Author Topic: Cleaning turbo cds  (Read 803 times)

rCadeGaming

Cleaning turbo cds
« on: January 28, 2013, 09:52:51 AM »
I've been noticing that my 4-in-1 Super CD has a lot of problems: long loading times, distorting audio, music just stopping, and sometimes just plain failing to load.  I'll be doing the necessary maintenance on the system side, but I don't usually have any problems with Rondo of Blood, so I don't think it's just the system.

Both are authentic discs.  The 4-in-1 isn't badly scratched, but, no surprise, it's not as clean as Rondo.  I've done what I can with rubbing alcohol and a microfiber cloth, and I'm wondering what more can be done.

What kind of CD cleaning methods are people using for these discs? 

I've seen some products that basically buff out the scratches with a very fine abrasive, as you would do with any other plastic.  Some are just a compound for hand polishing, and then there's also the "Skip Doctor" type contraptions.

Has anyone used any of these?  Anything proven safe and effective with these kinds of discs?

Bernie

Re: Cleaning turbo cds
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 09:59:03 AM »
I wouldn't go buffing it yourself.  Take it to a place that has the professional machines that do it
  My local PlaynTrade do all of mine.  Some game stores or music stores offer it, just check around.

lukester

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 10:00:38 AM »
I'm sure it's like any other CD or disc. I would go with what Bernie said though.

rCadeGaming

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 10:05:59 AM »
I had my $200 Suikoden II disc done professionally back in the day, and to my surprise it took off quite a bit of material.   I'm not sure if the system would like the disc being that light, as temperamental as they can be.  Anybody?

HercTNT

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 10:07:12 AM »
No idea, but i'm gonna third having it professionaly done. i have tried fixing discs myself with off the shelf crap and it never goes well.

Bernie

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 10:09:19 AM »
I've had many Turbo discs done professionally, and never had issues.

rCadeGaming

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 10:11:50 AM »
I guess so.  I'll start looking for a local place.  Do you guys have any photos of the results?  How much material is lost; do they feel significantly lighter or thinner?

Sparky

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 10:57:10 AM »
Hold on, before you get it resurfaced I want ya to go out and buy some detailing spray/car wax... I recommend this... http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Quik-Detailer-Mist-Spray/dp/B0009IQXAE

You would not believe the amount of discs I have saved, even unreadable, your looking at $8 for the spray, give it a shot. Also remember when polishing/ waxing.... Spray the disc and spread over with a soft cloth, then get another clean cloth and polish working from the inside to outside... Not in circles but straight lines from centre to the outer edge.

If it is safe on a corvette it is safe on your disc :)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:00:30 AM by Sparky »

rCadeGaming

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 11:20:34 AM »
I don't know about that.  Those car detailing products can leave residue, sometimes intentionally.  I'd at least start with a compound designed for CD's.  Also, the cloths should probably be microfiber cloths.

...not sure if you're screwing with me, but "work straight from inside to outside" is good advice...  :-k

Sparky

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 11:32:13 AM »
What? I am not screwing with you... I have done this many times and residue? Would a guy that owns a corvette be happy with residue, no there is none. Also google how to clean a cd... The first one that pops up is this...

http://labnol.blogspot.ca/2006/07/how-to-clean-dvd-or-cd-disc.html?m=1

Look at the second last point on the direction to clean it.. Take it or leave it Mr. Worry I am telling you the truth
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:36:09 AM by Sparky »

Bernie

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 11:58:12 AM »
Sparky wouldn't mAKE THAT up.  I've never heard of it, but I'm positive if he says it works that it works.  As far as how much material is buffed off....I have no clue.  I honestly cannot tell the difference.  Granted, none of my discs have been really bad either.

rCadeGaming

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 11:59:31 AM »
Maybe this does work very well, but just so you know, you should drop the Corvette line.  Auto finish and the plastic bottom of a CD are entirely different chemically, functionally, etc.

tpivette

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 12:06:24 PM »
If it is safe on a corvette it is safe on your disc :)
Hey, Sparky... did you ever look at that Vette you were telling me about a few months ago? Any luck with it or are you still looking?
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Bernie

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 12:13:30 PM »
Cmon man...  You came in here asking what people use and all.  Kinda crappy telling someone that's trying to help you, to drop part of his explanation.  I'm certain he knows just as well as the rest of us, that the chemical makeup is different. 

Sparky

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 12:15:22 PM »
Maybe this does work very well, but just so you know, you should drop the Corvette line.  Auto finish and the plastic bottom of a CD are entirely different chemically, functionally, etc.

Hey guy, I was just trying to help you out... My point with the corvette line was to help you less worry about a back of a cd, my god I have used it on game gear and nomads screens and even on my plastic Saturn :P... Just so you know you worry to much