Author Topic: Whats your favorite part of this platform?  (Read 707 times)

nodtveidt

Re: Whats your favorite part of this platform?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 06:05:59 PM »
The uniqueness of the library and the ease of development and distribution of new games compared to the other two major 16 bit consoles of the day.

-D-

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 10:56:08 PM »
Primarily the library(especially the shmups).  But the design aesthetics of the PC Engine is definitely really cool.  The implementation of turbo as a standard for 1st party controllers was an interesting move as well, though I can't stand too strongly behind the D-pads, just feel a tad stiff to my thumb that's been so spoiled by the Saturn pad.

Frank_fjs

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 12:10:42 AM »
I initially ventured in as it was a system that I had never seen in the flesh or played before, it never made its way to Australia. I recall reading about the TurboGrafx-16 in magazines as a child and being highly fascinated by it.

Fast forward a bit and when I decided I wanted to start collecting and playing older consoles the PC Engine was one of the very first items on my list. I went for the Japanese version as I fell in love with that white box of pure sex.

So the system arrived and I had no games and knowing nothing about the system I went out and bought the cheapest games possible, which turned out to be some of the crappiest too. Thankfully SFII was in the mix and after I secured some more fun games I was hooked and have never looked back.

Easily one of my favourite platforms to game on and collect for, it certainly receives a good chunk of my attention.

Here's a picture of the very first time I powered on my own PC Engine (after spending a long time getting it tuned in via RF lol):

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 01:51:03 PM »
I totally love the fact that every time I power on my Tg16 it without a doubt takes me back to my youth when all that mattered to me and my peers was great games and having something unique to show off .. 20 years later this beloved console of mine still trips out my buddy's when they come over for some gaming and drinks .. It brings me much pride to share this consoles history with all that enter my retro gaming world .. Lately I have been gaming with a lot of new school gamers from the age of 19 to 25 and they totally have so much interest and respect for all of my Nec consoles once I break down all the specs, hardware up grades, timeline from when it was around and new to the market .. It' truly our time to shine as early 90's gamers in this new school age of gaming! NEC FOR LIFE !!!
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 03:19:00 AM »
In the beginning the fancy cd rpgs and shewties are what drew me in, but I later learned to appreciate hueys and the wide breadth of unique titles available.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 03:28:17 AM »
Q: Favorite aspect of PCE/TG-16?

A: The little flame for TG-16 has only grown brighter over time. I never thought that this was possible in 1989, or 1993, or 2001. Sure, many of the folks I include in this group are only marginally familiar with TG-16, but mainstream exposure (re-exposure?) to platforms of yesteryear via non-commercial and commercial emulation has only helped spread the Gospel of PCE.

I don't want the flickering flame to go out, ever.

Oh, and my favorite aspect of this platform is the soundtrack to Valis II.
http://junk.tg-16.com/audio/Valis_II/Track_38.mp3
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:30:02 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

rrob78

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 07:55:05 AM »
The games, just amazed me when I was young with the Grafx compared to the NES.

DarkKobold

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 08:14:42 AM »
My favorite part is the hybrid 8-bit CPU and 16-bit GPU, making the system very unique, as far as what it did for games.

The games have the simplicity and charm of NES titles, while displaying graphics equivalent to SNES games. The processor just couldn't do what the SNES or Genesis could do, but I think that gave the TG16 its own unique feel, that is not matched or available on any other system.
Hey, you.

Neurosis138

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 09:53:25 AM »
Back when I was young, I had the Nes, followed by the genesis.  I was a big comic book reader(still love em) and always remembered seeing the bonk or splatterhouse comic book style ads.  I never really understood what the system was.  I thought there was only Nintendo and Sega... was this some sort of weird attachment?  As time went on I forgot about the TG-16, but about 3 years ago I picked up a lot on craigslist just to check it out.  I finally understood the allure of these games, they were obscure(to me), but fun.  As I started to research I realized how many attachments and cards and controllers, etc... there were.  This was a big draw for me, which was trying to figure out what went with which system.  I love the way things are interchangeable, and while I do enjoy the games the hardware really gets me going.  This was a major factor in my renewed interest in sega products also, the varied hardware(cdx, x'eye, sega cd1, laseractive etc...)  After I got most of the Sega stuff, I needed a new system to collect, and TG-16 was that system.  I've since gotten many of the NEC games on my bucket list, and enjoy the heck out of them.  I don't have as much time to play as I used to, having a 50+ hour a week job and a newborn, but when I need a quick fix, it's fun to pick up the old Turbo Express and play a round of Alien Crush.

Sparky

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 09:55:28 AM »
The Games and even more so on the pce, unique goodness.
Original Splatterhouse lives on the tg16 and pce, lick it Genny and snes.

galam

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 10:01:16 AM »
Maybe not my "favorite", but it really is impressive how the total awkwardness (from a general consumer standpoint) of the tg/cd set up, turned into the gorgeous beast of the duo. That thing still looks killer on a shelf even with todays entertainment hardware.

Sparky

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 10:08:54 AM »
Maybe not my "favorite", but it really is impressive how the total awkwardness (from a general consumer standpoint) of the tg/cd set up, turned into the gorgeous beast of the duo. That thing still looks killer on a shelf even with todays entertainment hardware.

You complete meee!