Author Topic: Cool tricks, shortcuts, and glitches you've discovered in Turbo games  (Read 592 times)

DarkKobold

I love to find new glitches and tricks in games, to take shortcuts, make the game faster, glitch the game out, whatever.  I've found 3 in Darkwing Duck, and 1 in Exile: WP. I'm curious what other things people have found, and a search of the forums came up empty. (Aside from one thread referenced by HercTNT).
I feel like this one might have been intentional, but it doesn't seem like the playtesters bothered to playtest, so who knows.

Exile: Wicked Phenomenon, by jumping and changing characters, then jumping right after you leave a menu, you can get an extra boost. This allows you to skip about 30% of the tower of lost souls, by jumping to the slightly too high platform.  (I'll make a video when I get back there, in the Japanese version.)

Despite 40ish playthroughs of Dungeon Explorer, and 10ish of Neutopia 2, I have yet to find any useful tricks or shortcuts. In Dungeon Explorer, right after the worm, you can use an enemy to push the boulder out of the way, but it does you no good, as there are no staircases present until you beat the bosses.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:35:28 AM by DarkKobold »
Hey, you.

esteban

Re: Cool tricks, shortcuts, and glitches you've discovered in Turbo games
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 04:39:47 PM »

|    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 04:21:43 AM »
Dragon's Curse: get Mouse Man. Stock up on ammo, make sure to have boomerangs. Sneak into Tiger Man stage. Kill boss by jumping and shooting all ammo first, then recycle boomerangs till he's dead. You'll morph into Bird Man and all forms will be available.

Shapeshifter: get Shadowcat form. Kill dinos for diamonds. Morph jump through underground Phoenix stage to get key to final area. Skip 90% of the game.

Dragon Slayer: kill apes for coma darts. Make sure level up stats are set to auto. Park party in high traffic area with turbo switches on (die + elastic works best). Go to sleep. Next day party will be leveled and rich. Repeat and buy Gold Rods as you can afford them and level even faster. Game has secret "luck" limit. After a certain point instant kills will no longer work.

Blood Gear: game is non-linear. I could get past a dungeon with a locked door, so I rocket jump thrustered  over the top wall of the tower and continued on. Not sure if that variant even meant for me to go through that path.

Dungeon Explorer: can't you slip behind the Tiger boss and then just safely blast him from the top?

LoX I & II: level armor fast by only equipping one piece and letting enemies hit you.

Ys III: stand in ice tunnel where enemies fly over. Strap dice to up on dpad and turbo attack button to max your level without playing.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 05:01:13 AM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

HercTNT

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 07:06:58 AM »
This is not a trick, but a weird glitch. In Magical chase at the first stage end boss, I died from a very weird glitch. I was adjusting the position of the star children when the robots head came on screen and his head flew across the screen, attached to my character and bled my life force down till i died.

roflmao

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 07:11:00 AM »
Order of the Griffon: When creating your party, add a fighter to one of the empty slots, then remove him and put a magic-user there.  They will magically be equipped with whatever armor the fighter was wearing.  As long as you don't un-equip it, they'll keep it on during the game, making them much hardier.  :)

DarkKobold

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 12:17:38 PM »
Dragon's Curse: get Mouse Man. Stock up on ammo, make sure to have boomerangs. Sneak into Tiger Man stage. Kill boss by jumping and shooting all ammo first, then recycle boomerangs till he's dead. You'll morph into Bird Man and all forms will be available.

How do you sneak into tiger man's stage as mouse man?
Hey, you.

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 12:22:25 PM »

How do you sneak into tiger man's stage as mouse man?

mad sk1llz 8)

Probably need the sword that smashes bricks first though.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 12:53:28 PM »
Exile, to level all the way up at the begining, get to the first stage, & when you get to the 2nd room, get onto a platform where those dragonfly's continue to spawn, put II on turbo, wrap a rubber band around it, go to bed, read a book, etc.

vestcoat

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 01:03:37 PM »
Not much a secret, but I like to jumpstart Ys Book I by leaving Minea and getting the Golden Vase from the pond completely unarmed. Get it, sell it, buy ring, get reward, and skip the weakest arms and armor.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 02:51:07 AM »
I found that if you play China Warrior long enough, you actually learn kung fu.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Bardoly

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 05:27:23 AM »
I found that if you play China Warrior long enough, you actually learn kung fu.

So....., you must be a level 9 black belt grandmaster by now.....  Right?   :-"

Black Tiger

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 05:34:49 AM »
Not much a secret, but I like to jumpstart Ys Book I by leaving Minea and getting the Golden Vase from the pond completely unarmed. Get it, sell it, buy ring, get reward, and skip the weakest arms and armor.

And gain a level and a half or something like that without fighting a single enemy.

You can also sneak into the Mine before you're ready and grab some good items ahead of time.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 06:13:13 AM »
Does running into the guards in Prince of Persia to swap places count? Particularly useful for maneuvering them into a pit.

DarkKobold

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 11:44:51 AM »

Dungeon Explorer: can't you slip behind the Tiger boss and then just safely blast him from the top?

Tried a couple attempts to push past him on the left and right. Tried to out run him, and loop the screen. Tried to wait after dying. Every attempt to get around him failed.

Hey, you.

Carparama

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 01:19:43 AM »
World Class Baseball: Pick Buddhas, password: 1234, play Champs!