Author Topic: Turbo CD Recommendations  (Read 620 times)

Carparama

Turbo CD Recommendations
« on: February 22, 2013, 03:13:34 AM »
Hey, folks.

I recently purchased a TG16/CD combo from turboswim and I'm eager to play my TG16 favourites from years past.  However, I've never, ever owned a Turbo CD.  I'm getting Y's Books I and II from him, which I know is the most popular "game" on the system.  However, I don't have the funds to buy super expensive games off of eBay like Gates of Thunder and Lords of Thunder.  So...

What are some gems I should be on the look for that may not be terribly expensive?  I'm probably going to play Y's to death when I get it, but what else should I look for?

Help this ignorant Turbo CD player out!

tpivette

Re: Turbo CD Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 03:19:27 AM »
Do you have the ability to play Super CDs? If you just have the 2.0 system card, you're limited to regular CDRom2s.

If you have the System 3.0 card:
- Dragon Slayer (rpg)
- Shadow of the Beast (platformer)
- Riot Zone (beat em up)

If just the 2.0 card:
- Cosmic Fantasy 2 (rpg)
- Valis 2 & 3 (platformers)
- Ys 3 (action/rpg)

All those can be had for under $30, except for Ys 3 which may take some time to find it for that price
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Bernie

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 03:26:15 AM »
Gates of Thunder and Lords of Thunder.  So...

What are some gems I should be on the look for that may not be terribly expensive?  I'm probably going to play Ys to death when I get it, but what else should I look for?

Help this ignorant Turbo CD player out!

Gate of Thunder....  :)  Pick up Loom for a decent point and click adventure, Vasteel for a nice strategy type game, all the Ys games, Shape Shifter, Dragon Slayer, any Homebrew game for two reasons.  Support and the games are actually pretty decent.  Well, all but Meteor Blaster....that game I couldnt get into at all.  But Implode, Insanity, and Mysterious Song are excellent pick ups for a fair price. 

Carparama

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 03:44:58 AM »
Do you have the ability to play Super CDs? If you just have the 2.0 system card, you're limited to regular CDRom2s.

Only 2.0.  How much will that hinder my ability to find good games?

As for Y's 3, I assumed it might be expensive, but Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Valis 2 & 3 are something I will look into.

And actually, I never even considered the homebrew.  That's awesome.  Do they require SuperCD or the 2.0?

Bernie

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 03:53:12 AM »
The Homebrew games are all Super CD. 

Carparama

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 03:55:55 AM »
Mmm, fair enough.  I'm trying to do some research to figure out if the SuperCD is an adapter, or what would be required to be able to play them, but I'm not having much success.  How much does a 3.0 card generally go for?  eBay isn't showing me anything.

Sorry for all the questions.  I hope I'm not being too annoying here.

tpivette

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 05:15:31 AM »
The US Super System card is pretty expensive. Not worth it in my opinion. On ebay, you'll only see gougers trying to sell it for $200+... hell, you can get a refurbished PCE Duo on here that has the 3.0 card built in for that price!

A better option is to get your TG16 region modded and use the Japanese 3.0 card. You can find that one complete for under $20. If you're handy with asoldering iron, BlueBMW sells region chips that you can install yourself for $18 shipped. Total investment... under $40, much better than the pricey US 3.0 card
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Dyna138

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 05:44:17 AM »
In addition to what's been mentioned Monster Lair and Exile are two of my favorites. You can also pick up Last Alert and Final Zone 2, those are pretty good top down shooters with some awfully cheesy voice acting.

Having just the 2.0 is pretty limiting you should definitely try and expand to play Super CDs if you can.

Black Tiger

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 05:49:20 AM »
CD games are region free, so you should only be looking PC Engine CD2 games until you can afford more than just the cheapest. What is the price barrier you're looking for? Gate and Lords aren't really expensive.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 05:53:52 AM »
Other great 2.0 games: Buster Bros., Cosmic Fantasy (not much of a language barrier), L-Dis, Sidearms Special, It Came From the Desert, Splash Lake, Terraforming, Rainbow Islands, Valis IV, and Spriggan.  Some of 'em might be pricey, but it's only money.  Why buy two mediocre games when you could get one really great game?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Carparama

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 06:18:18 AM »
I don't really have too much of a price barrier, but I don't want to go crazy.  I actually will have a second TG16 so maybe I could get it region-modded.

As for game suggestions, you guys have been great.  :)  So much stuff to play...!

KingDrool

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 06:30:01 AM »
Honestly: all of them. Even the US CD games that aren't that great are still worth playing, IMO. Really, there's not a turd in the bunch.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Black Tiger

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 06:48:26 AM »
Great lower end price range CD2 games:

Super Darius
Sidearms Special
Monster Lair -I believe the Turbo version is cheaper
Ys III -english friendly PCE version = <$15 shipped.
Valis II - IV Turbo or PCE
Avenger
Vasteel PCE
Exile Turbo
Cosmic Fantasy 2 Turbo
Pomping World
Splash Lake
Download 2 = <$30 if you're patient
Red Alert
Lords of the Rising Sun Turbo
Rayxanber II <$30
JB Harold PCE
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

turboswimbz

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 12:29:04 PM »
Hmmm . . . well one of those extra goodies is I'ml throwing in a JP 3.0 card for ya as well, you'll need a way to convert it (check on the chopsado :) ) or get 1 of your decks region modded, But this a fairly cheap process here on the forum.  That'll give ya an ability to play even more great CD games and get you around the ol' 3.0 N.A. card issue. 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Carparama

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 01:33:59 PM »
That's so cool!  Thanks, man!

I will eventually look at getting a chopsado or something.  Haha.  I'll have to research the region-modding stuff too.  :)