Author Topic: You Know What They Say About Assumptions...  (Read 539 times)

pc_kwajalein

You Know What They Say About Assumptions...
« on: January 12, 2013, 04:09:50 AM »
As long as I've owned a TG-16 or Duo, I've never played Legendary Axe II,  and to tell you the truth I'm not really seeing anything that's making me wanna play. Granted, I've only seen gameplay vids and screenshots but damn, it sure as hell does NOT look (nor sound) like it has the timeless, beautiful appeal that Legendary Axe was smothered and covered with.

Anyone here played LAII? What's your take on it?
My past-life would've surely led to our demise, and I had left it not a moment too soon. Our escape, though dangerous, had gone well. The train ride, sunlight, and passing snow-covered pine trees came together in a flickering show of our bright, new future together. Her head rested on my shoulder as she soundly slept to the gentle rocking of the passenger car. We felt freedom. We felt peace.

MrFlutterPie

Re: You Know What They Say About Assumptions...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 04:54:47 AM »
I like it even better then LA 1 myself :)

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 05:11:30 AM »
I like Legendary Axe 1 more. Part 2 is not bad by any means though, but it is more along the likes of a Rastan clone then a direct follow up to part 1, so the experience part 2 gives is a bit different.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 05:28:24 AM »
I have more of a nostalgic attachment to the first game as it was one of the very early games I played for the system along with Alien Crush, Blazing Lazers and Keith Courage. It's a good game in and of itself, I just don't like it as much as the first.
--DragonmasterDan

turboswimbz

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 05:31:25 AM »
the first thing to do is to not compare them as part 1 and 2. They are just totally diffrent styles.  that being said 2 is a side scrolling great platformer/action game that is chock full of action, pretty darn decent graphics and a few bits of good sounds, and is probably one of the better hu-card platformers for the system.  Controls work well, and there are no slow downs.  However it is simply not as much fun as 1 for me,  IDK why it's just missing something that makes it as cool as 1. (there's nothing that makes you have that OMG moment)  that being said I still like it a lot. 

Bottom Line: This is a solid game and if you havn't tried it, you really must, you might find yourself liking more than the first one.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Keith Courage

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 05:33:27 AM »
I like both but then again I just love platformers in general. I like 2 more if I had to choose. The controls are less sloppy and I really like the theme of the artwork in the game.

MotherGunner

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 05:43:23 AM »
I never got 1 when I was a child, but a friend in school did give me 2 at the time.  My attachment is for 2 and I quite enjoy it.  The music is killer...  Today I own both and I very much enjoy 1.  I believe 1 was "Game of the Year" one year too.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

vestcoat

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 06:10:38 AM »
Remember that they're not true sequels. LA2 was an unrelated game in JP.

I like em both. LA1 has more charm and there's something addictive about the play control. LA2 is easier and has better hit detection, but the atmosphere is depressing... well-done, but depressing.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 07:39:59 AM »
Heck, I love LA2 for just the soundtrack alone!  One of the best chip soundtrack's IMO.  But I ultimately prefer it in general to LA1.  LA1 is great, but a bit harder, & a littler unforgiving.  I think it's mainly trying to land on platforms in some spots that bugs me about LA1.  Ofcoarse, LA1 has a great soundtrack as well, but I'm quite partial to the sounds of LA2, Dungeon Explorer, Bonk 1 & 2, & Twin Cobra.  There's also a wrestling game that uses the same sound scheme, though I always forget if it's Maniac Pro Wrestling, or that Monster Wrestling game.

Bernie

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 07:42:23 AM »
LA 1 all the way.  I have 2, but just cant get into it...

futureman2000

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 08:03:28 AM »
LA1 has much better level design, imo. I never finished LA2, but I recall the stages droning on before I quit.
Take off yer flip flops and set up the tripod: it's bag kickin' time!

pc_kwajalein

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 08:15:01 AM »
Thanks everyone for the input.

The first Legendary Axe, to me, was just great in every way; particularly in the visual department. I loved the vibrant, colorful stages that Gogan toted around his axe in. The music was catchy, and the SFX worked well.

Based on what was said here, I'll have to give LA2 a try.
My past-life would've surely led to our demise, and I had left it not a moment too soon. Our escape, though dangerous, had gone well. The train ride, sunlight, and passing snow-covered pine trees came together in a flickering show of our bright, new future together. Her head rested on my shoulder as she soundly slept to the gentle rocking of the passenger car. We felt freedom. We felt peace.

ccovell

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 10:29:22 AM »
The atmosphere in II is brooding and ominous, but it's actually far less frustrating than LA1.  Even the final stage can be navigated in 1 or 2 lives for an average player.  Compare that to the ramping difficulty curve mid-way through LA1.

LA2 also has that incomparably f*cking awesome soundtrack.

bartre

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 10:42:21 AM »
personally, I gotta go with LA II, i like the overall theming and enemies better in that one, not to mention the soundtrack.
plus, the option for multiple weapons makes the game a little more varied for me.
the only thing that really bothered me about LA I is certain things weren't actually timed out, and instead were based on when they first came on your screen, particularly the ropes, and this made certain jumps ridiculous.

Tatsujin

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 01:27:54 PM »
In real life, there is no such thing as a Legendary Axe II :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^