Author Topic: Whats your favorite part of this platform?  (Read 708 times)

tggodfrey

Whats your favorite part of this platform?
« on: December 29, 2012, 06:45:15 AM »
Just like the title says.  What your favorite part of this NEC platform.  Is it the hardware, library, simplicity, perhaps all the reviews people do on you tube, or do you just find yourself obsessed with buying games?

For me its not just a piece of my childhood, I enjoy the community of it all.  That included the reviews that Bucci does, the enthusiasm of members here as well as the diversity of everyone (from college students to engineers and programmers).
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

seieienbu

Re: Whats your favorite part of this platform?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 07:08:40 AM »
I always kind of enjoyed the uniqueness of owning a platform that nobody else I knew had.  Playing Dungeon Explorer with 4 other kids all night is possibly my single fondest memory I have with my TG16.

I also remember how angry I was that new Turbo games weren't coming out in America in the mid 90s.  There were still plenty of new games coming out in Japan at the time, so I ended up mowing lawns to buy stupidly expensive import games from out of the back of game magazines.  It would've been a lot cheaper to just buy more local SNES games but I wanted more Turbo CD games.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

GohanX

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 07:34:27 AM »
The thing I like is the uniqueness of the games. The various publishers didn't try to make the same kinds of games as the ones released on the SNES or Genesis, so the system has a personality of its own.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 08:45:47 AM »
Since I was into anime and stuff in the early 90s the art and anime style and themes really grab me. I love games with great cut scenes. I also think the sound chip in the pce is excellent. After playing a hu card game with awesome music and then you play a snes game with that awful reverby trumpet synths there's just no comparing.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

turboswimbz

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 08:51:53 AM »
well it was the first system I played as a child.  And when I decided to actually collect it up, now that i could, I fell in love with the community of collecting, and that others are so into playing the games is cool.  I also just really dig the graphics and sounds from those days.  IDK I like it all, just a fun hobby all the way around. 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

TheClash603

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 09:07:12 AM »
GAMES!!!

Obfuscate

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 09:36:04 AM »
Memories, Shooters and Bomberman

csgx1

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 09:59:12 AM »
The NEC hardware is what I love.  Unique styling and so many variations: must collect them all. 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 10:05:45 AM »
I didn't have anything Turbo until the Duo came out in '92. At first I was drawn to CDROM and the multiple tie ins with the manga/anime scenes. I also was super into 16-bit RPGs so seeing stuff like Ys sold me for sure. Over time I learned that HuCard games are just as good and that the PCE has a huge amount of really unique stuff. The PCE just has tons and tons of character.

I still love those top shelf SNES games like Earthbound and Yoshi's Island more, but there aren't actually that many truly awesome AAA SNES/SFC games, and the lesser stuff just isn't that fun. The PCE is much better at "b-grade" stuff. I'm still discovering great PCE games and I've pretty much gotten everything I can from the SNES.

rsa2000

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 10:21:37 AM »
It unique.  The games... hardware...  and that feeling you get that your not just playing a game, you are experiencing something different.  I love pretty much all consoles but the tg16 has character/ its own feel.  I haven't been a member here long but the community has been great.  I will never part with my tg16/cd.  It will be buried next to me.

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 10:33:45 AM »
I love the Turbo because "It's all the gaming with none of the bullshit"

The games feel very arcade like with a just pick up and play kind of style  Just pop the game in press run and start playing.  The games are very simple and it is that simplicity that makes it so fun.  No complicated this or that just fast fun pick up and play arcade fun.  :)

psychobear

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 11:42:22 AM »
The games, especially having so many shooters and puzzle games, the uniqueness of the consoles look drew me in, the duo is just one sexy looking console. Just wish it had more figthing games.

jelloslug

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 04:00:12 PM »
It was so much different than the other systems at the time.  I have many great memories of my friends and I playing 4 and 5 player games of Dungeon Explorer, Motoroader, and Bomberman '93.

TR0N

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 04:52:14 PM »
Since I was into anime and stuff in the early 90s the art and anime style and themes really grab me. I love games with great cut scenes. I also think the sound chip in the pce is excellent. After playing a hu card game with awesome music and then you play a snes game with that awful reverby trumpet synths there's just no comparing.
Ditto i remember when i first played Valis II and it capture that formula.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Tatsujin

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »
My favorite part of this platform is the undeniable fact that it is The PC Engine!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^