Author Topic: PC Engine or TurboGrafx? Where should I begin?  (Read 245 times)

egg_sanwich

PC Engine or TurboGrafx? Where should I begin?
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:50:51 AM »
Hi all, I'm rather new here and quite new to the NEC scene in general. First off, Hi and thanks for having me. :D

Just wondering your thoughts on TG16 vs. PC Engine.

Here's the situation.

I have a TG16 with no controller or games

AND

I have a handful of PC Engine games (R-type 2, Bonk's Adventure, Sidearms, Street FIghter 2, Kung Fu) but no PC Engine.

Which path would you follow for maximum fun at minimal cost?

ProfessorProfessorson

Re: PC Engine or TurboGrafx? Where should I begin?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 09:03:21 AM »
Have your TG deck modded and get a gamepad for it if you only plan to play Hu-card titles right now.

turboswimbz

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 11:18:59 AM »
Prof. hit the nail on the head as far as bang for the buck.  that solution will be under $50 most likely.  If you want to play CD and Hu cards I would go with a PCE Duo. more like a $200.  On the mod side, you could always find a cd system for the tg-16 and be set and this would be about the same investment as the Duo would be but you could spread it over time. 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Black Tiger

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
Buy a cheap PC Engine system or a chopsado converter. If you go for PCE, you can get a Tennokoe II for cheap so you can save games. A PCE system is also compatible with every type of controller (including 6 button pads) except for the TurboPad and TurboStick. The TG-16 can't use anything BUT those two controllers.

Once you're ready to graduate to CD games, just buy a PCE Duo system and sell your old console(s).
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 03:30:40 PM »
Stick with PCE, way cheaper and most the games you want to play require little english to play
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

egg_sanwich

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 07:17:23 PM »
Have your TG deck modded and get a gamepad for it if you only plan to play Hu-card titles right now.
Hu cards are the plan for now, so that seems like the best option. I'm competent with a soldering iron so might give it a go myself. If I blow it, I'll just go for the PCE.

Found a couple links to walkthroughs, but all seem a bit lacking in one department or another. Any definitive guides out there?