Author Topic: Cosmic Fantasy Series  (Read 359 times)

gbapalyer

Cosmic Fantasy Series
« on: January 08, 2013, 09:33:05 PM »
hello,

i wonder how do you like the cosmic fantasy series?
whats your opinion about each part (1,2,3,4-1,4-2)?

i played through part 1 (16 hours) and part 2 (17 hours) recently and right now iam 3 hours into part 3.
the first and second games where pretty good but they where too short. characters where cool and those anime scenes also.

the games are not as good as those rpgs from rayforce but close.

and now lets hear your opinion. ;)

gbapalyer
Currently playing:   (Started  . Feb. 2013)

KingDrool

Re: Cosmic Fantasy Series
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 01:48:52 AM »
The only one I've played is 2, simply because of the language barrier. I adored that game back when it first came out. It was really the first traditional RPG that I played from start to finish. It hasn't aged so well, however. Though I still love the game, it gets pretty tedious.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 05:14:33 AM »
1 and 2 are incredibly crude. Three is pretty fancy...looking, still not exactly Final Fantasy in the gameplay department. 4 parts 1&2 are *really* fancy. The graphics are extremely good, gameplay...still not really up there with even an average SNES RPG for some reason. I really do like this series though.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 05:35:45 AM »
I've enjoyed the titles in the series that I've played.  I currently own 1-3, and have played 2 the most times, again, like you, because it's in English.  I've never really given 1 or 3 a serious try outside of listening to the soundtracks and/or watching cutscenes.  I like the series a lot from what I've played.

Great soundtracks too!

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 05:50:45 AM »
I've only played all the way through 2. However, I have all five games and the visual collection. Here are my thoughts on them.

Part 1 seems good for a very early CD-ROM RPG. I made it a little ways in, the design is nice, the music is decent. I liked what I played.

Part 2 is a good game overall, great art, story and character designs. The actual gameplay both battles and exploration leave a little to be desired but overall I like it more than Dragon Slayer to make it the best US released JRPG on the Turbo.

3 I got a little ways into and looked a lot like 2 but perhaps a bit more polished.

4-1 Had about 40 minutes of digital comic stuff to wade through, talking to a chick at a pool. Talking to another chick at a pool, going to a meeting. I felt like I was at work. By the time I actually got to control my character it was like an hour in and I didn't know where to go.

4-2: Started off with a digital comic although not as long of one. I couldn't figure out where to go after a certain point and gave up.
--DragonmasterDan

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 05:05:26 PM »
The only one I've played is 2, simply because of the language barrier. I adored that game back when it first came out. It was really the first traditional RPG that I played from start to finish. It hasn't aged so well, however. Though I still love the game, it gets pretty tedious.

Ditto.  It was my first true RPG.  I bought it cuz of the article about it in EGM, those cinemas just looked sweet!  I still like to play thru it from time to time.  I hope that the rest of the games get translated one of these centuries.

gbapalyer

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 05:15:38 PM »
there are some pretty good walkthroughs at gamefaqs which you can use to play through cosmic fantasy 1 and 3. i also have a walkthrough for 4-1 (translated from japanese to english) and i did post a link for a walkthrough of chapter 4-2. just check the "Compendium of walkthroughs for PC Engine RPGs" thread. ;)

yesterday i played part 3 a little further and i noticed that nearly every second attack of a character ends in a "miss". is that normal? and will it be like that in cosmic fantasy 4 too?
also battle encounter rate is very high which can be annoying sometimes (backtracking).

shubibiman

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 06:52:17 AM »
1 and 2 are straightforward but still enjoyable. I hated playing 3 and 4-1 was far from being one of my favourite PCE RPG's. I liked 4-2 though.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

gbapalyer

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 07:10:39 PM »
finished 3 yesterday. overall it was a good game but there were a few things that i hate:

- there is no overworld map so it was sometimes difficult to see where to go next
- random battles too frequently
- every second attack of a character missed the target
- boss battles were to easy (final boss especially)
- no challenge at all

if i had 4-1 right now i would continue with that one...but i only have a 4-1 manual and case with a 4-2 cd in it (hitjapan sent me the wrong game months ago and i did not notice, now i have two 4-2), instead i play through basted now. that should not last too long...

Bardoly

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 10:11:09 AM »
So, I saw in the other thread that you already finished Basted.  How was the game?

gbapalyer

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 05:45:48 PM »
So, I saw in the other thread that you already finished Basted.  How was the game?

the one thing that comes immediately to my mind: short.
it has a playtime of only 3 hours in total and most of the time you are watching great cinemas. but gameplaywise there is not much to do in that game besides of talking to people, reading some notes, open some chests (heck why, you dont get anything from them, there are no items in the game) and doing some battles (at least the battle system is nice, you can charge up your attacks and do different special attacks, and you can choose before nearly every battle if you want to use anita or ryeza). i would rate the game 4 of 10.

try it because it has some fun but dont expect to much of it. there is a great walkthrough at thebrothersduomazov.com.

i think i will start fuun kabuki den now...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:47:39 PM by gbapalyer »