Author Topic: Games on CD worth buying, that works with the system card 2.0  (Read 1110 times)

darshie

Games on CD worth buying, that works with the system card 2.0
« on: January 10, 2013, 02:29:49 PM »
Hi guys

I found myself a bit disoriented about CD games...I've got  2.0 system card with my CD unit, and figured out that it will not play Super cd games :)

Until I find a 3.0 card at a decent price, I was wondering if you can suggest me some games that are worth getting for the 2.0 system.

I have the emulator for the PC engine, so I can try the HUcard games, but for the CD I was not able to find any image, ready to play on the emulator (found some archives with a bunch of audio files, but I was not able to find ISO images that can be mounted on the virtual drive, so the emulator would read them). So I have no idea about the games available for the CD2.

Any suggestion? I would exclude RPGs since I don't read Japanese (same for any other game that involves reading the text to understand and play the game); Other than that I have no particular preferences...trying to build my collection so anything goes :)

I will eventually buy also Super CD2 games, when I find the system card, but for now I would like to start with the CD2 games :)

Thanks!

roflmao

Re: Games on CD worth buying, that works with the system card 2.0
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 02:38:26 PM »
Spriggan!  One of my favorite shooties for the system and it's not a Super CD!

Other must-haves and/or worthy titles:
Ys Book I & II
Ys Book 3
Monster Lair
Buster Brothers
Sidearms Special
Hellfire S
Super Darius

darshie

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 02:41:37 PM »
Thanks roflmao :) I've noticed that the majority are all SCD, and it sucks that I cannot play them (yet) :)

I've heard of spriggan (which seems not the same spriggan of the anime that came out years ago); but ys are not RPGs? Is there an EN version that would play with the 2.0 system card?

Gotta check the others...other than darius are new to me :D

roflmao

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 02:51:13 PM »
Thanks roflmao :) I've noticed that the majority are all SCD, and it sucks that I cannot play them (yet) :)

I've heard of spriggan (which seems not the same spriggan of the anime that came out years ago); but ys are not RPGs? Is there an EN version that would play with the 2.0 system card?

Gotta check the others...other than darius are new to me :D

Yep, there are English versions of the Ys games, Monster Lair (which is half platformer, adventure island-style and half horizontal shmup), and Buster Brothers (also known as Pomping World for the PCE).

Sidearms Special is basically the hucard version of Sidearms along with a "B.C." Arranged mode that I find more fun to play, though both versions rock.

Hellfire S  is a horizontal shooter where your ship shoots in different directions (forward, backward, up and down, and all 4 diagonals) and also includes some, ahem, fanservice in the cutscenes.

Super Darius is hard as nails and pisses me off right now.  But I keep coming back and getting pissed off, so there's something to it.  Kyukyoku Tiger used to be the same way to me and now I love that game.

Tatsujin

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 02:52:10 PM »
Seirei Senshi Spriggan is a classic vert shoot'em up, with some big arcade action on screen. one of the best you can get. its probably also my fav. CD-ROM game :)

There is only lil japanese in the intro and between the level's cut-scenes. I'm very certain that you can perfectly survive without understanding a bit of it :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Keith Courage

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 03:58:48 PM »
There are quite a few. Here are some not mentioned yet

Cosmic Fantasy 2 is in English.
Download 2
Raxanber II
Valis II, III, and IV
Lords of the Rising Sun

I happen to have a spare Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Lords of the Rising sun on hand. If you are interested in either one just send me a message.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 06:24:38 PM by Keith Courage »

TR0N

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 06:51:54 PM »
Exile,there is a u.s version
Schibibin Man 3
Last Alert,u.s version if you want some laughs

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

vestcoat

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 09:15:39 PM »
I found myself a bit disoriented about CD games...I've got  2.0 system card with my CD unit, and figured out that it will not play Super cd games :)

Until I find a 3.0 card at a decent price, I was wondering if you can suggest me some games that are worth getting for the 2.0 system.

Even through this is the PCE forum, I assume you have a TG+CD; otherwise the price of a 3.0 card wouldn't be a factor.

You won't find a U.S. 3.0 card for a decent price (under $100). What we tell everyone is to get a PCE 3.0 card ($10-20) or an Arcade Card Pro ($30-60) and a Chopsado converter (dirt cheap). Bingo. Play everything.

I have the emulator for the PC engine, so I can try the HUcard games, but for the CD I was not able to find any image, ready to play on the emulator (found some archives with a bunch of audio files, but I was not able to find ISO images that can be mounted on the virtual drive, so the emulator would read them). So I have no idea about the games available for the CD2.

This sounds like a soft ask for ISO's. Don't toe that line!

There are plenty of old-fashioned ways to familiarize yourself with the CD library without emulation. In addition to forum opinions and limitless youtube videos, check out Turbografx review sites. Superplay lists many in his excellent thread of links under Collecting & Games Lists etc. Start with VGden and Brother Duomazov. PCECP or pcedaisakusen can list every game by format. Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:17:26 PM by vestcoat »

turboswimbz

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 12:24:51 AM »
I found myself a bit disoriented about CD games...I've got  2.0 system card with my CD unit, and figured out that it will not play Super cd games :)

Even through this is the PCE forum, I assume you have a TG+CD; otherwise the price of a 3.0 card wouldn't be a factor.

You won't find a U.S. 3.0 card for a decent price (under $100). What we tell everyone is to get a PCE 3.0 card ($10-20) or an Arcade Card Pro ($30-60) and a Chopsado converter (dirt cheap). Bingo. Play everything.
If you want to go the PCE 3.0 with converter route; I have an extra japanese 3.0 card I imported in.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:20:21 AM by turboswimbz »
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 02:29:59 AM »
In addition to some of the other fine suggestions, look for It Came From The Desert, L-Dis, Splash Lake, Vasteel, and Terraforming.  And +1 on buying a PCE 3.0 card - they're cheap.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

soop

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 05:02:54 AM »
Pomping World.  You need this.  I'm gonna go play it right now.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 05:29:35 AM »
The absolute best is Ys 1&2. L-Dis is pretty cool.

Bernie

• Facebook URL
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 07:34:43 AM »
The absolute best is Ys 1&2. L-Dis is pretty cool.

Seconded!

darshie

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 01:10:52 PM »
Thanks for your replies :) I think that I will go for most of the ones that you mentioned.

BTW is there a difference in collector's price between the english and japanese version? Since Y's is available also for SG, I was wondering if is better to get the Jap or Eng version, to retain more the value of the game :)

SignOfZeta

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 01:58:06 PM »
Um...I don't have an answer to that. I don't know what you mean by "SG".

If you don't speak Japanese I would get the US version.