Author Topic: Thrift Store  (Read 2709 times)

TR0N

Re: Thrift Store
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 07:07:25 PM »
A few years ago a friend of mine worked for goodwill.  One day someone gave them a weird Chinese SNES accessory, a 3.5 inch floppy drive with a parallel port and some ram that would play ROM images.  It even allowed saving and loading in RPGs and such.  My friend asked his co-worker "How much you think this is worth?" and received an answer of "About $2."  That was apparently how the two of them operated, but whatever. 

Anyway, I still had a SNES so my friend gave it to me.  I was always curious how it wound up at good will, but whatever.  Weird stuff goes to weird places sometimes, and is occasionally very cheap!
Sounds like a game doctor to me.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 02:10:31 PM »
I was at a thrift store today they wanted 25 bucks for a loose solstice cart.

I did walk out with some super cool vintage Mario/LOZ cartoon sheets though for 5 bucks though :)

jelloslug

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 12:03:45 AM »

I just bought one of those from a local game store for $3 and had my pick of 6 different copies.  :lol:

Tatsujin

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 12:27:35 AM »
le solistic has l'uber great muzik :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 10:01:38 AM »

I just bought one of those from a local game store for $3 and had my pick of 6 different copies.  :lol:

I know eh?

That game isn't worth anything lol.

jelloslug

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 10:16:59 AM »

I know eh?

That game isn't worth anything lol.

It's worth about $3. :lol:   I love that game though.

seieienbu

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 10:49:02 AM »
A few years ago a friend of mine worked for goodwill.  One day someone gave them a weird Chinese SNES accessory, a 3.5 inch floppy drive with a parallel port and some ram that would play ROM images.  It even allowed saving and loading in RPGs and such.  My friend asked his co-worker "How much you think this is worth?" and received an answer of "About $2."  That was apparently how the two of them operated, but whatever. 

Anyway, I still had a SNES so my friend gave it to me.  I was always curious how it wound up at good will, but whatever.  Weird stuff goes to weird places sometimes, and is occasionally very cheap!
Sounds like a game doctor to me.

Yep!
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

GohanX

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 02:50:59 PM »
Although that price isn't terrible for a console on ebay, if I was in a thrift store and they wanted that much I would tell them to kindly get f*cked.

Tatsujin

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 03:11:28 PM »
Theft Store :idea:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 04:37:25 PM »
Thrift store Tg16 for 45 dollar, lol would make me holla !! I think that's a good deal even if it's not in the best condition .
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

xelement5x

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 07:42:19 AM »
Yeah, the guy who prices a lot of the game stuff in the thrift near me has an idea what stuff will sell for so he's pretty good about it.  Average price is about $4, but can range from $1 to $10 depending on who is doing it.  That high prices shit never moves and just gets thrown away eventually, which makes me sad :(
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

shabba

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 08:23:42 AM »
What chaps my ass about Thrift stores, and it's getting worse, is the continual upward spiral of the prices. Please do not forget...most items these places sell, including ALL electronics, are donated. When that TG-16 is priced at $50 (if you can ever find one), that thrift store might have $3-$5 invested in it for overhead.

Thrift stores, especially Goodwill, have become retail stores. Take a look next time there are Atari 2600 games in your Goodwill. I guarantee they won't be priced under $2.25 a piece. Some are worth that, yes, but not Pac-Man/E.T./Superman/etc., all the super common ones essentially. Want to buy a CD? $5 a piece and that includes all PS1 games. PS2 games? $10 a piece and up...

In my lifetime of thrift store shopping, I have found one Keith Courage which I bought for $.50. I missed a Turboduo, in the box, about a year ago that went for $50. I know this because the woman knew my face and told me she had just sold it 10 or 15 minutes before I walked in.
-Colin
Old enough to be your dad. Just ask your mom.

Gladiator316

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 07:08:12 AM »
Goodwill near my house..25$ Super Mario / Duckhunt........dead fukn serious...I looked at my wife and she said "don't poor people come shop here?"
"why is a nes game so expensive?" :clap:......she took the words right outta my mouth with some exceptions of the f-bomb. :evil:
93/94 TurboChips

Bernie

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 07:43:29 AM »
Thats what happens when you have someone who sees some retro games climbing in price, and assume everything is worth its weight in gold. More folks should demand some sort of explanation on why its priced in such a way, and then educate.  I mean, we already know we will not be going back, so why not give em a piece of our minds before we leave?

galam

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 08:53:24 AM »
Goodwill near my house..25$ Super Mario / Duckhunt........dead fukn serious...I looked at my wife and she said "don't poor people come shop here?"
"why is a nes game so expensive?" :clap:......she took the words right outta my mouth with some exceptions of the f-bomb. :evil:

Wow, $25 is steep, but look on the bright side...at least your wife doesn't judge.  [-(
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:54:55 AM by galam »