Author Topic: More people know what intellivision and celcovison look like than the TG-16?  (Read 1353 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
I missed the Xbox, SMS II, N64, and Intellivision, and I got lucky guessing the Colecovision from it being mentioned.

I'm honestly not surprised that so many people missed identifying the TG-16.  Likely many of the poll takers are hipster collectards that own one and buy pricey boxed Turbobs, but how would they know what they look like when they never play with 'em?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
I missed the MSII.  Dang, I'm not sure if I've ever seen one!  O_O

Tatsujin

peeps should be deeply ashamed  :|
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Got them all. MS2 not big in the USA?

Neither master system was popular in USA, lol.

Not at all.  The original master system was clobbered by the NES and by the time SEGA released the MSII the Genesis was everyone was buying.

Ehh, the MSII came out in 1990 before the Genesis came on strong in 1991. The SMS II was mostly a discount item and was only carried by a handful of stores at release. Most places discontinued selling SMS stuff in the US by that point. So it was mostly limited to Babbages, Software Etc, Electronics Boutique, and Toys R us selling the SMS II.

Genesis came out in 1989 in USA.

The reason the Master System 2 exists is BECAUSE of the success of the Genesis. 

It's sort of like how NES2 came out after SNES.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Frank_fjs

Funny about the Master System not being popular in the US, it was huge in Australia and a lot cheaper than the NES, both for the console and especially games.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
Nintendo of America basically bought their success by forcing third parties to be NES exclusive, or f*ck off and die. 

Basically.

KingDrool

Got em all, but the Xbox one stumped me for about 30 seconds. I own that system, but it's been a while...
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
Got em all, but the Xbox one stumped me for about 30 seconds. I own that system, but it's been a while...

I tilted my head and went "wtf is tha.. ohhhhh right! That thing!"

I only turned it on to play Steel Battalion.  I barely remember what a real xbox controller looks like.

DragonmasterDan

Genesis came out in 1989 in USA.

The reason the Master System 2 exists is BECAUSE of the success of the Genesis.  

It's sort of like how NES2 came out after SNES.

The Genesis didn't start selling REALLY well ("come on strong" as I worded it) until 1991 when Sonic came out. The Sega Master System II existed because Sega of America had a lot of unsold Tonka distributed games and wanted to produce a cheaper revision of the hardware in an attempt to move the excess stock of North American master system games.
--DragonmasterDan

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
Sega sold like mad before 1991 around Cleveland.   Where did you live?   Sega was like crack.   People fist fought for them.

DragonmasterDan

Sega sold like mad before 1991 around Cleveland.   Where did you live?   Sega was like crack.   People fist fought for them.

Chicagoland

In 89 and 90 it selling only slightly better than the Turbo. When 1991 hit things changed, Sega marketed the heck out of Sonic the Hedgehog.  Sega also dropped the price on the Genny that Fall and bundled it with Sonic and sales soared. The Altered Beast era Genesis did decently but was a long ways from setting the World on fire.
--DragonmasterDan

ProfessorProfessorson

FiftyQuid

Prof, the teacher isn't suppose to hand out the answers to the test!
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

ProfessorProfessorson

But I'm handing out 100 percent A+++ today for free. You all get a pass. Congrats for all the hard studying and work you put in. :P

DarkKobold

The Genesis didn't start selling REALLY well ("come on strong" as I worded it) until 1991 when Sonic came out. The Sega Master System II existed because Sega of America had a lot of unsold Tonka distributed games and wanted to produce a cheaper revision of the hardware in an attempt to move the excess stock of North American master system games.

Wasn't the SMS2 also a result of the popularity of the SMS in Europe? 

Also, its interesting that the SMS was absurdly popular into the 2000s in Brazil, well beyond the 8-bit generation.

I also noticed an error in this test. They label the Playstation "PSone." However, the PSone is actually the slimline version of the first Playstation, and the picture actually shows the original model of the Playstation. /pedantic.
Hey, you.