Author Topic: Turbo Grafx Collecting  (Read 2176 times)

Obfuscate

Re: Turbo Grafx Collecting
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 08:21:16 AM »
Id rather take 40 bucks and buy something like Gradius II, then to buy TV Sports Basketball, World Class Baseball, and China Warrior.

Problem with your logic here is World Class Baseball is f*cking awesome. Me and my friends played the shit out of that one back in the day and I still go back and play through it probably once a year. TV Sports games and China Warrior can suck my balls though.

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 10:00:43 AM »
China Warrior isn't that bad.  It's sort of like a timing game.  It reminds me of an early precursor to timing/rhythm games of today.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 10:01:44 AM »
Id rather take 40 bucks and buy something like Gradius II, then to buy TV Sports Basketball, World Class Baseball, and China Warrior.

Problem with your logic here is World Class Baseball is f*cking awesome. Me and my friends played the shit out of that one back in the day and I still go back and play through it probably once a year. TV Sports games and China Warrior can suck my balls though.

I just never liked it and never will. To be honest though I am very picky about any sports title I will play. World Class Baseball is just not one of them.

SMF

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 11:05:06 AM »
I never set out to complete the entire set of U.S. games. By the time I was an adult I had roughly half the games. So if I seen a game I didn't have at a used game store cheap I would snatch it up. Now I look back at some games I picked up and I'm glad I did some of them are pretty badass.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

Obfuscate

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 02:10:46 AM »

I just never liked it and never will. To be honest though I am very picky about any sports title I will play. World Class Baseball is just not one of them.

LOL, to each their own. I just don't think you can compare to the TV Sports games or China Warrior as those games are simply broken gameplay where WCB actually plays pretty smooth for an old Baseball game.

The Burnin8or

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013, 06:28:47 AM »
I'm content to pick up games I had when I was young as well as games I was interested but missed out on back then. Having a complete collection isn't anwhere in my plans, although would be cool.

DarkKobold

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 01:04:39 PM »
My opinion:
Hey, you.

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 04:36:48 PM »
I recently considered just going for it and dropping some serious cash if I had to in order to have a complete US HuCard collection .. But then I came to my senses and realized I really don't need every game especially since theirs a whole ton of the US HuCard games that pretty much blow and are not worth the trouble of obtaining especially for the bragging rights .. I'm just gonna keep it real and obtain only what I'm truly gonna play ...
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

mrhaboobi

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2013, 06:25:09 AM »
i started about 8 years ago, so prices were better then and i used to buy large lots and sell/trade what i didnt need, i also got lucky buying sealed dynastic heros for $50 ( 2x) and the odd cheap super air zonk, and they because good trade material, i did always want a complete set, mainly due to growing up as a kid with a pc engine, well a friend who had one.. but i loved it more than him :).. I have just one hu card to buy ( sinistron ), and the odd manual and replacment box before i have a CIB collection, i was lucky enough to get Magical Chase ( us version ) from a Yahoo.jp auction for cheap ( well truth be told my GF at the time, now my wife, bought it for me as a bday present ) manual and box both came separately, manual via digitpress ( i paid $60 for that at the time which felt like such a rip but im glad i have it now ), box came via this forum as part of a trade with another collector..  Im also keen on any mags, promo items etc.. my two main collecting bugs are TG16 and Dragon Quest :)..
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx

rrob78

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2013, 03:06:18 AM »
Im mostly consentrating on collecting the games I played when I was young, Keith Courage, Bonk's Adventure, which I have now, but also some of the good games that are within my budget. I doubt id be able to go for the entire library that was released in the US, it would be nice though.

soop

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2013, 03:19:10 AM »
I've found at several points I've aquired "all the games I really want" only to discover there is yet more awesomeness.  I can't realistically see a point where I'll be "done".

SignOfZeta

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2013, 05:52:52 AM »
I never "complete" any collection, but if I did it wouldn't be a video game collection. There are too many bad games out there. I'm not going to spend any money or devote any space to games that are shit. I have too may other hobbies, other passions. Rather than pay a grand for Magical Chase I'd be traveling someplace or buying car parts.

The systems with the best good/bad ratio are probably the Neo Geo and the Neo Geo Pocket, but even those systems have a dozen or so stinkers (Gowkaiser, pachislot shite).

If I were to "complete" a video game collection it would probably be NGP, Wonderswan, or Dreamcast. It certainly wouldn't be NEC, and it sure as hell wouldn't be US NEC since the box art is f*cking horrific, and then there are those cheap-ass outer boxes, and the games that only have cheap-ass outer boxes and no case...its like collecting match books or pogs or something.

To anyone who "collects", that's fine, but make sure you are enjoying life to its fullest before you spend all your money on plastic crap you won't even play.

mrhaboobi

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2013, 09:07:30 AM »
If I were to "complete" a video game collection it would probably be NGP, Wonderswan, or Dreamcast.

I actually have a complete PAL Dreamcast collection :) very cool!! awesome shooters!..
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx

DarkKobold

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2013, 09:23:27 AM »
It certainly wouldn't be NEC, and it sure as hell wouldn't be US NEC since the box art is f*cking horrific,

I don't understand this. I love the NEC box art, for the most part.
Hey, you.

turboswimbz

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2013, 09:41:26 AM »
It certainly wouldn't be NEC, and it sure as hell wouldn't be US NEC since the box art is f*cking horrific,

I don't understand this. I love the NEC box art, for the most part.

just becuase some love it doesn't mean it still wasn't terrible. (and it was/is BAD)
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.