Author Topic: WTB: New Sealed Ys Book 1&2 US version  (Read 1603 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: WTB: New Sealed Ys Book 1&2 US version
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2013, 11:37:58 AM »
Exactly!

chadti99

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2013, 11:41:18 AM »
Exactly what? If I were to drop a couple hundred bucks on a sealed copy I probably wouldn't open it.  But if I find a sealed copy like Roy for $10 then maybe I will.  

I feel like I'm talking to a much younger crowd here and that's where some of the confusion is coming from.  I too hope that the recent price increases on used games in the past few years bubbles and pops but I'm not so sure this will ever happen.  There are a lot of folks my age that grew up with this stuff and now have a disposable income.  Combine demand with rarity and greed and this is why prices are rising.  It does suck, I was really hoping to have a shot at that auction but if I'm patient I'm sure a good price will turn up. That's why I posted here.

On a side note the guy running the auction contacted me right after mentioning he actually had two copies and would sell me the remaining copy for close to the auction close price.  This seemed pretty fishy so I asked for pics and he was able to provide pics of both copies side by side.  I tried offering him a lower price but he explained the auction winner already expressed interest in buying it at full price.  Whomever this guy is must have deep pockets or this is all BS and we'll see him posting the game up again, lol!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:08:40 PM by chadti99 »

nectarsis

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »
Exactly what? If I were to drop a couple hundred bucks on a sealed copy I probably wouldn't open it.  But if I find a sealed copy like Roy for $10 then maybe I will. 

I feel like I'm talking to a much younger crowd here and that's where some of the confusion is coming from.  I too hope that the recent price increases on used games in the past few years bubbles and pops but I'm not so sure this will ever happen.  There are a lot of folks my age that grew up with this stuff and now have a disposable income.  Combine demand with rarity and greed and this is why prices are rising.  It does suck, I was really hoping to have a shot at that auction but if I'm patient I'm sure a good price will turn up. That's why I posted here.

Except the fact that a maority of the regulars are late 20's to late 30's....most "grew up with this stuff."
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

chadti99

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2013, 12:11:03 PM »
Exactly what? If I were to drop a couple hundred bucks on a sealed copy I probably wouldn't open it.  But if I find a sealed copy like Roy for $10 then maybe I will. 

I feel like I'm talking to a much younger crowd here and that's where some of the confusion is coming from.  I too hope that the recent price increases on used games in the past few years bubbles and pops but I'm not so sure this will ever happen.  There are a lot of folks my age that grew up with this stuff and now have a disposable income.  Combine demand with rarity and greed and this is why prices are rising.  It does suck, I was really hoping to have a shot at that auction but if I'm patient I'm sure a good price will turn up. That's why I posted here.

Except the fact that a maority of the regulars are late 20's to late 30's....most "grew up with this stuff."

I'm not talking about the whole site just the haters in this thread.  If they are over 30 they sure don't act like it.

tggodfrey

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2013, 12:17:27 PM »

I'm not talking about the whole site just the haters in this thread.  If they are over 30 they sure don't act like it.

You will find this true in many cases.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

chadti99

« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2013, 12:33:55 PM »

You will find this true in many cases.

Agreed, no disrespect to the younger crowd. Folks can be rude at any age.

pc_kwajalein

« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2013, 01:59:31 PM »

I never open a sealed game. I have a sealed NES Bonk's Adventure I got for $40.00, I wasn't aware it was a rare game, but since the damn thing was sealed I just let it be. Good luck on finding another copy. Like many of us here, I'm still playing the 'waiting game'.
My past-life would've surely led to our demise, and I had left it not a moment too soon. Our escape, though dangerous, had gone well. The train ride, sunlight, and passing snow-covered pine trees came together in a flickering show of our bright, new future together. Her head rested on my shoulder as she soundly slept to the gentle rocking of the passenger car. We felt freedom. We felt peace.

TheClash603

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2013, 04:23:05 PM »
Since I turn 30 in a few months, thankfully that means I can rip into you guys for a little bit more...

I get the impression that based on the immediate negative response to every helpful suggestion, this is in fact a troll thread?  If that is the case, I believe you have won trolls.

::slow clap::

vestcoat

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2013, 04:55:21 PM »
Back in 89 or 90...
Great story. I don't know, I hate the VGA, but I can see where you're coming from and if Ys is your quintessential Turbo game, making a little memorial makes sense. I hope you find a box. Don't take the ripping too personally, people are reacting more to concept of the VGA than you.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 04:57:00 PM by vestcoat »

bartre

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2013, 06:42:14 PM »
I like the idea of framing the game/map, honestly.
that said, screw VGA, just get it professionally framed, or build your own (you can even use the UV protective stuff)
sure it won't be worth the OMG R@RE ebay monies, but I personally think it would be more attractive, and you could even design the frame to go along with the rest of the room.

and yeah, just chillax for a minute, the aggression isn't towards you, it's more towards VGA than anything.
as for the price increases, I think it's more from people being impatient than anything else.

chadti99

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2013, 12:00:55 AM »
Did some research on VGA and I'm defineatly understanding the aggression there.  I noticed someone sold a VGA copy of Metroid M for $150 on eBay recently.  I can walk into the Ganestop down the street and buy this game for $10 new.  As a matter of fact I just did this a couple weeks ago, very odd someone would pay so much more when it's readily available.  I also didnt realize that they permanantly seal your game, which is lame.  I still like the idea of using acrylic cases for preserving some of my game boxes and displaying them, but again those could be sourced elsewhere.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:05:18 AM by chadti99 »

tggodfrey

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2013, 12:54:33 AM »
The acrylic cases are pretty cool, they remind me of the 90's when plexiglass sub enclosures were the hot item.  Never seen any advertised for sale anywhere so I expect they are something VGA has contracted a company to make.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

geise

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2013, 05:36:21 AM »
VGA gradding is one thing, but VGA grading Turbo stuff is a whole other level.  It was such a niche system with way fewer copies of games.  Adding one more game to the "sealed never be played again" list just kinda gets to a lot of us.  It's not a bad idea and I understand.  I have a signed autographed Joe Satriani Surfing With the Alien vinyl record framed and on the wall.  It's just a good majority of us here have that "games are meant to be played" mentality.  Also, over the years a lot of people jump on these forums asking for sealed games trying to get a deal only flip it for more money and make our already awesome system even more expensive to buy games for.

BTW welcome to the forums.  I also liked your story.

Jibbajaba

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2013, 09:14:44 PM »
I'm 35.  And no one is "hating" or being aggressive.  You just need to grow a thicker skin.

Chris

chadti99

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2013, 01:18:03 AM »
I'm 35.  And no one is "hating" or being aggressive.  You just need to grow a thicker skin.

Chris

Maybe you're right Jibbajaba, my apologies to everyone that hijacked my WTB posting.

If anyone is interested in any of my sealed/VGA graded game auctions: http://bit.ly/mhzj7r
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 02:04:08 AM by chadti99 »