Author Topic: Ac adapter for my future to be Pc Engine Core Grafx II ...  (Read 412 times)

Nec.Game.head

Ac adapter for my future to be Pc Engine Core Grafx II ...
« on: January 30, 2013, 03:43:41 PM »
So I'm buying a Core Grafx II for a really good price but it's not coming with an ac adapter .. My question is what would be a cheaper alternative to purchasing an original Core Grafx II ac adapter ?? Are there any retro consoles that have a compatible ac adapter ?? I'm hoping to just be able to head over to my local used game store and purchase one for cheap ..
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Bernie

• Facebook URL
Re: Ac adapter for my future to be Pc Engine Core Grafx II ...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 03:47:47 PM »
Go here.  http://www.retrogamecave.com/nec-ac_adapter.html  Very fast service, and good quality merchandise.  I buy from Chuck a lot.

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 04:11:54 PM »
Good looking out bernie .. I have bought several ac adapters from retro game cave and their great .. The cable on them are a bit on the short side though imo .. But I'm trying to spend under 20.00 bucks on a used ac adapter without having to order one online ..
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

vestcoat

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 05:23:15 PM »
Thrift stores always have piles of AC adapters for pennies. Buy one with the right specs, another with the right tip, and splice them. Just make sure you get the polarity right.

Keith Courage

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 07:56:37 PM »
Yeah, since a core grafx doesn't require a very high amp rating pretty much anything at 9v with 700ma or more should cut it.

soop

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 09:46:48 PM »
Genesis adaptors work.

ApolloBoy

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 03:23:01 AM »
Genesis adaptors work.
You wanna get one for the model 1 Genny though, the one meant for the Genesis 2 and 3 won't fit and is of the wrong polarity.
Quote from: Arkhan
it makes me laugh because people are like I REMEMBER PLAYIN THAT BACK IN THE DAY, MAN THAT WAS FUN.

and then I go "yeah I remember playing that 2 days ago because I still have my SNES, retard"

soop

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 04:11:04 AM »
Genesis adaptors work.
You wanna get one for the model 1 Genny though, the one meant for the Genesis 2 and 3 won't fit and is of the wrong polarity.

Oh yeah, sorry, I should have specified >__<

I've heard SNES/NES/Famicom adaptors work too, but I can't remember if I've used mine or not.  If anyone could verify that may help.  I think they're all 9v, but the Genesis and SNES actually require the extra oomph.  IIRC the PC Engine only needs 7, and I've had it running fine off of 5v (through the bus)

Bernie

• Facebook URL
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 05:12:50 AM »
I have a spare model one Genny adpt. if ya want it.  Just pay shipping.  PM me if interested.

ApolloBoy

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 03:07:52 AM »
I've heard SNES/NES/Famicom adaptors work too, but I can't remember if I've used mine or not.  If anyone could verify that may help.  I think they're all 9v, but the Genesis and SNES actually require the extra oomph.  IIRC the PC Engine only needs 7, and I've had it running fine off of 5v (through the bus)
You can't use an SNES PSU (won't fit) but you can use a Fami/Super Fami PSU a-OK. You *never* want to use an NES power supply as those put out AC which will most likely blow the fuse in the PCE.
it makes me laugh because people are like I REMEMBER PLAYIN THAT BACK IN THE DAY, MAN THAT WAS FUN.

and then I go "yeah I remember playing that 2 days ago because I still have my SNES, retard"

soop

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 08:39:01 PM »
I'm in the UK, which may make a difference, but SNES, Famicom and NES PSUs are all interchangeable.

ApolloBoy

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 12:19:28 PM »
I'm in the UK, which may make a difference, but SNES, Famicom and NES PSUs are all interchangeable.
The Famicom uses a DC PSU while the NES and PAL SNES use AC, don't they?

soop

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 08:49:16 PM »
The Famicom uses a DC PSU while the NES and PAL SNES use AC, don't they?

That's probably the confusion then; basically, in the UK, if you use a NES PSU, it will power a Famicom.  The consoles themselves obviously only use DC, so if you plug a famicom PSU into the wall in the UK, it will just pop.  But if you used a stepdown converter, it would happily power a NES or a PC Engine - the polarity and pin size are the right match.

I apologize for my poor wording!

xelement5x

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 08:28:05 AM »
Seconding Model 1 Genesis or Sega CD adapter. 

That's what I use on mine.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story