Author Topic: have your purchasing habits changed due to emulation / flash cards?  (Read 1493 times)

SamIAm

Re: have your purchasing habits changed due to emulation / flash cards?
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2013, 07:06:43 PM »
Playing on a computer screen with a keyboard isn't anywhere near as much fun as using real hardware, but I think some of you would be surprised at just how much of the emulation experience can be changed for the better by running the video through a TV and sitting on a couch with a proper controller. If the controller is identical in shape and response to the original system's (and there do exist decent USB versions of certain controllers), it's quite uncanny. I believe that one day, when the original hardware has virtually all died out, people will play old games via emulation and reproduction controllers.

I owned an SNES copier in America (still want to get it shipped out to me someday), and the lines between real hardware and carts vs. real hardware and flashcarts/copiers/CD-Rs vs. emulation with a proper setup get very blurry for me. I've got an old laptop with S-video output that I've dedicated to emulation, and when I'm running one of the really accurate emulators with full speed and the best possible configuration, I tend to think "I have no problem with this."

So many of the problems that people have with emulation isn't really emulation's fault, per se. Don't get me wrong, I've abused savestates, quit games after losing one life, and felt overwhelmed looking at a massive list of roms just like everyone else, but it's possible to get beyond that. It's like alcohol; you just have to know how to moderate yourself.

Taking games out of cases and touching the real system to turn it on, and even hearing the disc drive access something is pleasurable, but the real issues to me are the controller, the accuracy of the game on a functional level, and the accuracy of the video and audio. If they perfect those things in emulation, I could see one day being convinced to stop fussing with my old original hardware that by then is freezing half the time and just emulate.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 12:40:41 AM by SamIAm »

Keith Courage

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2013, 07:07:25 AM »
Magic Engine truthfully seems flawless to me but I still prefer the real thing over it. I have a PC hooked up via the VGA port to the TV in my living room for magic engine and it works great. I only take out my real games in my work/game room.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:09:29 AM by Keith Courage »

Bernie

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2013, 05:26:09 PM »
Lots of games play good in ME.  But there are some that have issues, Strider comes to mind, and sometimes Dragon Slayer will freeze during the intro.  Mostly is timing issues with ME.  You'll notice it in certain audio sequences.  For example, in Dracula X after the intro and the door closing sound is playing.  It drags somewhat.

KnightWarrior

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2013, 06:26:48 AM »
Original hardware for me

I had plans selling of Bonk on the NES to buy the Famicom EverDrive N8, I'm not going to do it at all

Flash Carts is all nice and all, But it doesn't feel like just putting a game in play..Flash Carts are  nice when you make a game you could run it on the original hardware, 

I know people won't care anyways, these fash carts/card going to be sold out

Carparama

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2013, 07:27:15 AM »
Emulation is great if you cannot get access to the real thing.  Which is better?  Let's just say I am thrilled to be getting my real TG16 back so I can start playing, and I really want to find a TurboDuo someday.

tpivette

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2013, 09:59:09 AM »
Emulation is great if you cannot get access to the real thing. 
This is exactly what I'm doing for the US Magical Chase. Bought a $45 Flash Card that plays in real hardware and saved thousands over the real deal. Best part is, the Flash Card fits in an original HuCard sleeve, and goes in a case with a repro manual without any issues. Looks as though I have the authentic game sitting on my shelf, until you open it and see the chip.

I just refuse to pay what that game is going for (if I could even find a copy), and emulation works perfect for this occasion
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

ElSeven

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2013, 10:16:22 AM »
This is exactly what I'm doing for the US Magical Chase. Bought a $45 Flash Card that plays in real hardware and saved thousands over the real deal. Best part is, the Flash Card fits in an original HuCard sleeve, and goes in a case with a repro manual without any issues. Looks as though I have the authentic game sitting on my shelf, until you open it and see the chip.

I just refuse to pay what that game is going for (if I could even find a copy), and emulation works perfect for this occasion

This is a pretty great way to make magical chase affordable.  Has anyone thought of putting together a reproduction package of this game?  With a repro manual and case, the only missing piece would be to brand the flash card with some kind of artwork.  There is a thread on the assembler games forum about 3D Printing a hucard shell for the TED, as well as Stone Age Gamer's solution of mounting a plastic barrier with screws.   hmm...

Of course none of this is necessary, but it might be a fun project for the community.  I'm sure it would be easy to modify the existing artwork enough so that it is a clearly not an original game to avoid any reselling shenanigans / anime4ever overcharging / etc.
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

Black Tiger

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2013, 10:42:16 AM »

This is a pretty great way to make magical chase affordable.  Has anyone thought of putting together a reproduction package of this game?  With a repro manual and case, the only missing piece would be to brand the flash card with some kind of artwork.  There is a thread on the assembler games forum about 3D Printing a hucard shell for the TED, as well as Stone Age Gamer's solution of mounting a plastic barrier with screws.   hmm...

Of course none of this is necessary, but it might be a fun project for the community.  I'm sure it would be easy to modify the existing artwork enough so that it is a clearly not an original game to avoid any reselling shenanigans / anime4ever overcharging / etc.

This has been proposed many times. I think that what would work out best, is if someone reprogrammed just the two Magical Chase roms for the Super HuCard. Then everyone could download and play both expensive games and hopefully the collector orices would come down.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

ElSeven

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2013, 11:04:41 AM »

This has been proposed many times. I think that what would work out best, is if someone reprogrammed just the two Magical Chase roms for the Super HuCard. Then everyone could download and play both expensive games and hopefully the collector orices would come down.

Do we have the resources within the forum to make this happen?  If it has been proposed many times, there has to be enough interest to make it worth while.  I wonder what needs to be done in order to make progress on this...
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2013, 11:12:03 AM »
I've thought about that before as a booty project; it'd be sweet as hell to have both versions available from a load screen, and even better if a slide show could be added showing the differences (preferably side by side using high-res mode like in Chris's demo).  If I could program more than my VCR, I'd make it happen.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

roflmao

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2013, 01:37:08 PM »
I would love to see this happen!

Robocop2

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2013, 01:08:22 AM »
Flash carts have change things for me. I had thought about getting back into the TG before but it wasn't until the everdrive came out that I made the jump over. I'll still buy games that I want eventually but it's nice to be able to try before you buy especially with the expensive games.

geise

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2013, 01:22:44 AM »
Only emulation I do is with my Vita through the eCFW exploit, and on my phone.   Also, with Mednafen on the Wii.  It outputs the exact resolution for my standard tv so it's as close as you can get.  It's mainly used to play games I don't own like Coryoon.  If I'm not on the go I am usually always on real hardware.  It hasn't changed my purchasing habits that's for sure.  Actually I buy more games now than when I used to since I have had a stable jobby job the past 10 years.

-D-

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2013, 02:44:13 PM »

Is it just to feel like you have a complete US collection?  The way I look at this, I mean you're already throwing almost $50 around, might as well just put in another $150 and get a Japanese Magical Chase and you can still say you have the real thing.  Though if the Japanese version was $400+ I would probably do the same thing you did. 

I'm not trying to say the collector mentality is wrong though, just wondering.

tpivette

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2013, 08:36:33 PM »

Is it just to feel like you have a complete US collection?  The way I look at this, I mean you're already throwing almost $50 around, might as well just put in another $150 and get a Japanese Magical Chase and you can still say you have the real thing.  Though if the Japanese version was $400+ I would probably do the same thing you did.  

I'm not trying to say the collector mentality is wrong though, just wondering.
Might as well throw in another $150 if I'm already spending $50? I don't know about you, but I can't plop down that kind of cash on one game. The most I've ever spent on a game was $90 for Steam Hearts. For $200, I can get several games... or one PCE copy of Magical Chase... hmm, I think I'd rather go the $45 Flash Card route.

I didn't buy a Flash Card for Magical Chase to "feel like I have a complete set", I just wanted to play the game on real hardware. Its actually a really fun game with catchy music. If said Flash Card fits in an actual game case to go on the shelf with my other Turbo Games? Well, that's just a cool bonus.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 08:38:35 PM by tpivette »
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate