Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 462 times)

magnuslee

Where to start?
« on: January 02, 2013, 11:13:41 AM »
I've been interested in NEC for awhile. After doing a little bit of research, it seems I have more options than the Turbo Grafx 16 system. Which of the NEC systems should I consider purchasing? Is the American Turbo Grafx 16 enough to satisfy my needs?

I like platformers, RPGs, and shooters the most. Input appreciated.

DarkKobold

Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 11:23:59 AM »
The TG16 has great platformers and shooters, but really lacks in RPGs. You need to go to a TurboCD or TurboDuo to get any good (or awful) RPGs.

The often advised cheapest method to play anything is to get a region modded Japanese Duo. However, before investing, make sure you really want to play Ys 1-3, Exile, or Cosmic Fantasy 2. You are still going to spend around $150 more for the Duo, than you would for a TG16, and there are tons of good shooters and platformers on the American TG16 to fill your needs.
Hey, you.

turboswimbz

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 12:37:54 PM »
GET A PCE DUO and (or with) region mod it. THEN you will have access to almost the entire library at a cheaper price than the US DUO. Plus the arcade card duo is pretty cheap as well if you want to play the arcarde games.   There is also a great seller on here Keith Courage who prob has one all cleaned up ect.

Just my 2 cents.

With this you will be in shooter heaven (well over 100) and have several great platformers both US and JP to play.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 01:32:35 AM »
You want a PCE Duo (re-capped) or Duo R/RX.  Don't waste your time on a TG-16 and its incompatible controllers unless you can find one for next to nothing. 
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Black Tiger

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 05:48:38 AM »
If cost is an issue, just buy a PCE Duo and download CD games for free until you decide which games are worth buying. You could also buy a Turbo Everdrive to try HuCards before you buy.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

psychobear

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 05:53:08 AM »
Just like everyone else said a modded duo, Japanese mainly since they are cheap, it has the system card build in so you won't have to buy them separate, also the arcade duo card is cheaper.

A TG-16 set up is just to expensive and have to worry about system cards, etc,

SignOfZeta

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 06:03:32 AM »
The TG-16 is fine if you plan on losing interest in the system quickly. If you are in it for anything like the long haul you'll want a Duo R.

As shipped from NEC it will play all JP HuCards and all CDs and SuperCDs. It won't play US HuCards, but the number of "must have" US HuCards is like...two. With a region mod and an Arcade Card the Duo R will play everything but SuperGrafx (not really a loss) and do it for less money, more reliably. You can eventually buy enough add-ons and adaptors to make a TG-16 do the same, but its going to cost you more since the CD add-ons for the TG-16 cost as much as a Duo R themselves. Also while there are something like ten different versions of the TG16/PCE out there, only the TG-16 takes those controllers with the big-ass connectors on them.

The TG-16 is a fun system to play games on for sure, but its also a dead end unless you have a lot of money. Its not like the Sega CD/Mega CD where a hardcore Genesis fan can almost do without the unit completely. The PCE eventually switched to almost every game being a CD by 1992 so if you don't have it you can't play most of the best games.

Jibbajaba

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 06:34:41 AM »
Duo-R + Turbo EverDrive.

Chris

RoyVegas

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 06:38:39 AM »
A vast majority of the people here are going to recommend that you get a Duo-R for the reasons already stated.
All is well. :)

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 08:27:16 AM »
go big and get a LT+ super cd rom!
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

magnuslee

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 12:11:10 PM »
Wow, thank you for all the suggestions. This seems like a great place. I have lots of research to do!  :P

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 07:13:31 AM »
Get yourself a Duo-R region free modded an Everdrive flash card, 6 button Avenue pad, Duo tap and a Arcade card pro ... After that your petty much maxed out and big pimpin Pc Engine styles !!
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Bardoly

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 07:31:07 AM »
Get yourself a Duo-R region free modded an Everdrive flash card, 6 button Avenue pad, Duo tap and a Arcade card pro ... After that your petty much maxed out and big pimpin Pc Engine styles !!

Don't forget to get a 3-button pad as well for those few games which find it quite useful.

jelloslug

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »

Don't forget to get a 3-button pad as well for those few games which find it quite useful.

I have been finding more and more games that can take advantage of the 3 button pad.

esteban

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 05:04:35 PM »

I have been finding more and more games that can take advantage of the 3 button pad.

Ha! That reminds me, I have to update this:

THREE-BUTTON-FRIENDLY-GAME FAQ

|    |