Author Topic: Thrift Store  (Read 2674 times)

DarkKobold

Re: Thrift Store
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2013, 04:20:21 AM »
Seriously, do you contribute ANYTHING to this site besides MASSIVE overuse of links to "prove" your points, as you are incapable of doing it on your own?

Its the academic style. If you don't reference what you are saying, you could just being making stuff up.  No one can "prove" a point on their own, you need outside references.
Hey, you.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2013, 04:25:05 AM »
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Bernie

« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2013, 04:30:11 AM »
Im still wanting to punch a Santa....

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2013, 04:30:51 AM »
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/self-deserving

I'm sorry you are poorly educated, and can't use google.

You'll note that the only definition given is for 'deserving', as 'self-deserving' does not have an entry.  It also isn't found in the Merriam-Webster, Cambridge, or Oxford dictionaries, you stupid shit.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2013, 04:40:32 AM »
a bunch of obnoxious bullshit

Because you clearly dont even read the shit you find on your own links, or dig around enough to get complete info:

http://www.goodwill.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/QandA.pdf
How does Goodwill help the environment?
Goodwill is an entrepreneurial leader, environmental pioneer and social innovator of the “reduce, reuse, re-purpose” practice, and it creates jobs in emerging industries. Entrepreneurial: Through its entrepreneurial business model of collecting and selling donated goods, Goodwill helps communities re-purpose usable items in environmentally sound ways and prevents the items from piling up in local land-fills.

Environmentally Conscious:
Goodwill’s process of selling and reusing used goods creates thousands of jobs and millions in revenues that fund job training programs in communities across the United States and Canada. It’s an environmentally sound process and, at the same time, a sound investment in the economic health of your community.

http://www.goodwillakron.org/about/environmental/what-happens-to-your-donations

First, we sort items to determine if they are sellable at our Retail Stores. Sixty percent of donations make it to our store shelves, where they are sold to shoppers looking for quality items at affordable prices. When an item doesn’t sell in the stores, we try to sell it a second time in our Outlet Store at a significant discount.

For those items that just don’t sell, they are put into our salvage stream where they are either sold to textile and other recyclers. For those donations that do not meet our quality standards, they too, end up in our salvage stream. If the item cannot be salvaged, it might be recycled in some other way. For example, if Goodwill has extra dishes or glassware, it “trades” another nonprofit organization in the community for that organization’s extra clothing or household items. Unfortunately some items must be disposed of. Through this process of reselling goods and recycling, Goodwill organizations across the country have diverted billions of used clothes and other goods from landfills. Plus, nationally, Goodwill has earned hundreds of millions of dollars by selling to salvage vendors – dollars that help people find jobs to our community.

http://lookingflyonadime.com/are-thrift-stores-becoming-too-expensive-part-two/
And if you care to read, you can see here where Goodwill responds to a question about the increasing price hikes at their stores by totally ignoring the question all together and just re-quoting their old mission statement diatribe.

http://ecorporateoffices.com/GoodwillIndustries-937
And again DIckFaceTAS, you can read here about the 1.7 out of 5 that Goodwill now maintains, with multiple reviews from both everyday customers and disgruntled employees both of whom are not pleased with the direction Goodwill is now going in.

The big difference here though between you DickfaceTAS and me is that I didn't have to actually look all this shit up on the net to know it. I have known Goodwill employees before on a first name basis due to being a regular, and have frequented many of their stores over the years for games and other electronic items. Being in the stores, all you have to do is open your ears and you can hear complaints from both employees and other customers about the current situation. But hey, I guess if you're just some dick face with some plain as day social disorder and total lack of empathy, whose only care in the world is cheat runs and Turbografx 16 ebay profits though, then pretty much all of this is way out of your ability to grasp anyway, so reading any of the above wont matter for you.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2013, 05:35:54 AM »
Its the academic style. If you don't reference what you are saying, you could just being making stuff up.  No one can "prove" a point on their own, you need outside references.

Academic, you say?  That's interesting:

Ten seconds of research shows you pulled a bunch of shit out of your morbidly-obese ass.

Yes.  Because this is clearly how academics discuss things!

I can see it now: "Professor, I disagree with your hypothesis about string theory!"

OH YEAH? WELL YOU'RE f*ckING FAT AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO ANYTHING YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT YOU'RE STUPID AND WRONG. I GOOGLED IT, YOU IDIOT.

Yeah.  That's how science works. 

Now, moving along here:

If I shop at a Goodwill store, will I be depriving disadvantaged people of stuff they need?
No. Goodwill serves disadvantaged people by educating, training and placing them into jobs. By becoming gainfully employed, these individuals gain resources to buy the things they need. Many disadvantaged people who are in training or are employed by Goodwill Industries are offered vouchers or discounts at Goodwill retail stores.

You see that voucher/discount thing?  Employees take advantage of that, buy things, and resell.  It's like creating your own raise.  You have to understand that some people are disadvantaged because they make poor life choices and are shady.  That's how they got where they are.   Not ALL people are like this.  Some are.  Goodwill, and most thrift stores, employ both kinds.

The rise of eBay and online sales has resulted in places like Goodwill now having online auctions.  They use that as their price maker instead of just having generic pricing schemes that they made up on a computer in the back room and printed out and taped to the wall.

You used to be able to get games for 2$ regardless of what they were.  I got a sealed Ultima VII for DOS.  5$.   I didn't resell it.  I opened the f*cker up and stared at the cloth map and installed that shit.

They have employees wheelin' and dealin' all the retro stuff right out of the back because it's the "in thing" now and they have first dibs on all of it.

I got someone fired from a thrift store, and made some people I went to highschool with look like a bunch of total f*ck ups because of this.

It's story time:

I know two people who are "vintage game collectors".  Read:  They buy things, have no clue about any of it, don't play any of it, and then use eBay to price/resell the stuff for money.  That's it.  It's strictly for money.  Morons. 

Then, they wonder why I make fun of them when they start with the inept knowledge on the subject.  Confusing Amiga and Atari computers is hilariously pathetic if you claim to be a collector.

Well, anyway, they have a friend who worked at a local thrift shop.  He called them up and was like yo, there's some legit items here.  I can hold them from going on the floor and sell them to you before they are processed (Read: I will steal these from the store, sell them to you out of the back door, and pocket all of the money).   

So they post this on Facebook (they almost always post their finds to brag about, which I then have to correct them on since they never have their information right), like total winners.  It was like a moral dilemma:

"Should we buy all these sweet old consoles cheap straight from our friend, or wait for them to hit the floor and buy them the fair way, but at a higher price?! Anyone have any advice?"

I said "How can you honestly debate this?  Should you steal from charity and promote employee theft OR should you be a legitimate customer?  Are you that stupid?"

Then I screenshotted it all and laughed my ass off.

It was really stupid.  How anyone could actually question that is beyond me.  You'd have to be a real pile of shit to do that.  When you selfishly put your own side-money maker ahead of charity, you suck at life and should never go outside, ever.

Not to mention, those people are hosing charity AND f*cking up the game collection stuff for those of us that actually play and enjoy the stuff.

I can't get an Apple IIe at a fair price because Steve Jobs died and it's cool for all the hipster retards to sell the stuff for $$$$$s in honor of their fallen cult leader.

Finally, oh teh noes! People on the interwebs filing "complaints!"

I should note, NONE of your pathetic, poorly-researched arguments somehow make it morally-right to harass a charity.
It's morally right to harass anything that is doing shady shit.  Many thrift stores now employee shady practices because the people employed are shady.  Because they're regional, these sort of things can slip throuh the cracks.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to get a charity back on track.

I mean, what if the charity was stealing from Walmart and reselling everything cheaper "for chairty"?

Some things need to be pressed to be fixed.

You fail, FattyFatterson. Maybe you could spend ten seconds between shoveling cheetos into your mouth to do research. Or, go back to punching bell-ringing Santas because they annoy you... if you can get out of your rascal scooter.

How about you come back when you want to try getting your shitty point across without using fat-jokes that a 3rd grader doesn't even find funny?
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Black Tiger

« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2013, 05:45:56 AM »
Seriously, do you contribute ANYTHING to this site besides MASSIVE overuse of links to "prove" your points, as you are incapable of doing it on your own?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=douchebag

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Ferengi

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=4449;sa=showPosts

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=4449;sa=statPanel
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

xelement5x

« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2013, 05:52:47 AM »
I just don't buy from Goodwill and Salvation Army frequently because I would rather support local thrifts. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

turboswimbz

« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2013, 05:55:08 AM »
Bernie,
1. YES punch a Santa
2. Upload to YouTube
3. I will reference it in ever post - annoyingly as such
www.youtube.com/berniepunchingasantaismuchbetterthantheshitgoingoninthisthreadstartedbydkwhocantjustshutupandletarantbearantforthesakeofrant
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:57:35 AM by turboswimbz »
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2013, 06:39:27 AM »
404 not found.

this is bullshit!

NightWolve

« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2013, 06:54:59 AM »
I'm pretty sure NightWolve will accuse me of making up words again.

Questioning yes, in that case, but accusation, not quite... What I have accused you of is being some type of limited purpose account that exists primarily to heckle/harass the Gouging thread (which probably had a lot to do with why you registered here) and anti-gouging/profiteering sentiment elsewhere (this being one of those times), though. So goes the theory, anyway. Lately, you have diversified your posts, so it'd be a harder case to make, but yeah, that's what I thought. Whatever the case, you don't seem to go away despite being mostly unwanted (with exceptions say for Nintega, nullity, and lukester) and I find it very unfortunate that we're, I guess, stuck with you for the foreseeable future...

(P.S. Did Dickki mean "self-serving" there ? Never heard of self-deserving...)

I'm sorry you are poorly educated, and can't use google.

Did this exchange prove that I am poorly educated and can't use Google or did it prove that you're arrogant and wildly/falsely generalize based on a simple question ?

I was genuinely curious because I've never seen 'deserving' prefixed with 'self', so I actually DID google it prior to posting my question! Go figure, huh? The first link that came up was of Dictionary.com, but it'd chop off the prefix and simply define 'deserving':

So then I looked up the word that I thought you probably meant to say which sounded more appropriate given the context and your usual bitch ass attitude ever since you got here ("You're all a bunch of self-serving pricks that want the cheapest possible price! RAWWWR!"), 'self-serving':
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/self-serving

In that case, there is a difference in behavior, it actually DOES show me a definition for it! Necromancer already beat me to the punch on that, but still, it doesn't make it outright wrong because pre-pending such a prefix is technically legal and documents come up using it, it's just rare and was the first I had seen it used with deserving. Also, while the other dictionaries refuse to give you anything for it, Dictionary.com does list it as an adjective, actually. Nonetheless, the question was still legitimate, which word you meant to use (self-deserving v. self-serving) as both would work given the context and just because I never heard of "self-deserving," didn't mean I was denying that it could be a legitimate prefix-base combo - I wasn't sure and the online dictionaries didn't make it conclusive given what I mentioned.

Anyway, to reiterate the short and simple message that I had: Ah, shaddup! Or, better yet, STFU!

DarkKobold

« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2013, 07:59:27 AM »
Good post....

Honestly, I'm not an English major, so I'm no expert on these things.  However, since it is a hyphenated prefix, I believe it can basically attached to nearly any noun or verb, so long as it makes sense. "Self-serving" really doesn't portray entitlement, which was my intent. Additionally, I made kind of a rude swipe, but given that you insulted me, I felt that it should be met in kind.

And yeah, I may be a total arrogant cunt, a dirtball reseller, but I'm not advocating the harassment of a charity, because they price things higher than I want to pay. Look, Arkhan raised a good point, if people are acting unethically, then you should act. Pricing things above FMV is not unethical, nor is it worthy of (poorly) attempting a harassment campaign against said charity.

Besides, cheap video games are out there, if you put in the effort. If Goodwill isn't pricing things in a way that is good for you, don't go there, instead of harassing them. And, in response to shabba, no, when you buy something from goodwill at or below FMV, it is in NO WAY a donation. The donation is purely from the side of the people providing the goods (and can be written off). Otherwise, you could write-off your Goodwill purchases on your taxes. You can't, unless you paid above FMV, like I noted before.

As an aside, I believe that the reason shopgoodwill's prices are often higher than ebay's, is that there are resellers who are buying from them. They then write off the entire donation as a charitable contribution, which would recover large amounts of the up-front costs. It would not survive an audit, so these people are gambling on never getting audited.
Hey, you.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2013, 08:05:37 AM »
Honestly, I'm not an English major, so I'm no expert on these things.  However, since it is a hyphenated prefix, I believe it can basically attached to nearly any noun or verb, so long as it makes sense. "Self-serving" really doesn't portray entitlement, which was my intent.
Then quit acting like one.

Additionally, I made kind of a rude swipe, but given that you insulted me, I felt that it should be met in kind.
What happened to academics?

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2013, 08:33:07 AM »
Pricing things above FMV is not unethical....

Coming from you, that sounds even worse then what it already reads off as.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2013, 09:02:27 AM »
Considering DickfaceTAS hasn't even seen me before I thought it was pretty funny he was calling me fattymcfattysumthin or wtf ever it was, like some 5 year old brat in kindergarten. I guess in his case though, when you got nuthin else to go on, its best to just knock someones generosity in a sale thread, then call him some childish name in another. I guess next he will call me "stupid fat head" or something similar. Skies the limit with that clown.