Author Topic: How do I get Japanese CD-ROM Games to Start?  (Read 675 times)

drzoidberg

How do I get Japanese CD-ROM Games to Start?
« on: January 14, 2013, 12:13:07 PM »
I recently bought an American TG-16 because I heard that the CD-ROM games were region free. HU-card games are working properly on my system, but I can't seem to get the CDs to display video at all.

The CDs spin and a female Japanese voice says this is an he system cd rom, please do not interfere with computer data, etc. Anyways, the same message repeats a second time, then a new message plays. I don't know exactly what the woman is saying, but after she is finished the console plays a beeping tone before switching from track 1 to track 2. After this tone, I hear a very brief noise and nothing else happens. If I skip to any later tracks, the game audio plays properly, but I can't get the game started.

Am I doing something wrong?

jelloslug

Re: How do I get Japanese CD-ROM Games to Start?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 12:15:50 PM »
Do you have the correct system card for the game?

jelloslug

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 12:17:19 PM »

drzoidberg

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »

Yes, I have a Super System Card 3.0.

http://sadpanda.us/images/1349171-TLMWZB8.jpg

Super System cards aren't region locked, are they? The instructions in the back are in both japanese and english and I've seen these cards used in tg-16s before.

The games I am trying to play are Ys IV, Seirei Senshi Spriggan, and Spriggan Mark 2 Terraform.

I believe I have a japanese super system card. American ones have the tg-16 emblem on the front, right? No wonder I got it for $15.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 12:23:54 PM by drzoidberg »

psychobear

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 12:31:10 PM »
The system cards are region locked

Tatsujin

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 12:35:46 PM »
What he said. It's a hucard, therefore it's region locked like any other huey outthere.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

drzoidberg

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 12:42:53 PM »
So at this point, I guess I have three options.

1. Buy super system card for tg-16
2. Buy pc engine
3. Mod tg-16

Based on the prices I'm seeing listed for us super system cards ($200 and over), I guess I should just buy a pcengine since I have a japanese system card already.

The japanese versions are cheaper because the console was more popular than its american counterpart, right?

Is there anything I need to know about the pcengine then?

turboswimbz

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 12:45:42 PM »
you do in fact have the wrong system card: you have two options - get some sort of converter to use the card in your North American deck or get a PC engine. 

you could get a us 3.0 card but it'll cost quite a bit.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

drzoidberg

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 12:57:35 PM »
you do in fact have the wrong system card: you have two options - get some sort of converter to use the card in your North American deck or get a PC engine. 

you could get a us 3.0 card but it'll cost quite a bit.

and where could i get one of these converters?

turboswimbz

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 01:09:23 PM »
Chop5 here on the forum makes the chopsado - which is the cheapy version.  Try asking around for one or pming him.

you can also find traditional converters that go on the outside of the deck for around for sale 70-150 ish.  However A better converter would be a region mod, there are some great modders here like Kieth courage.  This will vary based on the modder but will cost you much less than the traditional converters in most cases and be much more reliable. 

US 3.0 will be $150-$200 from what i've seen recently.  a decent pc engine setup will cost anywhere for 125-200 ish as well.

the only routes I suggest personally are the chopsado, region mod or PC engine routes.   
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

psychobear

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 01:44:08 PM »
If you don't want to mod your TG get a chopsado, but if you are planning on getting Japanese HuCards you would have to remove it and apply, region mod will be a bit cheaper.

You can get a converter from here I believe it's like 100$ shipped
http://www.consolegoods.co.uk/

HercTNT

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 01:52:46 PM »
Dumb question, but why can't he just buy one of Gameforyou's flash cards and install the japanese system card bios on it. would that in effect do the same thing? and be reasonbly priced and useful for other things?

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 02:25:06 PM »

and where could i get one of these converters?

As others have mentioned the best way to do this is to get a chopsado from Chop5 and tape it to your Japanese system card. The fact that yours has the HE system logo on it means it's the Japanese version of the card. By comparison I took a quick shot of the two USA region cards. The 2.0 and the US version of the 3.0. http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff85/DragonmasterDan/IMG_20130114_211932.jpg

Since you already have a Japanese 3.0 card the best solution would just be to Chopsado it.

I'm curious how you even got as far as getting the CD-ROM to spin with the wrong region card in there. I would think it would just give you a blank or single solid colored screen.
--DragonmasterDan

esadajr

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 02:48:45 PM »
Dumb question, but why can't he just buy one of Gameforyou's flash cards and install the japanese system card bios on it. would that in effect do the same thing? and be reasonbly priced and useful for other things?

The Super system card has extra ram on it. Just flashing the system card rom on the GOY card won't do it.

The best bet for the OP is to get the Chopsado.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:50:47 PM by esadajr »
Gaming since 1985

roflmao

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 03:13:36 PM »
There are a number of trustworthy folks here on the forums who can mod your current console for far less than $100.  I'd recommend you go that route.  They can also check the condition of your console's internals and do a cap job if necessary (many need them these days).

I've had personal dealings with thesteve, Keith Courage, chop5, BlueBMW, and I feel I'm leaving someone out, and I've been happy with all of their work. :)