Author Topic: Turbo Grafx Collecting  (Read 2160 times)

esteban

Re: Turbo Grafx Collecting
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2013, 04:53:56 PM »

THERE WAS SO MUCH BAD ART back in the day. TG-16 is not the worst offender. At all. TRUTH.

|    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2013, 07:14:09 PM »
It certainly wouldn't be NEC, and it sure as hell wouldn't be US NEC since the box art is f*cking horrific,

I don't understand this. I love the NEC box art, for the most part.

Some people like to have hairy women piss on their face. What's your point?

"Turbografx 16: Like a Hairy Woman Pissing on Your Face!"®

Several times here I've explained how I think there was basically no way the TG-16 could have been a hit in the US no matter how it was handled, but the incredibly bad box art sure didn't help.

soop

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2013, 09:38:10 PM »
It was bad.  I hate bad box-art.  And I've made no bones about the fact that I think the TG-16 is an abomination compared to the PC Engine.

esteban

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2013, 03:34:38 PM »
TOPIC: Cover Art.

STANCE: YOU GUYS ARE KRAZY.

THESIS: The worst offenders, for TG-16, are easily eclipsed by HORRENDOUS ART on other North American platforms that co-existed with our beloved TG-16: NES, SMS, GENESIS, etc.

EVIDENCE: Open your damn eyes (OYDE).

BONUS THESIS - JAPAN HAS CRAP: Don't act like Japan didn't have a significant amount of lame art as well. Thankfully, Japan's crap:quality ratio was (arguably) lower than North America. I'm not as familiar with European releases of console games to comment on that part of the world. ANIME = CRAP, you bastards. It might as well be Scrappy Doo and Barney Rubble and Astro and Josie on the covers of games. YOU THINK THAT JAPAN'S SCRAPPY DOO AND JAPAN'S WILMA RUBBLE ARE SUPERIOR? Ha! It is, in fact, nothing but common garbaggio (as Mussolini would say).

EVIDENCE: Open your damn mind (OYDM).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 03:36:12 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

roflmao

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2013, 03:40:15 PM »
Truth.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
I can buy that generic manga characters are roughly equal to generic Hanna Barbara characters.

What I can't buy is that bad Turbo art is anywhere near the level of either. The original art done for Cosmic Fantasy 2 (US) is absolutely f*cking horrible. It's not simply a western equivalent to the Japanese original.

Furthermore, WTF is the point of (badly) westernizing the box art anyway? The entire game is full of its original art. In the HIGHLY unlikely event that the US customer bought CF2 because of the shitty box art then he's going to be pretty pissed off by all the big eye stuff inside.

Btw, the JP cover of Victory Run is pure magic. It isn't manga-esque at all and it was replaced with some crappy-ass generic middle school airbrush art project.

It's true that other systems had terrible art as well (Megaman...wow) but...this is an NEC forum so that's probably why the TG gets the attention here.

vestcoat

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2013, 05:50:51 PM »
THESIS: The worst offenders, for TG-16, are easily eclipsed by HORRENDOUS ART on other North American platforms that co-existed with our beloved TG-16: NES, SMS, GENESIS, etc.
Overall, maybe, but if you compare the box art year by year, the TG was behind the times. Most box art sucked in the Eighties, but the TG is remarkable for consistently blowing chunks well into the Nineties.

The SMS had the worst art of any system ever, largely due to Tonka's games released in '86-88. By '89, Sega moved away from lone soccer balls and clip art bare feet and begun to use decent(ish) centerpieces. The white checkerboard still made everything look bad, but the background art slowly expanded and got better until the system died in '91.

The NES was unusually good for the Eighties. Using pixel art for the early games really saved Nintendo from the embarrassing first steps Sega went through. The uniform consistency looked good and the art never looked worse than the actual game. There was some bizarre stuff like Mega Man (which I liked), but the third-party art was good too. I bought a lot of used NES carts at a secondhand store in '89-90 and there was enough good label art to make my ten-year-old self very indecisive. I spent half an hour trying to choose between Metal Gear, Legacy of the Wizard, Tiger Heli, Trojan, Dragon Warrior, and Godzilla one day.

I'm not a Genesis gamer, but IIRC, the early Genesis titles looked pretty good. There were a few duds like Sword of Vermillion, but black boxes really helped.

The TurboGrafx... I don't know where to start. Looking at the wall in Toys R Us was like going back in time five years. As excited as I was about the TurboGrafx, its games didn't look nearly as cool as the NES or Genny. A real leap of faith was required to buy an unknown game. I would never have considered games like Dungeon Explorer, Ys III, or CF2 without some serious convincing of EGM and VG&CE.

The small library made it worse. While the NES and Genesis had a continual flood of new games to sweep the occasional bad art off the store shelves, the TG stagnated and never had enough releases to get the launch titles off the rack. The vidpro cards for Takin' It to the Hoop and all of those hideous orange spine games were still burning themselves into my memory when the few stores that supported the TG started clearing their stock in '92. By the time TTI had good box art, nobody stocked it.

SMF

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2013, 06:38:55 PM »
The Turbos box art was so bad I loved it lol.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

SignOfZeta

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2013, 06:49:50 PM »
I wonder if the choice TTI made to use so much original art near the end was a reluctant one.

"Jeff, where is that new art for Lords of Thunder you said you could get for us cheap from that guy who does the velvet paintings for sale in the parking lot of the 7-11?"

"Well, boss, it turns out he doesn't actually do those paintings. He just sells them. Sorry."

"I don't care! Just have him get me something ASAP!"

"Sorry, he's back in jail again, boss."

"Damn it, Jeff, now we're going to use this weird-ass Masamune Shirow stuff. Well, we can at least make the logos really huge to cover up as much of it as possible. I guess the days of great covers like Valis III are behind us now. Mike said the woman on that cover looked like a tranny, but I don't see it. I'm glad I fired him.

soop

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2013, 08:35:34 PM »
^ Exactly, Zeta.  I like to imagine that the head of marketing had a retarded cousin who did shit drawings, whom he would hire to do the box art.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2013, 11:57:17 PM »
I wonder if the choice TTI made to use so much original art near the end was a reluctant one.

"Jeff, where is that new art for Lords of Thunder you said you could get for us cheap from that guy who does the velvet paintings for sale in the parking lot of the 7-11?"

"Well, boss, it turns out he doesn't actually do those paintings. He just sells them. Sorry."

"I don't care! Just have him get me something ASAP!"

"Sorry, he's back in jail again, boss."

"Damn it, Jeff, now we're going to use this weird-ass Masamune Shirow stuff. Well, we can at least make the logos really huge to cover up as much of it as possible. I guess the days of great covers like Valis III are behind us now. Mike said the woman on that cover looked like a tranny, but I don't see it. I'm glad I fired him.

It wasn't just NEC and TTI making bad cover art. I mean US Cosmic Fantasy 2 is quite an eyesore too and that was Working Designs.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2013, 05:36:56 AM »
Did TTI actually make bad cover art? For the most part it seems they used the good stuff. LoT, Dungeon Explorer II. I have like five US games so I don't really remember.

MotherGunner

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2013, 05:47:55 AM »
For the most part it seems they used the good stuff. LoT, Dungeon Explorer II.

Recycled Japanese Art, so yes.  =)
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2013, 06:27:28 AM »
Did TTI actually make bad cover art? For the most part it seems they used the good stuff. LoT, Dungeon Explorer II. I have like five US games so I don't really remember.

Most of the bad cover art comes from the first couple of years, then it started to get somewhat better until TTi came along and fixed it for good.

SuperPlay

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2013, 06:39:21 AM »
Slightly off the main topic however I created a thread a while ago which compares the cover art work of TG16 and PCE releases.

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9703.0

I must find some time to complete this along with fixing the dodgy links etc.