Author Topic: Games on CD worth buying, that works with the system card 2.0  (Read 1107 times)

jperryss

Re: Games on CD worth buying, that works with the system card 2.0
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 02:43:04 PM »
There are many games that are completely playable in JP, but I'm thinking Ys is probably not one of them, so go for the US version.

darshie

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 03:17:47 PM »
Um...I don't have an answer to that. I don't know what you mean by "SG".

If you don't speak Japanese I would get the US version.

My BAd, I meant TG (turbo grafx).

So they are worth the same ? In that case I would go for the EN version.

turboswimbz

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 02:11:26 AM »
both are going to cost you around 30 - 50 bucks shipped from what I've seen. (sometimes you can pick up a JP version a little cheaper)  The story is fantastic though and you will get a much better value from the english version even if it costs a little more.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 02:19:35 AM »
I second that motion to get a arcade card pro and you'll be able to play almost everything!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Engine-ARCADE-CARD-PRO-Grafx-Import-Japan-Video-Game-c-pe-/300836610630?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460b426246
and hit japan accepts best offers, I suggest you use it.

darshie

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 11:44:31 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions; I will go for the ENG version them :)

I've checked that store and it has pretty good prices; has a lot of good feedback so most likely I will give them a try. But do I really need the arcade card? I have already the Neo geo games on the original console, so I am not planning to get any of them for the PCE (plus it is 60 bucks...I saw some 3.0 cards for about 20-30).

Accepting offers is a good thing! Usually I wonder why people put on Ebay that they accept offers when in the end they never take your offer :P

roflmao

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 12:47:59 PM »
With the Arcade card you'd be able to play Sapphire. :D And all CD and SCD games.  It's worth it for Sapphire, though. :)

turboswimbz

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 01:20:58 PM »
it's up to you on the arcarde card or not.  There are several games that require the extra arcade card.  my suggestion would be to get the 3.0 card and worry about the arcade when you find something you want to play if your that unsure.  The advantage to the Arcade card is that you can play ANY and all games with it, so if you want to pick up an arcade title you can with no problem.  (although there is 1 or 2 exceptions to that)
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

spenoza

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 07:14:32 AM »
I second Splash Lake and Buster Brothers/Pomping World. They are both fun action/puzzle titles that are rather unique in gameplay and have great graphics and play control. Splash Lake was the first regular CD-ROM title I owned and I played the crap out of it. It has little Pac-Man-like intermissions and tons of "secret" levels. Seriously. Go get them if action puzzlers are your thing.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

darshie

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 04:42:53 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions....I realized that pomping world is called also Pang....loved that game on the arcade :)

I will check splash lake :D from the gameplay videos looks fun! I love puzznic, plotting, puyo puyo and columns...puzzle are perfect for having some fun, between a shooter and an action game :D

Honestly; if I get the Arcade games with the card; how much value do they retain? I want a complete collection but if I gotta put money for something that I don't really play (I have most of them on the NEo geo), at least I hope that they will keep in value :)

soop

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 09:39:08 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions....I realized that pomping world is called also Pang....loved that game on the arcade :)

I will check splash lake :D from the gameplay videos looks fun! I love puzznic, plotting, puyo puyo and columns...puzzle are perfect for having some fun, between a shooter and an action game :D

Honestly; if I get the Arcade games with the card; how much value do they retain? I want a complete collection but if I gotta put money for something that I don't really play (I have most of them on the NEo geo), at least I hope that they will keep in value :)

All you really need to worry about is Sapphire.  It's seriously f*cking good.  But you'll need a bootleg from somewhere, the real version is expen$ive.

I really like plotting too, I 'm surprised they never released a PCE version.  But luckily they DID release Puzznic :D   Get that too!

vestcoat

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 09:28:39 AM »
You're a head-scratcher.

You're asking for game suggestions because you're hesitant to make the $20 investment in a 3.0 card, but you own a Neo Geo. You want a complete collection, yet you're concerned how well the library of ten-dollar ACD games will hold their "value."

This weirdness is verging on Regalsin.

esteban

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »
You're a head-scratcher.

You're asking for game suggestions because you're hesitant to make the $20 investment in a 3.0 card, but you own a Neo Geo. You want a complete collection, yet you're concerned how well the library of ten-dollar ACD games will hold their "value."

This weirdness is verging on Regalsin.

I, too, am troubled by this.

|    | 

darshie

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 01:17:28 PM »
Well, my preferences are based on 2 points:

1) I am making a collection, but I don't want to invest thousands unless it is worth....I know that the whole thing of saving goes against the main point of collecting something (it is expensive by definition). If I can go on with what I have already, I am glad to avoid to spend more money :) So for now I have the 2.0 card and I can play and collect games that run on a 2.0; then I can buy a 3.0 and buy other games that run on 3.0. The arcade card sounds good, but since I do not play these games, I don't buy them just for the sake of the collection....it is a delicate balance between what I play and like, and what I collect jut for making a profit once I will sell it.

2) I collect other systems and other things....and I have a simple job so I can't afford "everything", nor I can settle on just collecting one thing :) I spend already hundreds on collectible toys and games, so once that I run low on cash I gotta prioritize, and the arcade games for the PCE are really low on the list.
The idea is that eventually I will run low on interest and sell the PCE collection (or my wife kicks me out of the house first); and start with something else, so at least I want to get first what I play with, and enjoy, before than just buying for the sake of completeness.

Neo Geo sells pretty well; I had multiple offers from many collectors, to get my games and console, so that's why I went for that road...with the PCE I've noticed that prices may vary a lot (some crazy people were selling bomberman "sealed" for 400 bucks; while others had an almost new copy for less than 50 dollars...but even with non sealed games the prices goes wildly), and this is scary since if I buy games that I don't even play, for a bunch of money, and then want to sell, I get stuck if the market goes down.
I will buy and sell stocks if I wanna go for that road, hence my idea to focus on what retain value.

Of course you can tell me "then do not collect games, because this is what it is", but I would find this pretty limiting....we do things because we want, and we do not stop just because someone think differently, right? :)

I am not asking you to understand me of course; we are all different after all ;) I don't know why any of you collect PCE stuff, but all that I collect is because I love it,I had it when I was a kid or never had it when I was a kid; I am attached to my stuff and sometimes sad when I get rid of them; In a perfect world I have the time, the money and the space where to put anything I want, but ain't gonna happen in the real world.

vestcoat

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 05:02:27 PM »
It is a delicate balance between what I play and what I collect just for making a profit once I will sell it.

The idea is that eventually I will run low on interest and sell the PCE collection...

with the PCE I've noticed that prices may vary a lot...and this is scary since if I buy games that I don't even play, for a bunch of money, and then want to sell, I get stuck if the market goes down.

I will buy and sell stocks if I wanna go for that road, hence my idea to focus on what retain value.
So...you see the PCE as an investment and you're already planning to sell your games for profit. f*cking great.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 07:56:19 PM »
I hate this guy.