Author Topic: Skateboarders Can Also Be Retro Game Nerds ...  (Read 2196 times)

Nec.Game.head

Skateboarders Can Also Be Retro Game Nerds ...
« on: January 07, 2013, 04:37:32 AM »
Posting this up because I'm actually really curious to find out if their are any other members on here that ride a sk8board .. I've been sk8boarding since 86' .. My older brothers were into skateboarding and of course I had to follow as a little 6 year old dude in their foot steps .. I actively still sk8board and ride for a small time sk8board company called Sensitive skateboards .. Sk8boarding had been my one and only passion until around 99' when I started to get into gaming and collecting .. After I had a taste of how awesome it felt to have some of the older game consoles from the past and share them with friends I got hooked! Street fighter 2 was what really got me into collecting at first, I started looking for all the console ported versions of it and would have some really competitive battles with my friends after a long day of sk8boarding and being filmed .. Smoking fat blunts, pounding 40's of Mickeys and playing some 2d fighters with friends quickly became a everyday ritual after that .. lol what can I say now that I think about it at age 33 I guess I was just a typical kid from the suburbs of SE Los Angeles .. Over the past 10 years a lot has change in my personal life because of the freedom I was able to have being a paid sk8boarder .. I slowly started to seek out other gamers that were a little more into collecting games and consoles and were not into partying like I was .. It's been really rough at times becoming close friends with other gaming nerds because of our obvious lifestyle differences .. It's been pretty rad in the past 4 years though, I slowly became the gamer sk8 dude with all the consoles at home that welcomes his family and friends over to enjoy some retro gaming, home cooked meals and a great peaceful vibe once you enter into my otaku life!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 04:46:04 AM by Nec.Game.head »
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: Skateboarders Can Also Be Retro Game Nerds ...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 04:52:57 AM »
I used to all the time.  I was really into jumping off of really high things to see if I'd land without painful results.   

I used Powell and Hook Ups boards, independent trucks, bones swiss bearings, and powell wheels

But then all the local skateboarders started picking on me since I was 4-5 years younger, had bright orange hair, and wore stupid looking clothes...so I went home and played Skate or Die 2 instead.   If I tried to use paintguns and eggs in real life, I'd be beaten to death.   Kind of odd looking back now, that the so-called rebellious dudes picked on me.    POSEURS.   YEAH.

Then I got into rollerskating instead.  Real rollerskates, not rollerblades.  I still use powell wheels and bones swiss bearings.  ;).

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

soop

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 05:05:01 AM »
Yeah, it was my life for many years.  There was a pretty big scene in my city, and I still see a lot of people I met through skating.  A lot of them were or became sponsored/pro.

I miss it.  I toyed with the idea of getting a new deck last summer, but it was never really dry long enough.  My old one is second hand, so it's not really set up the way I like it, but I know the local shops blanks are really good at the moment.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 05:17:10 AM »
I was thinking the same thing, actually.  I haven't been on a skateboard in a long time.  It might be fun to see how long I can go before I crack the deck in half from jumping off a flight of stairs for the 490230923th time.

I almost wanna get a fishtail one so I can be legit as f*ck.

EDIT: But, its f*cking January in Ohio, so that can wait.

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 05:19:51 AM »
Awesome, their is some ol sk8 heads up in here! Sk8boarding & Gaming I love it! This pic here is of the guy that started Hook Ups brand back in the early 90's .. The very first dude to incorporate anime and gaming in his sk8 video's and sk8board deck art work .. My number one sk8boarding hero of all time Jeremy Klein .. He was a game tester and was involved with TTI back in the days .. I have some high profile sk8r friends that are buddies with him .. Ive been working on trying to meet up with him to get some insider news on the company and to to find out what his Pc Engine collection is like ..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

turboswimbz

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 05:32:32 AM »
I use to skate evey now and then, never really got into, other things came along somewhere down the line.   I still have a very lightly used element skateboard somewhere with independent trucks, and TNT bearings... man was I proud when I eaned enough for that set up.  I still find the board every now and then and think about the days as a teenager riding the board around (p.s. I haven't seen a jeremy klein anything in years)
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

soop

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 05:54:34 AM »
I remember one time, we were all hanging out at Laser Quest (as usual) and I fancied a skate, but I didn't have my board, so I asked my friend if I could borrow his brand new, unblemished Hook Ups deck.  He reluctantly agreed, on the proviso, be very careful, and no boardslides.  He wasn't much of a skater.

Anyway, it just so happened that his favorite band (Therapy) had just been ... signing stuff?  In the local Virgin Megastore, completely unbenkownst to us.  As I came back down the hill, there they were standing outside smoking a fag.  God know how I knew it was them, might have been that they were all wearing Therapy shirts or something.  So I was all like "Hey, aren't you guys Therapy?" and had a little chat with them, and said "hey could you guys sign my friends board?"  Really lovely guys, they obliged.

But I decided to ham it up a bit.  On entering, I kept the board faced away, and with a sheepish look on my face, I was like "eerrr, dude, about your board..."

His eyes went wide.

I...  I kinda ... GOT IT SIGNED BY THERAPY.

His eyes went wider, and then he picked me up and spun me around.  He dashed off to see them, but they were gone.  I expect he still has it, and it was never used again.

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 05:59:10 AM »
That's a jawesome story and pic you posted, NEC Game Head! You can spot a smiling Jonathan Brandstetter! Nice find!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 06:17:27 AM »
Hah.   "Smoke a fag".

That's great.

I always found that Hookups boards f*cking sucked, but the giant boobied pictures made it worth owning.

soop

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 06:19:27 AM »
Hah.   "Smoke a fag".

That's great.

I always found that Hookups boards f*cking sucked, but the giant boobied pictures made it worth owning.

Yep, too heavy.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 06:37:50 AM »
Yeah, well the boobs are so big its no wonder they're heavy.

I like the powell boards.   They are a nice weight and are pretty sturdy.   Plus, the art is pretty cool.

I want to put rails on whatever board I get.    Why am I looking at skateboards.  Goddamn.

One thing I never got into was ramps.   I was too hesitant on the halfpipes and would always kinda bail.

soop

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 06:56:05 AM »
Yeah, well the boobs are so big its no wonder they're heavy.

I like the powell boards.   They are a nice weight and are pretty sturdy.   Plus, the art is pretty cool.

I want to put rails on whatever board I get.    Why am I looking at skateboards.  Goddamn.

One thing I never got into was ramps.   I was too hesitant on the halfpipes and would always kinda bail.

God yeah.  The most I ever did on a ramp was when we got drunk and bundled over the wall to the back of the skate shop one night, because they had a mini-ramp out the back.  How I didn't severely injure myself I have no idea.

Must have been all that practice of skating drunk I suppose.

bob

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 07:32:42 AM »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 07:40:39 AM »
I was more a fan of doing things like it was 1979 since most of what I figured out on skateboards came from some HOW 2 SKAETBORD book from the 70s.   So they were using Banana boards and shit.   It was pretty hilarious.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 08:17:52 AM »
I was going to mention Jeremy Klein, but you already know about him, so, I digress.  I used to skate, but I never could do anything, & I mean, doing an ollie was a chore!  I could maybe barely do one while NOT moving.  I found doing a 180 kick flip was much easier, but I still couldn't really skate.  I mainly just hung out with skaters, & moved my board in the direction of wherever they were headed :D  This was all north of you, in the Conejo Valley/Thousand Oaks/Westlake Village area.  Mainly hung out with Daniel Mullenix.  I haven't talked to him in years, I think he ended up getting big into Hapkido. 

I don't think any of the guys I hung around became big or anything, but I think they ended up knowing some of the big timers BITD.