Author Topic: Introduction to the forum...sort of LOL  (Read 650 times)

Gladiator316

Introduction to the forum...sort of LOL
« on: February 20, 2013, 03:41:39 AM »
Hey guys I had posted a sale thread and decided to take some advice and let the members here get to know me better.

I am semi-new...
I have always collected ( only buy games that I wanna play...so sort of collecting) for the Top systems...NES, SNES, GENESIS, and decided that i have had enough with them and go for the system I only obscurely ever heard bout and about 5 years ago I ordered a RGB modded PC engine DUO_R w/ region switch ( i did research and found out that the US Turbo DUO is basically junk with faulty caps an all) and I have never looked back.....
and Yes the RGB to Component/HDMI picture (Framester MINI) will make your eyes bleed with joy...you just can't stop staring at the screen... :shock:

I have since grown to adore the Turbografx 16 and the unique library of games ( Dracula X, Bonk Series, Splatterhouse, just to name a few). I can't believe this system was not more widely known...This system should have gone toe to toe with the Genesis and Snes if it had been marketed correctly. I think we all can agree that the marketing was BALLS!!

Well Now I have quite a few games for the system and love every single one...yes even the sports games and Keith Courage  :P I also constantly watch spida1a's reviews...does amazing and honest reviews.

I can't wait to meet more of you and get to know your passion for this system.

THX

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:43:30 AM by Gladiator316 »
93/94 TurboChips

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Introduction to the forum...sort of LOL
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 04:45:07 AM »
Welcome aboard... sort of.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 05:33:11 AM »
Welcome to the 16 bit graphics revolution...sort of...;)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 05:37:55 AM »
I LOVE DUDES....

SORT OF

J/K

.... SORT OF.

:)

edit:  How do you like the framemeister in terms of usability?

I have an XRGB3, but almost got a framemeister instead.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:05:24 AM by Arkhan »
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Gladiator316

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 06:05:49 AM »
appreciate it...just makin my rounds on the forum  :roll:
93/94 TurboChips

Carparama

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 06:37:07 AM »
Welcome aboard!

Tatsujin

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 10:06:41 AM »
Nice to have you here...

.. sort of :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

420GOAT

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:20:33 AM »
WELCOME
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

Retro Nick

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 03:39:42 PM »
( i did research and found out that the US Turbo DUO is basically junk with faulty caps an all)

The grey PC-Engine Duo has pretty much the same reputation with caps from what I understand. I had to get mine re-capped.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 09:43:31 PM »
Welcome :)

I have since grown to adore the Turbografx 16 and the unique library of games ( Dracula X, Bonk Series, Splatterhouse, just to name a few). I can't believe this system was not more widely known...

You know, I always find this statement to be somewhat odd. I guess it is possible the system really wasn't well known among players in other areas, but where I live currently, which is where I also grew up at, NLR area of Arkansas, the Turbografx was widely known. It may not have been widely popular with everyone, but pretty much every kid I knew during the TG-16 systems retail life span that cared about video games on any kind of level knew about the Turbografx 16. Toys R Us, Software Etc, and Electronics Boutique all carried games for it, as did Sears and some other retail chains.

Most kids I knew did not shop at Wal-Mart, Target, or K-Mart for their games (mainly just parents did that), so basically where we spent our own cash also happened to be stores that carried the Turbografx. We also had a video store near by that rented out TG-16 games (R&R Video, and yeah, I bought the guy out of his TG16 and NeoGeo AES stuff :P ). Early TV ads had good exposure in the morning, coming on around the time Video Power aired, which everyone I knew watched, and also in general during normal cartoon air time. Between that, retail store exposure, the game magazines and comic book ads, pretty much everyone knew what it was because the exposure to the system was there.

They were just not sold on buying one, or did not have the cash to do so yet. It was always one or the other. Most parents in general did the game system shopping, and what they knew was Mario and Sonic and they went with what they knew, and what Wal-Mart, Target, and K-Mart told them to buy during the holidays. But to be flat out honest, the few kids I knew who actually bought systems with their own cash, they bought the Turbografx, which is interesting in and of itself, and they, like myself, usually preferred to have a TG along with their Genesis or Snes that their parents got them.

Part of the Turbografx systems issue early on was it did not have enough killer aps, and by the time they did get some they tried to milk those few titles to death with terrible marketing efforts instead of coupling them with a slew of other solid B+ and C+ titles and solid advertisement. Most of the TV advertisements done for the TG-16 early on were great, but once they started the comic book ads and moved on to Johnny Turbo it was just mostly one bad marketing move after another. The ad people seriously had no idea that it's not that hard to make cool fun games look cool and fun in a ad. Solid artwork that is actually relevant to the game, a brief description, and 3-6 gameplay shots will do it. Instead they ran these two page comic ads that had ZERO gameplay shots. An ad for a video game should never try to be a two page story void of gameplay screen shots. The other issue with marketing was at times not enough was done for games like Final Lap Twin and Ordyne.

Stuff like them, Dragon Spirit, Silent Debuggers, etc, they should have been advertised, if nothing else, then on single page advertisements showing off two games. Seriously, they could have scrapped those two page Bonk comic ads and ran one ad page showing wtf Bonk was actually like, and another page split, showing off two C+ to B+ titles. In one comic book or magazine these ad pages could have been back to back, and in others they could have been spread across a few pages to serve as a reminder, and stay fresh on the readers mind.

Anyway, basically during my middle and high school years I knew of 8 or 9 others who had a TurboGrafx 16 or TurboDuo. Most my close friends who did not have one wanted one due to the arcade ports and Bonk games, but they couldn't afford it until it was too late. One friend did not necessarily want one, Brent, but he did like coming over and playing the stuff I had on it (mostly he was into Eternal Champions, Fatal Fury 2, Samurai Showdown, and Chrono Trigger, etc). When I was in my late teens I also scored a huge TG lot from a guy also in a trade that had probably 30 games or so along with a TG CD, multi tap, etc. I think the peak of the games I had was very close to 70 in my teen years along with a couple of TG CD decks and stuff.

All in all this was something I can at least look back on with pride. I only knew a couple of people who had a Master System growing up, let alone anyone who actually knew what one was by the time I was a teenager, so at least the Turbografx was not so out on the fringe that it had it that bad in my area. And honestly, US sales of 2.5 million units, while not great by retail standards, is still pretty good if you just look at the fact that it was 2.5 MILLION systems that were bought and enjoyed, compared to like the NeoGeo AES and CD, 32x, 3DO, or Jaguar retail sales numbers for the US side of things. Over two million families of some type owned a Turbografx 16 or TurboDuo. And that in itself was by far a good enough reason for them to continue support up until 94 or whatever. And then you had Smartworks selling TG hardware after retail ended (whose hardware sales were not tallied in the total NA sales figure), and TZD taking over game sales, so I mean, in general, for it not being a retail success, it didn't do terrible by any means and it actually enjoyed pretty good support after its retail life ended.

Tatsujin

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 10:26:10 PM »
The pce/tg wasn't even something near to officially released
were I have grown up, and yet it was a well known system at
that time. Several game mags covered it monthly since it was released
in japan from day one onwards to the middle of the 90s.
It was nearly impossible to not know of its existence.
thanks to lot of importers the system was available to us in its full glory
anf even with RGB mods etc.
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Gladiator316

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 12:38:16 AM »

I have since grown to adore the Turbografx 16 and the unique library of games ( Dracula X, Bonk Series, Splatterhouse, just to name a few). I can't believe this system was not more widely known...

You know, I always find this statement to be somewhat odd. I guess it is possible the system really wasn't well known among players in other areas, but where I live currently, which is where I also grew up at, NLR area of Arkansas, the Turbografx was widely known. It may not have been widely popular with everyone, but pretty much every kid I knew during the TG-16 systems retail life span that cared about video games on any kind of level knew about the Turbografx 16. Toys R Us, Software Etc, and Electronics Boutique all carried games for it, as did Sears and some other retail chains.

Most kids I knew did not shop at Wal-Mart, Target, or K-Mart for their games (mainly just parents did that), so basically where we spent our own cash also happened to be stores that carried the Turbografx. We also had a video store near by that rented out TG-16 games (R&R Video, and yeah, I bought the guy out of his TG16 and NeoGeo AES stuff :P ). Early TV ads had good exposure in the morning, coming on around the time Video Power aired, which everyone I knew watched, and also in general during normal cartoon air time. Between that, retail store exposure, the game magazines and comic book ads, pretty much everyone knew what it was because the exposure to the system was there.

They were just not sold on buying one, or did not have the cash to do so yet. It was always one or the other. Most parents in general did the game system shopping, and what they knew was Mario and Sonic and they went with what they knew, and what Wal-Mart, Target, and K-Mart told them to buy during the holidays. But to be flat out honest, the few kids I knew who actually bought systems with their own cash, they bought the Turbografx, which is interesting in and of itself, and they, like myself, usually preferred to have a TG along with their Genesis or Snes that their parents got them.

Part of the Turbografx systems issue early on was it did not have enough killer aps, and by the time they did get some they tried to milk those few titles to death with terrible marketing efforts instead of coupling them with a slew of other solid B+ and C+ titles and solid advertisement. Most of the TV advertisements done for the TG-16 early on were great, but once they started the comic book ads and moved on to Johnny Turbo it was just mostly one bad marketing move after another. The ad people seriously had no idea that it's not that hard to make cool fun games look cool and fun in a ad. Solid artwork that is actually relevant to the game, a brief description, and 3-6 gameplay shots will do it. Instead they ran these two page comic ads that had ZERO gameplay shots. An ad for a video game should never try to be a two page story void of gameplay screen shots. The other issue with marketing was at times not enough was done for games like Final Lap Twin and Ordyne.

Stuff like them, Dragon Spirit, Silent Debuggers, etc, they should have been advertised, if nothing else, then on single page advertisements showing off two games. Seriously, they could have scrapped those two page Bonk comic ads and ran one ad page showing wtf Bonk was actually like, and another page split, showing off two C+ to B+ titles. In one comic book or magazine these ad pages could have been back to back, and in others they could have been spread across a few pages to serve as a reminder, and stay fresh on the readers mind.

Anyway, basically during my middle and high school years I knew of 8 or 9 others who had a TurboGrafx 16 or TurboDuo. Most my close friends who did not have one wanted one due to the arcade ports and Bonk games, but they couldn't afford it until it was too late. One friend did not necessarily want one, Brent, but he did like coming over and playing the stuff I had on it (mostly he was into Eternal Champions, Fatal Fury 2, Samurai Showdown, and Chrono Trigger, etc). When I was in my late teens I also scored a huge TG lot from a guy also in a trade that had probably 30 games or so along with a TG CD, multi tap, etc. I think the peak of the games I had was very close to 70 in my teen years along with a couple of TG CD decks and stuff.

All in all this was something I can at least look back on with pride. I only knew a couple of people who had a Master System growing up, let alone anyone who actually knew what one was by the time I was a teenager, so at least the Turbografx was not so out on the fringe that it had it that bad in my area. And honestly, US sales of 2.5 million units, while not great by retail standards, is still pretty good if you just look at the fact that it was 2.5 MILLION systems that were bought and enjoyed, compared to like the NeoGeo AES and CD, 32x, 3DO, or Jaguar retail sales numbers for the US side of things. Over two million families of some type owned a Turbografx 16 or TurboDuo. And that in itself was by far a good enough reason for them to continue support up until 94 or whatever. And then you had Smartworks selling TG hardware after retail ended (whose hardware sales were not tallied in the total NA sales figure), and TZD taking over game sales, so I mean, in general, for it not being a retail success, it didn't do terrible by any means and it actually enjoyed pretty good support after its retail life ended.

You are most likely right probably cause where i lived Nintendo and Sega overshadowed Turbografx....I remember looking at those cheesy kiosk vids at toys'r'us, but ran right past it...I believe I was such a Nintendo and Sega Fanboy that I thought it was just some bootleg system...Boy was I wrong....I guess peer pressure also got to me from friends at school...I was weak HAHAHA..
93/94 TurboChips

Gladiator316

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 12:42:27 AM »
The pce/tg wasn't even something near to officially released
were I have grown up, and yet it was a well known system at
that time. Several game mags covered it monthly since it was released
in japan from day one onwards to the middle of the 90s.
It was nearly impossible to not know of its existence.
thanks to lot of importers the system was available to us in its full glory
anf even with RGB mods etc.

Yeah...I was always looking forward to the next Mario game or Sonic...Always paying attention to the big titles...Knowing me I probably skipped past all the turbo ads....I don't even remember seeing a image of Bonk or even game play when I was younger...If I had known there was a third mascot...I most likely would have payed attention.. I literally looked at the kiosk for a couple of seconds...and I remember Gate of Thunder...but thats it.
93/94 TurboChips

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 07:33:03 AM »
I grew up in a small town and only knew of ONE other kid in school that had a Turbografx.  He also had a NeoGeo, Sega, Nintendo, and Jaguar.  I still joke with him on facebook from time to time about us being the only kids in town that had Turbo.  :)

In 1994 I bought two of my nephews a turbografx each for xmas and they were then the next cool kids that were the only people in school with Turbografx.

Tatsujin

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 09:39:12 AM »
Lol, that's great bro. how old were you in '94? :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net