of I need of a small break.  I've been completely going with local finds only for that as of late to make it more interesting and I also just moved recently so everything's kind of boxed up still.  That combination is making me want to take a small little break and try something new for a short stint.

Hope that makes sense and I didn't ramble on too much. 

jelloslug

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 03:52:05 PM »
I don't think any of the PC Engine games had anything other that the jewel cases (and possibly spine cards on CD games).  What types of games do you like?

Tatsujin

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 04:46:03 PM »
There are some games with special cardboard packages (f.e. 3x3 eyes & VHS tape, forgotten worlds w/ Ave 3 button pad, mahjong stuff etc.) for the pce. most of the retail CD games come with a spine. there are also two hucards with extra spine. those are street fighter II' and populous.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Bardoly

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 07:53:13 PM »
Welcome to Pcenginefx!

I do have a couple of CIB's in my trade thread which you might be interested in if you take a look.  I also have a sealed Bravoman not listed there which might be tradeable/saleable.  Just PM me if interested in anything.