Author Topic: Time Cruise = Obey of Turbob Proportions  (Read 658 times)

nullity

Time Cruise = Obey of Turbob Proportions
« on: February 06, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
So, I just finished pounding out some PHP goodness.  My framework for a little 'on the side' business is complete.  I'm pleased, and I thank Time Cruise for it.

How is it that everyone gets all hot and bothered about Alien/Devil Crush when Time Cruise is all... f*ck.  Seriously.  Forget the pinball, good as it is... just zoning out to the many tunes with the sweet EQ visualizaitons made my lil project so much more bearable.  Just look...

And that's not the half of it... the BGV modes (background video?) are too friggin cool... and the interactive "demonstration" mode? Off the hook! Any time I was getting frustrated, just change the scenery and/or BGM and back to work.

I recall having fun with the game as a kid, toying with all the extras, but seriously... this game is pure pinball goodness with heaping piles of extras bundled in.  I recently ran into the only other guy in the county who had a TG16 back in mid/highschool and the first thing he asked was "what was that pinball game, you know, with all the extras? Yeah! That was a damn good game!".  Not, "Hey man, how have the last 20 years treated you?" or "where you working, have kids?"  NO... it was "shit, Time Cruise defined my childhood!"

I've not dug for threads praising this game, but I've seen similar threads for lesser titles in my time here so I'm starting one for Time Cruise.  Tell me:  how much ass does this game kick in your opinion, and what are your memories of it?

esteban

Re: Time Cruise = Obey of Turbob Proportions
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 04:38:18 PM »

STATUS: Old_Rover (nodtveidt) has always been a proponent of Time Cruise. GOOD FOR HIM. I only recently got it in the last few years (never had it back in the day) and I haven't really messed around with it...I should give it another chance, though. I never knew about the EQ stuff during sound test!
  |    | 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 04:59:18 PM »

STATUS: Old_Rover (nodtveidt) has always been a proponent of Time Cruise. GOOD FOR HIM. I only recently got it in the last few years (never had it back in the day) and I haven't really messed around with it...I should give it another chance, though. I never knew about the EQ stuff during sound test!

Ditto.

TheClash603

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 02:29:32 PM »
Time Cruise is the best pinball game on the TG16.  More tables = better.

Jibbajaba

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 04:08:38 PM »
I like time cruise a lot.  My only gripe is that games last forever.  Either that or I'm just f*cking awesome.

Chris

roflmao

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 04:12:23 PM »
I'm with Jibba.  I really like the game, but it just goes on forever.  And the music becomes annoying.  It's a must have because it's a technical marvel (I love the demo stuff) and the table is huge and there's caveman golf!  But Alien/Devil's Crush provide a sense of excitement that I don't find in Time Cruise, or really any other pinball video game.

Damon Plus

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 09:03:02 PM »
I find Time Cruise a really good pinball game but, just as the poster above me, inferior to the Crush series. I quite like the amount of bonus stages it has, even though some of them are confusing to me (the one with the swords). The amount of extras included in the limited space of a Turbochip is astonishing, but the main game is where I find the problem. Some areas are too hard to reach, music, while good, gets annoying, and it just doesn't "click" as being as fun as the others.

I've only played it four about 2 hours and might not have discovered all its intrincacies (sp?), but this thread has made me want to replay it.

galam

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 01:30:59 AM »

I've only played it four about 2 hours and might not have discovered all its intrincacies (sp?), but this thread has made me want to replay it.

Same here.  Got this game in a lot a while back, tried it once, but I never knew all this was in there.  Need to try it again and check it out.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 01:43:52 AM »
Time Cruise is my favorite pinballer for its giant play field, variety, and prehistoric golf.  It's also fun to pop in and play the small bonus boards (accessible from the title screen) when I'm just looking for a quick pinball fix.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

sunteam_paul

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 05:16:39 AM »
Such a shame the main playfield is a bit boring. If they had added some wandering critters, like in Devil Crash, this would have been a much better pinball game. Naxat designed a much better table in a much smaller space, size isn't everything.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

MotherGunner

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 05:39:42 AM »
What's the deal with the Jap versions?  Are there two?
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

ccovell

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 03:49:14 PM »
The original game titled "Time Cruise" was never released, actually.

The US game is just a rebadge of Time Cruise II, the sequel.

Damon Plus

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 05:56:46 PM »
I was playing last night and I remembered why I'm not so fond of this game: The main playfield is convoluted and there's some places that are too hard to reach or just luck-based (or so it seems to me), and the ball doesn't stay quiet on the ground even when it should. and never stops bouncing.

ElSeven

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 06:44:19 PM »

are those space shuttle flippers?!?!?! bravo, Face.  bravo.  :clap:
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

sunteam_paul

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 08:12:51 PM »

Wow, I never knew that! Can I have permission to add that scan to my site please?
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!