Author Topic: Turbo Grafx Collecting  (Read 2151 times)

DragonmasterDan

Re: Turbo Grafx Collecting
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 04:24:43 AM »
I am two games short of a complete set (I don't count Kiosk Discs, or the girlie gallery discs as games). So I do collect, however I also play my games. Admittedly some more than others. Even the terrible games like Tailspin, Darkwing Duck, Impossamole, Night Creatures and Falcon have been played. Sometimes I even intentionally bust out bad games when friends come by to have them torture through it. So yeah, I definitely collect but I also play.
--DragonmasterDan

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 04:42:44 AM »
i buy what i want to play. i prefer pce unless the moonspeak hinders me so ill buy the turbob version in that situation if its available at a good price.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

csgx1

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
I only buy/collect games that I have an interest in playing.  If I had a full set, there would be a lot of titles that I would never play. 

I guess full sets are cool to look at and to brag about but I feel it's money and space wasted when games just sit on shelves not being played/enjoyed.   

CPTRAVE

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 09:13:38 AM »
 :-k thining about it, it seems that I play my games that I buy. and I love seeing my library grow. So I am into both right now collecting and gaming. 

ElSeven

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 10:28:25 AM »
I've been steadily purchasing more and more pce/turbo games over the past... 15 years or so, but there have been huge gaps of time that I completely ignored my collection while I was busy with other systems (saturn, sfc,  dreamcast, famicom, etc).  I recently decided to go for a complete US Turbo collection, but I sadly feel that I'm priced out of owning everything.  I have no desire to pay over $150 for any one game.   I'll probably end up at 97% of the library and just make fancy cd-rs for the remaining 5 expensive games and use an everdrive for magical chase.  I had a complete magical chase at one point (in my collection for about 10 years), and sadly had to let it go due to unrelated financial strain  :cry: :cry: :cry:

Since magical chase is only 4Mbit and the Arcade Card can load 16Mbit, has anyone tried to load a hacked rom off an ACD?  I remember a few years ago there was the Super Hucard project, but I don't recall if an ACD was ever attempted.  I'm sure this idea has already been tossed around a million times and is prob impossible...

nvm, just read about the 256KB Duo RAM.  that answer's that  ](*,)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:41:12 AM by ElSeven »
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

syphic

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 12:44:52 PM »
I never intended to go for a full set just mainly pick up titles that i loved playing back in the day but when I found that lot of rare titles and knocked some of the biggies off in one shot i decided to try and go for a full set.
Awesome trades and deals with:
Fiftyquid, thesteve, keithcourage, mothergunner, Bernie, turboswimbz, Bardoly, BlueBMW, Galam, Nullity, Jtucci31, sirhcman,  Elderboroom, dicer

psychobear

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 12:46:26 PM »
For me I started with the 10 games I had for 15 years. Never wanted a full set until a couple of years ago.

I figured that a full or a near TG-16 set was more realistic then any other set for another system. I also recently left a hobby that was just a money pit that in the end was not gonna be worth what time and money I put in it. So I sold it. I started to buy the titles I wanted to play long ago and I figured I should have a crack at it. I collect for NES and SNES but mostly the titles that I always wanted to play and the titles that bring back memories.

Some turbo games won't get played as much as other but every few weeks I slide one in (bad games need love to).

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 01:02:30 PM »
I collect and I play, the two are completely intertwined for me :)

DrBread

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 01:53:47 PM »
I only buy the good games and watch gameplay to figure out the good ones that i would like.
I really like video games...

Sadler

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 02:05:29 PM »
Kind of off topic, but I'm not sure I understand the whole "I only buy good games" thing. With very few exceptions, the not great US releases are cheap. People practically (or literally) give away games like TV Sports and Power Golf all the time. You can still get Tailspin sealed for cheap (and I don't think that's a bad game). You can make the case that Magical Chase or Dynastic Hero aren't worth the price they go for and I totally see where you are coming from, but they really are good games. I can't think of many games that are considered shitty that go for that much. I guess Darkwing Duck isn't cheap, and I don't really enjoy World Sports Competition, but outside of that, what "bad" games cost more than $10 or $20? Most of them can be had for $5 loose, in many cases less complete.

soop

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 08:47:33 PM »
Yeah (and bear in mind I collect PCE here), there are a tonne of games that aren't widely regarded as "good", but in reality the PCE doesn't actually have many bad games.  In fact, one could argue that fact that it only has "games you don't like".

Stuff like Volfied, Be Ball, Puzznic, Marchen Maze, Gomola Speed don't often make it into people's top 10, but I can sit down for an hour easy and play them (apart from Gomola Speed which I don't own).

reno5

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 12:09:01 AM »
I would like to get the full US set but i'm not rushing it. If i see a game i'm missing at a great price i go for it.

I'm curently trying to play and finish more Turbo games. I'm an RPG fan so i'm curently playing Neutopia and Dragon Slayer.

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2013, 01:54:10 AM »
Yeah (and bear in mind I collect PCE here), there are a tonne of games that aren't widely regarded as "good", but in reality the PCE doesn't actually have many bad games.  In fact, one could argue that fact that it only has "games you don't like".

Stuff like Volfied, Be Ball, Puzznic,.

I love Puzznic!  It was my very first PCE game :)  I agree though it will never be in my top 10 but I still play and enjoy it.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 02:36:32 AM »
Kind of off topic, but I'm not sure I understand the whole "I only buy good games" thing. With very few exceptions, the not great US releases are cheap. People practically (or literally) give away games like TV Sports and Power Golf all the time. You can still get Tailspin sealed for cheap (and I don't think that's a bad game). You can make the case that Magical Chase or Dynastic Hero aren't worth the price they go for and I totally see where you are coming from, but they really are good games. I can't think of many games that are considered shitty that go for that much. I guess Darkwing Duck isn't cheap, and I don't really enjoy World Sports Competition, but outside of that, what "bad" games cost more than $10 or $20? Most of them can be had for $5 loose, in many cases less complete.

For me, just because they are cheap does not mean they are worth getting. To me it's just tossing money away that could be better spent towards games I really do want to play. Id rather take 40 bucks and buy something like Gradius II, then to buy TV Sports Basketball, World Class Baseball, and China Warrior. I may end up with 3 more games, but it is 3 I will never play, so why buy them? I don't buy games with a collectors mentality though. I just like buying stuff I know I will enjoy.

vestcoat

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 05:59:11 AM »
When I started, I only pursued games I wanted, but I also bought plus cheap unknowns when I stumbled upon them. There weren't a whole lot of online TG reviews in the Nineties/early 2000's and I've never been into emulation; how was I to know which games were bad? TG games don't take up much space and I saw no reason not to blow $10 on Shadow of the Beast or Tailspin. I'd spent so many years drooling over pictures in TTI mailing and EMG that I wasn't about to let some text-only Turbolist review dictate my purchases.

The thought of collecting didn't occur to me until I had ten years and 80+ games under my belt. Inflating prices and the fact that I already had most of the rarities motivated me to make a checklist. Other than Dynastic Hero, I only paid $100+ for two games (Bonk 3 hu cib, Bonk 3 scd) and $50+ for a few more (Cotton, BS, Godzilla, Terraforming).

I would not have collected with prices like they are now. In 2010, I decided MC was out of my range and threw in the towel. I'm happy with my 99% set and I still buy PCE games a couple times a year, but I couldn't care less about condition and I'm happy to grab loose discs and hucards when I have the chance.

Id rather take 40 bucks and buy something like Gradius II, then to buy TV Sports Basketball, World Class Baseball, and China Warrior. I may end up with 3 more games, but it is 3 I will never play, so why buy them?
For me, the "bad" games are part of why I like the system. Other than the occasional RPG, sim, or strategy game, video games don't hold my attention like they used to and I rarely play single-player action games for more than half an hour. Because of this, I have almost as much fun playing Darkwing Duck as I do SMB3. The only TG games I never touch are the two football games, the boxing/kickboxing titles, and Falcon.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 06:02:36 AM by vestcoat »