Author Topic: How do I get Japanese CD-ROM Games to Start?  (Read 674 times)

SNKNostalgia

Re: How do I get Japanese CD-ROM Games to Start?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 06:03:31 AM »
Yeah, internal region mods tend to go for around $50 or so if it is the only mod done in one session. I really would just go ahead and do that. No ugly convertors poking out of the HuCard slot. Also, it is more reliable in the long run. While you are at it, get an S-video mod done to it. The S-video mod is cheaper than ever to do these days, due to no more external circuit with an encoder.

HercTNT

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 12:39:23 PM »
Dumb question, but why can't he just buy one of Gameforyou's flash cards and install the japanese system card bios on it. would that in effect do the same thing? and be reasonbly priced and useful for other things?

The Super system card has extra ram on it. Just flashing the system card rom on the GOY card won't do it.

The best bet for the OP is to get the Chopsado.

Derp, good point, forgot about the ram part.

Keith Courage

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 01:30:32 PM »

A Black Falcon

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 09:40:53 AM »
Yeah, internal region mods tend to go for around $50 or so if it is the only mod done in one session. I really would just go ahead and do that. No ugly convertors poking out of the HuCard slot. Also, it is more reliable in the long run. While you are at it, get an S-video mod done to it. The S-video mod is cheaper than ever to do these days, due to no more external circuit with an encoder.
$50... but do you then need to pay for shipping both ways on top of that?  That would add to the cost... but yeah, I really need to get my TG16 region-modded sometime.  It definitely seems like the cheapest way to play imports...

The thing is though, I've also got a TG16 CD drive with a dead laser.  I've been unable to decide if I could actually fix it myself if I got the laser (maybe, but do I want to spend like $40 or whatever a laser would cost and then not do it right...), or if I should send it to someone, so it's just been sitting around for several years now... I REALLY need to do something about that.

HercTNT

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 01:17:55 PM »
Tech's here are very reasonable with there pricing.

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 07:14:59 AM »
$50... but do you then need to pay for shipping both ways on top of that?  That would add to the cost... but yeah, I really need to get my TG16 region-modded sometime.  It definitely seems like the cheapest way to play imports...

The thing is though, I've also got a TG16 CD drive with a dead laser.  I've been unable to decide if I could actually fix it myself if I got the laser (maybe, but do I want to spend like $40 or whatever a laser would cost and then not do it right...), or if I should send it to someone, so it's just been sitting around for several years now... I REALLY need to do something about that.

Even with all of that (region mod, simple s-video mod, laser replacement). You would still pay under $80. You would be surprised how reasonably priced it is to get a few things done when you send your system off to someone here.

It cost me $80 + $10 shipping on my end to get my US Turbo Duo for a complete capacitor replacement, add stereo jacks to the back, tweak CD-Rom laser settings, re-attach the region mod due to me removing it and trying to put it back in during my failed capacitor replacement, removing the external encoder S-video mod and doing the newer simple circuit S-video mod and adding 2 caps to get rid of the jailbarring that video mods tend to show. Very reasonable I say.

A Black Falcon

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 04:54:58 PM »

Even with all of that (region mod, simple s-video mod, laser replacement). You would still pay under $80. You would be surprised how reasonably priced it is to get a few things done when you send your system off to someone here.

It cost me $80 + $10 shipping on my end to get my US Turbo Duo for a complete capacitor replacement, add stereo jacks to the back, tweak CD-Rom laser settings, re-attach the region mod due to me removing it and trying to put it back in during my failed capacitor replacement, removing the external encoder S-video mod and doing the newer simple circuit S-video mod and adding 2 caps to get rid of the jailbarring that video mods tend to show. Very reasonable I say.
Huh, that is quite reasonable pricing... though I don't know if I really need an S-Video mod, I don't have any of those cables for anything and would have to buy them.  And then if I was getting it for this I'd then want S-Video cables for all the other systems where that's the best output you can get too... I don't know if it'd be worth the cost. 

A replacement for that gear (in the TGCD) that always strips might be a good idea, though... it IS still intact, but it's discolored, so will it break if it's actually used again?  That would be quite annoying, if it happened just after getting the laser replaced. :)