Author Topic: More people know what intellivision and celcovison look like than the TG-16?  (Read 1342 times)

MotherGunner

I gave up after the first two tries.  I guess this "test" is very syntax-heavy.

Meaning you HAVE to put "N64" rather than "Nintendo 64" or "Playstation" as opposed to "Sony Playstation"

It was telling me wrong answer even though I typed it all out;  Stupid. 
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

DragonmasterDan

The Genesis didn't start selling REALLY well ("come on strong" as I worded it) until 1991 when Sonic came out. The Sega Master System II existed because Sega of America had a lot of unsold Tonka distributed games and wanted to produce a cheaper revision of the hardware in an attempt to move the excess stock of North American master system games.

Wasn't the SMS2 also a result of the popularity of the SMS in Europe? 

Also, its interesting that the SMS was absurdly popular into the 2000s in Brazil, well beyond the 8-bit generation.

I also noticed an error in this test. They label the Playstation "PSone." However, the PSone is actually the slimline version of the first Playstation, and the picture actually shows the original model of the Playstation. /pedantic.

Well, I think that it's success in Europe accounted for it as well. But Sega got stuck with a far amount of unsold cartridges from their Tonka SMS partnership in the 80s and had trouble selling full priced master system hardware (especially with the Genesis now on the market) to help move those cartridges. Sure Genesis owners could buy a power base converter, but an easy solution was hatched to create a cheaper de-featured version of the Sega Master System so they could potentially grow the base of potential buyers of these carts to bargain shoppers.

I vividly remember going into Electronics Boutique in the early 90s and looking at racks of SMS games, lots of 9.99-19.99 games and then the 49.99 Master System II being for sale as well. Some games were still full price (Phantasy Star cost more than the system did), but it was being marketed as a discount item. The kind of thing retirees living on social security gave to their disappointed grandkids.
--DragonmasterDan

vestcoat

Love the SMSII.  Too bad the RF out makes the video look so bad. I almost bought one at Children's Palace when it came out, but I stupidly waited until Summer '92 right before stores cleared their shelves. I wish I could have enjoyed its last two years on the market.

Back on topic, I missed the Intellivision, ColecoVision, 2600, and PS3. I got the Xbox 360, Dreamcast, and Wii by guessing. I'm proud of my results - stay out of my childhood and I'll stay out of yours.

DarkKobold

Love the SMSII.  Too bad the RF out makes the video look so bad.

http://www.damomonster.com/Mod_Pages/SegaMasterSystem.html

Don't know your mod skills, so if you can't do this, maybe a competent modder here would do this for you on the cheap.
Hey, you.

esteban

That was fun.

I missed the SMS II, like lots of folks, apparently.

I never even held one of those in my hand. I scratched my head for the N64 and Gamecube (barely played them) but just guessed.

|    | 

wallzter

Damn SMS II!!!!!

Tatsujin

Those more people are morons.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Aggie Tsubi

If someone has any familiarity with the system at all, I think the TG-16 picture is one of the easier ones, considering you can even see a card in the slot.

I somewhat guessed on a couple (like the Master System one; I only have an original Master System and I've used it so little that I don't even remember what its power switch looks like, haha), but the original Xbox was the only one I gave up on. Shows how little I care about that system, haha. Still haven't bothered to buy one even after all these years. It's funny because I actually like the 360 pretty well, and it's the PS3 that I still don't own, which is opposite of what I had the previous generation. The original Xbox has almost nothing on it that remotely interests me, but the 360 has gotten a decent amount of Japanese-developed games.

esteban

|    | 

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Q)   Wasdfjisdogfrhoij5i93y9865ut09h506yuhj

A) ? 
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

NightWolve

Pretty cool test! Good find! Well, I got about a little less than half correct. Was surprised PS3 is in there and not PS2. I assumed one of the two classic looking ones (minus Atari 2600 which was easy) was a Coleco, but that's all I would type and it wouldn't go through. I couldn't remember the 'vision' part.

reno5

Only missed the SMS II as i never seen one. Only in picture and honestly never looked at the power button on the pics ;)

soop

On the  subject title... it is still odd, but consider this thought:
Online IQ tests don't measure a human average IQ because it only measures:
1) people who have access to the Internet
2) Who predominantly understand English
3) And who actively seek out an IQ test

Likewise this test is skewed towards vintage gaming enthusiasts.

And these online tests...  You have to get the answers 100% right.  I did the 50 best selling games, and missed loads because I didn't enter in the exact title (e.g. Super Mario Bros. - with a dot or some shit).  Although protip:  Pokemon [colour]

turboswimbz

of course this is skewed towards vintage game enthusiast.  Hence why I posted on a vintage game site full of enthusiasts.  Also one would think vintage enthusiast would know what a TG-16 was over some of the rarer and older systems that may not frequently be thought of as "consoles".  [Although sporcle is also frequented by those in the UK who wouldn't be as fimilar with it.]  But, That's why it's asked as a question in the title.   

ALSO STATUS RESPONCE:     Next up ->  http://www.sporcle.com/games/Juvo415/consoles-by-controller-port

I did much worse at this one.

EDIT: The better quizes take into account varations as well such as excepting ps one/ ps 2 for play station (2).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:28:17 AM by turboswimbz »
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
I did poorly, only getting eight of 'em - NES, PS1, Genesis, SNES, Game Cube, Dreamcast, N64, and TG-16 (the only the one that mattered).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles