Author Topic: TurboGrafx 16 Left OUT!!!  (Read 363 times)

CPTRAVE

TurboGrafx 16 Left OUT!!!
« on: December 26, 2012, 12:55:27 PM »
The exhibit covers 40 years with 20 machines. “I left out a machine that personally pained me to leave out,” he says. “The Turbografx 16, a 16 bit machine
Here is the full article
http://www.pbpulse.com/news/entertainment/arts-theater/are-video-games-art/nTT5f/

That someone is Chris Melissinos, formerly the chief gaming officer at Sun Microsystems for 15 years, currently the vice president of corporate marketing at Verisign, which is quite a resume for someone who’s only 42. He is the curator of “The Art of Video Games,” now at the Boca Raton Museum of Art, which is the first museum to show the exhibit since its premiere at the Smithsonian American Art Museum in Washington, D.C.

Why would he leave it out. I do not get it. It is suppose to be a museum.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 01:08:04 PM by CPTRAVE »

ProfessorProfessorson

Re: TurboGrafx 16 Left OUT!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 01:08:32 PM »
A museum that picks and chooses bits of the history from which to base its exhibit on, from wince it wishes to represent? I'm shocked, seriously.... :roll:

turboswimbz

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 01:14:17 PM »
We must start a letter campaign ASAP.  

THE OBEY CAMPAIGN!

Send your letters now!

ALSO:
The exhibit covers 40 years with 20 machines. “I left out a machine that personally pained me to leave out,” he says. “The Turbografx 16, a 16 bit machine. It was phenomenal, but I chose systems because these were the platforms that resonated in the minds of the public as video games of the period. People know Nintendo and Super Mario and Sonic; they’re more recognized than iconic figures like Mickey Mouse.”
A.K.A. I SOLD OUT!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 01:16:04 PM by turboswimbz »
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

KillScreenGames

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 01:18:01 PM »
Looks like he skipped over a lot.  No mention of any system outside of what was "popular."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Video_Games

I'm surprised the Saturn was even featured..

Tatsujin

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 05:32:11 PM »
Wow, that sucks big duck dicks.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

SignOfZeta

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 05:40:27 PM »
Have you ever actually been to a museum? If so, was its height, length, width, or budget less than infinity? Well, they're all like that.

There is only so much stuff you can fit into a space. There are lots of things that had to be cut out to make room for what he did put in there. There is a Warhol or a Matisse stored in a closet somewhere because they have to have room for f*cking Pac Man. Deal with it.

blueraven

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 06:23:19 PM »
The TG as a footnote in History.

“I left out a machine that personally pained me to leave out”

I'd be significantly more pissed if the Nuon was included.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Tatsujin

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 06:38:19 PM »
It's a bottomless meanness.
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 07:39:18 PM »
They only include shit you see on shirts at Target. 

Oh well.

I have a better museum in my house than those chucklef*cks.  I GOT TRON CABINET, BITCH.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

esteban

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 11:34:26 PM »
UPDATE: Now with links for lazy motherf*ckers. Ooops! I meant "motherf#ckers"...

He (Chris M) actually responded to this (back before the Smithsonian exhibit was available) for reasons Zeta already stated: exhibits always have constraints, and the Gizmondo and the Xavix are never going to make it into the Top of the Pops unless the exhibit is on "obscure" or "lesser-known" video game ephemera.

TOO LAZY TO FIND LINK OK, here you go...

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9304.0
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:45:45 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Tatsujin

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 12:30:02 AM »
Nobody lefts out the TurboGrafx 16. PERIOD!
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 02:01:08 AM »
The exhibit's stated purpose is to show the evolution of video games as an artistic medium, focusing on impressive visual effects and the creative use of new technologies, so it makes little sense to omit the first CD system (both new tech. and providing for improved tunes and more art); even worse is them ignoring arcades, which were the only games pushing the graphical envelope early on.  I could be a simplistic moron and say "they don't have room for everything!", but then I'd have to explain why they managed to find room for a bunch of watered down console ports of computer and arcade games that did nothing to advance the art form.  Like I said before, this exhibit definitely missed their stated aim, but they hit "a US history of popular video games" almost dead on.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 10:59:53 AM »
The exhibit's stated purpose is to show the evolution of video games as an artistic medium, focusing on impressive visual effects and the creative use of new technologies, so it makes little sense to omit the first CD system (both new tech. and providing for improved tunes and more art); even worse is them ignoring arcades, which were the only games pushing the graphical envelope early on.  I could be a simplistic moron and say "they don't have room for everything!", but then I'd have to explain why they managed to find room for a bunch of watered down console ports of computer and arcade games that did nothing to advance the art form.  Like I said before, this exhibit definitely missed their stated aim, but they hit "a US history of popular video games" almost dead on.

ALSO, I wouldn't be surprised if some corporate sponsors are getting some historical "credit" for games in their back catalog. I could be wrong, of course, since I'm too lazy to investigate. I say I have 75% chance of being correct, and I'm fine with those odds.

|    | 

Tatsujin

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 07:18:32 PM »
make it 85% and it would be just as NEW
www.pcedaisakusen.net