Author Topic: Turbo Grafx Collecting  (Read 2173 times)

Keith Courage

Turbo Grafx Collecting
« on: January 07, 2013, 07:20:10 PM »
I was wondering..... Are most people in here out to own a copy of Every U.S. released Turbo Grafx game or do most of you just buy the good games that you enjoy and forget or sell off the lousy ones?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:34:24 PM by Keith Courage »

pc_kwajalein

Re: Turbo Grafx Collecting
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 10:09:54 PM »
I'm the latter. I've tried to compile complete libraries in the past, but I never made even made it to 10% of any list. I have a very impressive Bonk/Zonk collection that spans across many consoles and a couple handhelds, but my interest fizzled about 5 games shy of completion, plus I'm thinking about selling it off.

But now I just accquire games that I enjoy, or game series that I like. It's easier for me. 
My past-life would've surely led to our demise, and I had left it not a moment too soon. Our escape, though dangerous, had gone well. The train ride, sunlight, and passing snow-covered pine trees came together in a flickering show of our bright, new future together. Her head rested on my shoulder as she soundly slept to the gentle rocking of the passenger car. We felt freedom. We felt peace.

soop

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 10:18:54 PM »
I'm the latter. I've tried to compile complete libraries in the past, but I never made even made it to 10% of any list. I have a very impressive Bonk/Zonk collection that spans across many consoles and a couple handhelds, but my interest fizzled about 5 games shy of completion, plus I'm thinking about selling it off.

But now I just accquire games that I enjoy, or game series that I like. It's easier for me. 

Yeah, I'm a little confused about the whole thing.  Basically, I know what games I want - what's "next on my list" so to speak, but some time ago, when I'd bought all the first choice of (reasonably priced) games, people pointed out a load of other great games I wasn't necessarilly aware of.

Then, there are games which are quirky and weird.  Some, like Be Ball are great, some like Kickball are less to my taste.

And after THAT, you've got the cheapo games that don't look like much but are pretty darn fun, like Motoroader.

I think the plan is to pick and choose the games as and when they appear, snapping up bargains.  Then when I get to the point where all I have left to get are Mahjong games and Darius Alpha, it would be stupid not to complete :)

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 11:30:49 PM »
I was wondering..... Are most people in here out to own a copy of Every U.S. released Turbo Grafx game or do most of you just buy the good games that you enjoy and forget or sell off the lousy ones?

You know, probably the most US titles I owned at one time was around 60'ish titles. This was back when I was a teen, and I believe I did have a few hu-card titles that I honestly could care less about, but at that point I was getting my hands on anything Turbo related and checking them off a released game list. Tv Sports Basketball, Turrican, Talespin, and a couple others. I'm not like that now. I don't have any aspirations to get a complete set of anything anymore on any console. Doing that just opens up your library to games you will obviously have no intention of playing, regardless of them being good or bad, and in other cases, you end up with some obviously really bad titles that get shuffled to the back due to a mix of lack of play and obvious scorn.

Obfuscate

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 01:11:40 AM »
I only collect the games with sentimental value from my childhood and as many shooters (TG-16 and PCE) as I can.

fsa

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 01:13:15 AM »
For me I am caught in between as I know there are game I will never be able to afford so I just try to get hold of anything Turbo related that I don't currently have (thankfully i got some of the good Hu cards way back in the 90's). I am into "SHMUP" and I try to find any or every one I can for any system. My 2 cents.
Looking for TG16 games I don't have already.

turboswimbz

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 01:47:32 AM »
     I love collecting anything turbo, and thinking about the history of the items - I pretty much play even the bad games every now and then.  At this point though I'm just collecting, while a whole set would be cool, it's not the main focus, or a make it or break it thing for me, playing them all is. (this is why I'm sure at some point I'll emulate or maybe go with an everdrive)  Maybe one day that will change, but for now, my goal is to get and play a many of the US titles as possible as see where the ride take me.  On the PCE side I just look for the games I want to play, and if i get one not to my liking I sell it or trade it.   
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 02:17:15 AM »
I'm interested in games that I liked playing back in the day or never got the chance to play. I really see no point in getting a complete collection as I know all it will do is collect dust and never get played.

Tatsujin

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 02:30:49 AM »
since few years, due to the lack of play-time, I'm more of a collector.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

KingDrool

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 03:07:31 AM »
See my signature! ;)

I know I'll never get the complete collection, though. I'm not selling one of my kids' kidneys in order to buy Magical Chase.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

FiftyQuid

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 03:16:49 AM »
At first I was out to own a copy of every U.S. release, but I imposed a $20 limit on myself for each game.  This kept me from losing my head.  As the amount of games I owned grew I strayed from that limit (for hard to find titles), but all and all I maintained my composer.  There were a few months where I would get home from work and there was something in my mailbox every night.

Nowadays (over a year later), I've mellowed out.  I'm still trying to complete a U.S. collection, but "trying" is almost too strong a word.  If I happen across a great price on a hu card or CD-ROM or SCD I'll toss some $$$ at it, but I'm not "on the hunt" like I was before.

I'm mainly playing my NES right now and I bought a SNES off BlueBMW that I'm sure will see some instant action once it arrives.  I'm still casually looking for a PC-FX too.

I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

roflmao

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 03:29:43 AM »
I've never intended on trying to achieve a complete collection for any console.  Having said that, I have picked up a number of games for the TG16/PCE that were not initially on my "must have" list because I've read about them here and found them on the cheap (most recently, Volfied and Hatris, both of which I'm really digging).  So my library is much larger than I had ever anticipated, and if I never pick up another game for the system, I'll have enough to keep me happy forever.  But that doesn't stop me from looking out for the occasional deal I can't pass up. :)

For all my other 8 and 16-bit consoles, I only have a dozen or two games; just the ones I've held onto since bitd or have been looking for.  Those systems don't get as much play anyway. ;)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 03:56:17 AM »
I'd like to one day have a complete TG-16 collection, though it'll likely never happen and I don't obsess about it; I'll just keep snagging missing Turbobs when they pop up (and any PCE titles that tickle my fancy), and if it happens it happens.  And I'm okay keeping the few real stinkers that'll get little to no play time, as they aren't worth much of anything and take up little room. 
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

FiftyQuid

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 04:14:37 AM »
I'd like to one day have a complete TG-16 collection, though it'll likely never happen and I don't obsess about it; I'll just keep snagging missing Turbobs when they pop up (and any PCE titles that tickle my fancy), and if it happens it happens.  And I'm okay keeping the few real stinkers that'll get little to no play time, as they aren't worth much of anything and take up little room. 
Yeah, the stinkers tend to stay in their cases, but it's not like I'll get anything for them if I sell them.  So I just enjoy looking at the game case.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

Jibbajaba

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 04:20:46 AM »
I basically buy games with no overall goal in mind.  For other systems, I'll get rid of games that I buy and end up not liking, but for the turbo, I hang on to them.

Chris