Author Topic: Should I buy Magical Chase loose for $85 or just get a $45 flash card.  (Read 879 times)

Keith Courage

Post your opinions. What would you do? I'm only thinking about getting the loose one just cause I kind of like the idea of owning real games. Seems whenever I play a rom no matter what the game is I loose interest in it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:11:32 PM by Keith Courage »

SignOfZeta

Re: Should I buy Magical Chase loose for $85 or just get a $45 flash card.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 07:44:40 PM »
Both.

Duo_R

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 07:55:11 PM »
Which flash cart?
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Keith Courage

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 07:57:40 PM »
If I bought a flash cart I'd just be buying the one gameofyou is selling for $45 plus shipping. I see no need to have one that can fit more than one game at a time.

soop

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 08:30:42 PM »
If I bought a flash cart I'd just be buying the one gameofyou is selling for $45 plus shipping. I see no need to have one that can fit more than one game at a time.

Have you got a GT?  That would be a pretty good reason

Tatsujin

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 09:21:23 PM »
Since you should buy EVERY pce game, the definite answer can be only "YES" :idea:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

NightWolve

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 09:48:09 PM »

That is counter-intuitive to say the least. You like having to go back'n'forth to the PC and reloading it with another NEC ROM file when you wanna switch games instead of, I dunno, just having the whole library available at your fingertips in a standard micro SD card as the Turbo Everdrive provides ? Everdrive also supports the mapper for Street Fighter II CE, so it'll work with it while gameofyou's cannot even fit it in the limited memory that it was designed with. I mean, I'm all tired out of SF II, but I still would like to see what it looks like when it's running on my Express. Anyhow, basically, for $34 bucks more, you'd be getting the ultimate flashcart that works with and can store every US/Jap game ever made... In the face of that, I don't see how one can say, "I see no need to have one that can fit more than one game at a time."

As to your question, that $85 would get you a Turbo Everdrive shipped from krikzz's retrogate site, so I would spend it there instead of on some "witch girl on a broom" shooter that could be easily loaded onto it later and played to your heart's content... ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:54:55 PM by NightWolve »

SuperDeadite

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 11:02:53 PM »
You can always buy a flash cart.  Magical Chase is just gonna keep going up.  Get the real deal flash later.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

SuperPlay

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 12:03:37 AM »
Just pick up a US copy, this will be a nice good value add to your collection ;-)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 02:44:18 AM »
C) all of the above   :mrgreen:

If that's out of the question, get the flash cart so you can also play other pricey hueys (Hana Tahka Daka, 1941, etc.), translated roms, and homebrew stuff (Tongueman's Logic).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Trenton_net

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 02:48:08 AM »
84 Loose? I wouldn't pay for that. I recently passed up a lot that had like 15 or so games (one of them Magical Chase - cib), with some PC Engine and accessories. For about a little over $139. I considered buying it just for the game and making up the difference by selling the other items off, but I didn't want the work. :-) I say, hold out for a better deal or at least a similar deal where it is cib.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 03:17:06 AM by Trenton_net »

roflmao

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 02:58:20 AM »
That's a tough call, Keith Courage.  While $85 for MC loose does seem steep, it's probably going to be hard to find for less for the near future, judging by the way things have been going.  And I totally get the desire to play using an actual hucard over a flash device.  I have one of the $45 flash cards for the same reason you mentioned - if I have access to the entire library on a card, I'm less likely to give a game a fair shake.  I'll get bored or confused or frustrated and move on.  But if I have to get up and plug it into my computer every time I want to change games, I'm more likely to invest quality time into games I'd normally gloss over.  I'd say get the hucard now and save up for the flash card next. :)

csgx1

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 06:24:47 AM »
If you really like MC as a game to play often, then buy the real copy.   But, if you think MC will be played once and stored on your shelf for years to come, then get the flash cart. 

Black Tiger

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 06:42:30 AM »
It's a great game that is definitely worth the price. It just started attracting unwarranted hate after the gouging got out of control. Since you obviously care about playing the real deal, you should jump on it. I don't really care about having HuCards complete and would gladly buy the PCE version loose for that price, even though I already have the Turbo version.

gameofyou's card is cool and I'm glad it's out there, but the Turbo Everdrive is by far the best value and the convenience it exclusively has is priceless. I haven't been able to use my tototek card since upgrading past Windows ME. You can also pick up a flash card any time and it's worth it for homebrew projects. But you're better off buying Magical Chase and if you ever come to regret it, you can just sell or trade it away then.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 07:15:38 AM »
Post your opinions. What would you do?
I went the limited RAM flash cart route. I had a Tototek offered with a bundle and figured it is worth it JUST for running MC at a con. Since I do not bring every HuCard to game rooms, it works fine to dump 5-6 games (rares mostly) but still bring some regular cards to run. I have a media box next to my console setup, so it's easy to dump a game right quick if I wanted to change what is on the flash cart.

MC is not worth the current price for me, and I'm not a gotta-catch-them-all collector.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"