Author Topic: Thrift Store  (Read 2694 times)

KnightWarrior

Re: Thrift Store
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2013, 02:37:21 PM »
Can Battle Ace be played on the PC Engine?

pc_kwajalein

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2013, 03:00:02 PM »

... Wow. "I was sarcastic... but...." The moment you say "but," it throws away everything you said previously. You meant it, and now are just trying to back-peddle. (I wish I could find the comedian who did a great sketch on this.)

And a charity, by definition, can't rip you off. You could actually deduct the difference in price at Goodwill and FMV, and cite it as a charitable contribution. I'm not saying anyone is actually going to write-off $20 on Chrono Trigger on their taxes. My point is, you can consider "overpaying" as a charitable contribution, as even the IRS does.

You highlight "non-profit." That doesn't mean they shouldn't maximize the income coming in for ACTUAL CHARITY, just that the majority of income must be spent for the betterment of society. I should note, getting Chrono Trigger for cheap does not count towards the betterment of society.

I actually caught Punkic's sarcasm in his post. I doubt many people would encourage the theft of items from a Goodwill store.

As far as maximizing income for actual charity, wouldn't charity be served quicker if an item was sold for a decent amount of money rather than sitting on the shelf with a high price tag? Even if they asked $40 for Chrono Trigger, they'd make a good sale compared to the many, many outdated Madden and NBA2K games they're selling for five or six bucks each.
My past-life would've surely led to our demise, and I had left it not a moment too soon. Our escape, though dangerous, had gone well. The train ride, sunlight, and passing snow-covered pine trees came together in a flickering show of our bright, new future together. Her head rested on my shoulder as she soundly slept to the gentle rocking of the passenger car. We felt freedom. We felt peace.

ElSeven

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2013, 03:05:18 PM »

As far as maximizing income for actual charity, wouldn't charity be served quicker if an item was sold for a decent amount of money rather than sitting on the shelf with a high price tag? Even if they asked $40 for Chrono Trigger, they'd make a good sale compared to the many, many outdated Madden and NBA2K games they're selling for five or six bucks each.

someone buy this wo/man a drink  :clap:
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

nectarsis

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2013, 03:12:18 PM »

You highlight "non-profit." That doesn't mean they shouldn't maximize the income coming in for ACTUAL CHARITY, just that the majority of income must be spent for the betterment of society. I should note, getting Chrono Trigger for cheap does not count towards the betterment of society.

How is helping the CHARITY when it sits unsold because of a ridiculous price?  Yeah thought so.  As stated above selling it a "normal" price would actually help it sell, and then the CHARITY GETS $, pretty simple
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2013, 03:34:17 PM »
If you ever buy anything at shopgoodwill auction site you get ripped off so bad over shipping. I've even emailed them about ridiculous shipping prices. I won a vintage watch for $10, was $10 shipping and $3 handling making it $23. The actual shipping price was $3.49 from usps. It was in a bubble mailer. I don't care if it's a non profit or not they were padding their profits with the shipping.
And DK lighten up man.... jesus christ I wouldn't steal from a thrift store..... In fact I donate a TON of stuff to them regularly. In fact I have a box I keep for stuff to go to the thrift constantly.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

pc_kwajalein

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2013, 03:39:19 PM »
someone buy this wo/man a drink  :clap:

Just a 30something guy who would appreciate a tall glass of chocolate milk with a side of crinkle cut French fries, sprinkled with seasoned salt. :D
My past-life would've surely led to our demise, and I had left it not a moment too soon. Our escape, though dangerous, had gone well. The train ride, sunlight, and passing snow-covered pine trees came together in a flickering show of our bright, new future together. Her head rested on my shoulder as she soundly slept to the gentle rocking of the passenger car. We felt freedom. We felt peace.

ccovell

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2013, 06:03:36 PM »
I partly agree with DK, in that this is a middle-class discussion, and gaming is a luxury anyway.

But the ebay argument that Goodwill employees use is indefensible.  People selling things on ebay had bought them originally and want a return on their investment.  Goodwill got whatever items for FREE.

How about this: when donating a game (in its box with instruction manual (of course, you slobs!)) to Goodwill, just insert a small sheet of paper in between the pages of the manual that says "IF YOU PAID MORE THAN $20.00 FOR THIS GAME YOU HAVE BEEN RIPPED OFF!  I DONATED IT FOR FREE."

You can fix it in there with tape or Post-it glue so nobody notices it until they buy the game and unbox it.

It's just a small bit of culture-jamming.

NightWolve

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2013, 08:36:22 PM »
On cases like this, really the store needs to be publicly shammed. This means post the address and phone number and have multiple people call in to complain. It may only cause severe annoyance, but if enough people tie up their phone line for a week, that still affects their ability to run well.
makes you wanna steal it from the store  :twisted: heh someone gave it to them so they deserve it  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Wow. f*cking Wow. Lets advocate harassing or stealing from a charity because we disagree with their pricing structure! What a bunch of self-deserving pricks in this thread.

Ah shaddup!

(P.S. Did Dickki mean "self-serving" there ? Never heard of self-deserving...)

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2013, 10:10:09 PM »
Evidently DickfaceTAS missed the fact that the items being donated were supposed to be made available back out to the community at an affordable price to help better the community itself, helping give people access to items they would not otherwise be able to afford, while taking the proceeds they make and putting whats left over after covering operating expenses towards education and employment programs and helping the needy.

Goodwill stores are not just supposed to be there as a pure profit making mechanism. The issue is though that now Goodwill has been restructuring and changing their management and worker mentality, and their sales ethics have gone to shit. Where as you used to have like their clearance centers that charge by the pound on some items, they would be organized and clean. However the one I visited had the bins being a disorganized mess, and many of them had dangerous items in them like busted camcorders, expired and leaking batteries, and broken glass and other sharp objects making it unsafe to look for items.

Between that, the constant gouging of items prices int he normal stores, not just including the video game related ones mind you, it has just gotten to be a pretty bad situation in general. People who could, and can afford the "luxury" items no longer will buy them due to the jacked up price, and people in need, on low incomes, poor, homeless, blah blah blah, who actually need the other items like kitchenware, clothing, etc, can no longer afford the hiked up prices either because now they price obviously used items at close to new retail prices. Anymore dealing with Goodwill now is like dealing with a hoarder who is forced into holding a garage sale, not wanting to let go of anything, so they are pricing everything for more then anyone would ever normally be willing to pay unless they simply don't know better.

What they don't realize is eventually this will run them into the ground. Their main customer base is mostly made up of people in need of affordable used items. These same people can always buy used clothes elsewhere, like on ebay itself, Salvation Army, Savers, yard sales, etc. Burning bridges with your main customer base will just make you in turn jack up prices higher to try to compensate for lost business, and the more they do that, the more customers they will lose until heads finally roll in management and a new price restructuring takes place.  I guess it would take a totally moronic a$$hole like DickfaceTAS to miss the point of all of this though.

Also, notice the sudden rise in complaints over the past couple of years?
http://www.ripoffreport.com/directory/goodwill-industries.aspx

Bernie

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2013, 12:12:30 AM »
Totally uncool DK.  Maybe if you spent more time actually conversing with this community, instead of attacking it, you would understand more of where we are coming from.  Everyone else has already basically said what I was going to say.  But I will add, what you are referring to is the DAV, where the funds go towards disabled vets. 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2013, 02:32:10 AM »
Wow. f*cking Wow. Lets advocate harassing or stealing from a charity because we disagree with their pricing structure! What a bunch of self-deserving pricks in this thread.

Go f*ck yourself.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

shabba

« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2013, 03:07:32 AM »
Has anyone actually looked at whether or not Goodwill is what would be traditionally defined as a non-profit? Sure, they meet the IRS standards, but are they really a model of ethics? Has anyone every paid at the checkout and been asked to donate the difference in their bill that is rounded up (i.e. your bill is 5.65, round it up to $6 even) to their "job training program"? I thought that the money I was paying WAS my donation. Unlike other thrift stores or charities, Goodwill gets 100% of their product from donations. Several other places will buy items, albeit a very low price, and then sell them along side the donated goods. Does this request for an extra amount bother anyone else? It sure irks me.

What is Goodwill's mission? They employ people who would otherwise have a tough time finding work. Felons, Mentally ill, etc. Well guess what else they do? They also get loads and loads of community service workers. FREE workers. I alone have had my probationers assigned there for thousands and thousands of community service hours. So they use their non-profit status to pay felons a shitty wage AND get free labor. Anyone look to see how much their corporate/HR people pay themselves?

I'm a capitalist. I believe in free market. As such, I choose to not give ANY business to Goodwill. I no longer donate to them and I no longer shop there. This "thrift" store has become a retail store and, to me, is a complete breach of non-profit ethics.
-Colin
Old enough to be your dad. Just ask your mom.

DarkKobold

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2013, 03:23:20 AM »
For starters, I should say, I think some of you meant "hyperbole." PunknicCyborg was using hyperbole. Sarcasm makes no sense in that context. I'm pretty sure NightWolve will accuse me of making up words again.

Blah blah blah blah....

Ten seconds of research shows you pulled a bunch of shit out of your morbidly-obese ass.

http://www.goodwill.org/about-us/our-mission/

Nowhere on their site do they state that their mission is to provide stuff back to the community at cheap prices. You made that bullshit up. Not surprising, really, you seem incapable of making arguments based in reality. In fact, in their FAQ:

If I shop at a Goodwill store, will I be depriving disadvantaged people of stuff they need?
No. Goodwill serves disadvantaged people by educating, training and placing them into jobs. By becoming gainfully employed, these individuals gain resources to buy the things they need. Many disadvantaged people who are in training or are employed by Goodwill Industries are offered vouchers or discounts at Goodwill retail stores.

Stop making bullshit up.

Also, this: http://www.goodwill.org/about-us/our-mission/member-goodwills/

Member Goodwills are independent, community-based organizations, governed by local boards of directors.

Your problems with goodwill are regional, as they are all independent entities.

Finally, oh teh noes! People on the interwebs filing "complaints!"

I should note, NONE of your pathetic, poorly-researched arguments somehow make it morally-right to harass a charity. You fail, FattyFatterson. Maybe you could spend ten seconds between shoveling cheetos into your mouth to do research. Or, go back to punching bell-ringing Santas because they annoy you... if you can get out of your rascal scooter.

(P.S. Did Dickki mean "self-serving" there ? Never heard of self-deserving...)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/self-deserving

I'm sorry you are poorly educated, and can't use google.

Hey, you.

nectarsis

« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2013, 03:28:35 AM »
Seriously, do you contribute ANYTHING to this site besides MASSIVE overuse of links to "prove" your points, as you are incapable of doing it on your own?
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Bernie

« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2013, 03:34:06 AM »
I wouldnt mind punching a bell ringing Santa..  They get on my damn nerves...