Author Topic: What the hell is this?????  (Read 900 times)

BigusSchmuck

Re: What the hell is this?????
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 07:45:56 AM »
So thats where that went, it was there 2011 at the Retro Gaming Convention in Portland but not 2012. Wasn't sure what it was then and still don't know what it is now. lol

Bernie

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 07:46:40 AM »
Yeah, really... wth is that?  The video, I cannot explain..  Is it supposed to look messed up?

CPTRAVE

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 07:52:57 AM »
Its a FrankenTurbo :shock:

Tatsujin

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 07:52:59 AM »
it's a circuit bent TG16, that means it got castrated to make some fancy hipster musics.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

ElSeven

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 07:56:43 AM »
hah as soon as I saw that I came here to see if there would be more info.  idk, i think it's awesome. Circuit Bent 80's electronics can be fun to mess around with.
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

ElSeven

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 09:13:25 AM »
hah as soon as I saw that I came here to see if there would be more info.  idk, i think it's awesome. Circuit Bent 80's electronics can be fun to mess around with.

I uh... watched the youtubes on that auction.  I'm trying to figure out what part is awesome... lol.  I can see slowing down the clock would be a good cheat, but the rest?  I'm just lost.  The hardware itself looks cool, though.

Well in a video game playing context, it is useless as this is not meant to enhance that experience.   But when it comes to art (sound art, video, performance art, etc), this modified system becomes a unique vehicle to use the graphics from TG16 games as the basis for an art piece.  As someone who not only loves retro video games, but also has a passion for glitchy art installations, this modified system is very exciting to me.

...but not for $499, lbr.  :roll:

also, if you search around the internet for circuit bent items, you'll find that it is fairly common for toy keyboards and misc 80's electronic toys to have been manipulated outside of their original intended use.  It is not always for artistic purposes, sometimes it's just for fun, and other times it is to enhance the original experience of using the equipment (i.e the pxl-2000 pixelvision camera).

In the experimental music community, it is also common to see musicians tinkering with circuit bent casio keyboards, guitar pedals, or the ever popular Speak And Spell.  I'm starting to sound like wikipedia, so I'll shutup now!  8)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:39:48 AM by ElSeven »
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

ElSeven

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 09:44:01 AM »
As someone who not only loves retro video games, but also has a passion for glitchy art installations, this modified system is very exciting to me.

...but not for $499, lbr.  :roll:

Heheh, yeah, for $499 you could pick up an standard turbografx with those games and some psychoactive party favors so you could enjoy the circuit bent experience at will without any hardware mods.

one time i took bath salts and played China Warrior.

changed my life.
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

DarkKobold

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 10:29:47 AM »
hah as soon as I saw that I came here to see if there would be more info.  idk, i think it's awesome. Circuit Bent 80's electronics can be fun to mess around with.

I uh... watched the youtubes on that auction.  I'm trying to figure out what part is awesome... lol.  I can see slowing down the clock would be a good cheat, but the rest?  I'm just lost.  The hardware itself looks cool, though.

Well in a video game playing context, it is useless as this is not meant to enhance that experience.   But when it comes to art (sound art, video, performance art, etc), this modified system becomes a unique vehicle to use the graphics from TG16 games as the basis for an art piece.  As someone who not only loves retro video games, but also has a passion for glitchy art installations, this modified system is very exciting to me.

also, if you search around the internet for circuit bent items, you'll find that it is fairly common for toy keyboards and misc 80's electronic toys to have been manipulated outside of their original intended use.  It is not always for artistic purposes, sometimes it's just for fun, and other times it is to enhance the original experience of using the equipment (i.e the pxl-2000 pixelvision camera).

In the experimental music community, it is also common to see musicians tinkering with circuit bent casio keyboards, guitar pedals, or the ever popular Speak And Spell.  I'm starting to sound like wikipedia, so I'll shutup now!  8)

I think the original Gameboy is really popular for this synth whatever. Not sure why.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Circuit%20bent%20gameboy

Google seems to agree?
Hey, you.

roflmao

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 11:11:58 AM »
As someone who not only loves retro video games, but also has a passion for glitchy art installations, this modified system is very exciting to me.

Heheh, yeah, for $499 you could pick up an standard turbografx with those games and some psychoactive party favors so you could enjoy the circuit bent experience at will without any hardware mods.

changed my life.

This is my new favorite thread. :)

rsa2000

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 11:53:42 AM »
Seeing that poor booster hacked up like that makes my cry inside a little...

Obfuscate

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 11:58:08 AM »
I have a studio and play and make electronic music (used to be a Rave promoter and DJ) and you could do some cool things with this in a Live PA or in sampling. The video doesn't do anything for me.

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 02:19:44 PM »

changed my life.

This is my new favorite thread. :)
I know, right? I nominate elseven for post of the year! About made beer come out my nose when i read that.

I have to agree that post was brilliant lol.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 02:21:54 PM »
I'm semi-hip to the whole chip tunes/circuit bending scene, but this thing is way overpriced.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 03:26:22 PM »
I saw this thing this morning. He has done the same thing to a super famicom, xeye, and other stuff. Just meh, whatever. His stuff, his money, but what a shame.