Author Topic: Thrift Store  (Read 2696 times)

PunkicCyborg

Re: Thrift Store
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2013, 07:03:49 AM »
How much does Bonk and Battle Ace go for here??
battle ace is $10 tops
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

ElSeven

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2013, 08:52:09 AM »
my friend just posted this on his fb wall today.  SMDH @ Goodwill, what a joke!  he said there were plenty of SNES RPGs there, all for ebay+ prices.

currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2013, 09:03:02 AM »
my friend just posted this on his fb wall today.  SMDH @ Goodwill, what a joke!  he said there were plenty of SNES RPGs there, all for ebay+ prices.

On cases like this, really the store needs to be publicly shammed. This means post the address and phone number and have multiple people call in to complain. It may only cause severe annoyance, but if enough people tie up their phone line for a week, that still affects their ability to run well.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2013, 09:03:53 AM »
5% off for the gamer living in a van down by the river.  :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

KnightWarrior

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2013, 09:27:51 AM »
Can Goodwill get away with this??

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2013, 09:29:33 AM »
Goodwill is becoming the next Value Village. Horrible and over priced.

psychobear

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2013, 09:51:46 AM »
Can Goodwill get away with this??

I think they can cause somebody is always a sucker and will buy it.

ElSeven

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2013, 10:49:47 AM »
On cases like this, really the store needs to be publicly shammed. This means post the address and phone number and have multiple people call in to complain. It may only cause severe annoyance, but if enough people tie up their phone line for a week, that still affects their ability to run well.

FWIW:  the location information is as follows:

Goodwill Store & Donation Center
746 S. Rand Road
Lake Zurich, IL 60047
(847) 550-0769

:-"
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

djolof

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2013, 11:41:24 AM »
My goodwill in CT is posting this shit... http://hartford.craigslist.org/vgm/3617045160.html

WTF?! I called them out on it too... and the bastard had audacity to tell me that "that's what it's going for on the ebay". FML... i'll never find anything there again.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2013, 12:15:53 PM »
makes you wanna steal it from the store  :twisted: heh someone gave it to them so they deserve it  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

galam

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2013, 01:08:22 PM »
My goodwill in CT is posting this shit... http://hartford.craigslist.org/vgm/3617045160.html

WTF?! I called them out on it too... and the bastard had audacity to tell me that "that's what it's going for on the ebay". FML... i'll never find anything there again.

This is all because jerk offs get jobs there to have a jump on the incoming inventory. Once it reaches a few weeks, the employees can buy it. So these people are gouging the games hoping that nobody buys them. At least this was my understanding of it.

DarkKobold

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2013, 01:28:51 PM »
makes you wanna steal it from the store  :twisted: heh someone gave it to them so they deserve it  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Wow. f*cking Wow. Lets advocate harassing or stealing from a charity because we disagree with their pricing structure! What a bunch of self-deserving pricks in this thread.

Is that high for Chrono Trigger? Sure. But I can assume whoever donated this item would far rather have Goodwill Industries get over fair-market value for this item, with the money going back into actual charity, than to see one of you SCORE BIG TIME and the charity gets a measly $5 to help employ, train, and work with those in need of employment and workforce skills.

Yeah, its nice when you can score a cheap game at a charity shop. That, however, by no means ENTITLES you to get it for cheap. It also gives you no right to f*cking harass or steal from them.

I'm glad your need for cheap Chrono Trigger outweighs the needs of "people who have a disability, lack education or job experience, or face employment challenges. "
Hey, you.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2013, 01:50:06 PM »
I was being sarcastic dude.....

But heh it's NOT ok in my books for a "non profit" to rip people off

DarkKobold

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2013, 02:14:14 PM »
I was being sarcastic dude.....

But heh it's NOT ok in my books for a "non profit" to rip people off

... Wow. "I was sarcastic... but...." The moment you say "but," it throws away everything you said previously. You meant it, and now are just trying to back-peddle. (I wish I could find the comedian who did a great sketch on this.)

And a charity, by definition, can't rip you off. You could actually deduct the difference in price at Goodwill and FMV, and cite it as a charitable contribution. I'm not saying anyone is actually going to write-off $20 on Chrono Trigger on their taxes. My point is, you can consider "overpaying" as a charitable contribution, as even the IRS does.

You highlight "non-profit." That doesn't mean they shouldn't maximize the income coming in for ACTUAL CHARITY, just that the majority of income must be spent for the betterment of society. I should note, getting Chrono Trigger for cheap does not count towards the betterment of society.
Hey, you.

ElSeven

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2013, 02:35:58 PM »
honest question:  Because their profits go to charity, does that mean they are above criticism?
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP