Author Topic: Are there any Dragons Lair-like games for the PCE?  (Read 1090 times)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: Are there any Dragons Lair-like games for the PCE?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 06:54:23 AM »
Kinda glad there aren't...  Those games seemed so, lacking??

They're pure memorization and quarter-eating.

Time Gal is my favorite one, with Space Ace and Dragons Lair right behind them.

Digital Comics are fun but if you can't read them there's not much point to playing them.   You're just staring at pictures and clicking randomly til the picture changes.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 07:34:05 AM »

They're pure memorization and quarter-eating.

Time Gal is my favorite one, with Space Ace and Dragons Lair right behind them.

Digital Comics are fun but if you can't read them there's not much point to playing them.   You're just staring at pictures and clicking randomly til the picture changes.

Ranma is pretty funny even if you can't understand it.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Tatsujin

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 09:24:34 AM »
Snatcher cdromantic has kinda qte'ish shooting sequences, lol :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Punch

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 02:09:32 PM »

Lacking? It's because you never KICKED SOME BUTT, fire it up on an emulator because IT'S PARTY TIME, LET'S EAT THEIR LUNCH!

Honestly it's better to not have those kind of games on the PCE, they're mostly shitty (specially in the FMV quality!) and I can see them being grainy as hell on the PCE SUROM

SignOfZeta

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 07:50:19 PM »
If you actually play one of these things long enough to get good at it there is a special feeling of "ass kick" that is different from any other game. Road Prosecutor is one of the very few LD games where the gameplay makes consistent sense, but fun can be had with Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, etc.

It takes so long and so much money to get good at it in the arcade that the LD player is likely to break first. I didn't master Space Ace until the CDi version came out. I didn't get good at Dragon's Lair until the DSi version was released a couple of years ago.

A PCE version could look semi-decent, but I'm not sure how bad the lag would be for loading death scenes. This was a problem with early CDROM versions of LD games. Maybe the Arcade Card could cache them while the main scene streams?

A friend of mine brought over a SNES flash cart that had a special chipset in it for which a SNES version of Road Prosecutor had been made. It was shockingly decent. It would be cool to see a PCE version of something like this.

Tatsujin

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 07:55:03 PM »
I so liked the QTEs in shen mue. they gave an amazing "ass kick" feeling when you were good at 'em..lol.

I guess HuVideo could have been used for that kind of games on the Turbo, and would have looked even better than the MCD stuff. Altough I do not know how much of storage a HuVideo of like 30min would use. Also not sure about the lag for the death scenes using HuVideo.
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Edmond Dantes

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 08:43:26 PM »
I like these games because they're quick, simple fun that don't really feel as daunting or like they're much of a commitment.  For that reason, they're a nice break from genres such as shmups or fighters (my recent addictions) which demand all sorts of skills from the player and basically don't allow you to make mistakes.

I also sometimes can't tell whether I want to play games or watch cartoons, so these give me the best of both worlds.

Black Tiger

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 02:44:56 AM »
If you actually play one of these things long enough to get good at it there is a special feeling of "ass kick" that is different from any other game. Road Prosecutor is one of the very few LD games where the gameplay makes consistent sense, but fun can be had with Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, etc.

It takes so long and so much money to get good at it in the arcade that the LD player is likely to break first. I didn't master Space Ace until the CDi version came out. I didn't get good at Dragon's Lair until the DSi version was released a couple of years ago.

A PCE version could look semi-decent, but I'm not sure how bad the lag would be for loading death scenes. This was a problem with early CDROM versions of LD games. Maybe the Arcade Card could cache them while the main scene streams?

A friend of mine brought over a SNES flash cart that had a special chipset in it for which a SNES version of Road Prosecutor had been made. It was shockingly decent. It would be cool to see a PCE version of something like this.

I think that Sega-CD games can't stream any better than PCE CD games because the bottleneck was the transfer rate from the CD, not the space to run the streaming video from. So the Sega-CD versions of these types of games should be possible on PCE, likely with improved color. The Arcade Card should be able to store quite a bit for any death scenes. Worst case scenario, the game might have to pause once or twice as though you're entering a new stage, in order to reload new death scenes. But if it was done after something like entering a doorway in Dragon's Lair, it wouldn't feel too out of place.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

spenoza

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 08:43:46 AM »
I think that Sega-CD games can't stream any better than PCE CD games because the bottleneck was the transfer rate from the CD, not the space to run the streaming video from. So the Sega-CD versions of these types of games should be possible on PCE, likely with improved color. The Arcade Card should be able to store quite a bit for any death scenes. Worst case scenario, the game might have to pause once or twice as though you're entering a new stage, in order to reload new death scenes. But if it was done after something like entering a doorway in Dragon's Lair, it wouldn't feel too out of place.

The CD transfer rate is indeed a problem, and the Sega CD tries to get around it by utilizing an aggressive Cinepak decoding scheme driven by its fast (comparatively) CPU. The 68k is better suited to the kind of math that compression algorithms rely upon than the 6502 architecture, and the one in the SegaCD is pretty darn fast. I'm not sure the PCE could muster enough horsepower to do video on the scale that the Sega CD does. It is clear that the PCE is capable of some forms of video, as evidenced by Sherlock Holmes and the like, but I'm pretty sure Sega's hardware improvements in the CD unit give it a not insignificant advantage here.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Tatsujin

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 12:34:48 PM »
I'm not sure the PCE could muster enough horsepower to do video on the scale that the Sega CD does. It is clear that the PCE is capable of some forms of video, as evidenced by Sherlock Holmes and the like, but I'm pretty sure Sega's hardware improvements in the CD unit give it a not insignificant advantage here.

Again, what about HuVideo? The few (officially two) I have seen so far, blew away anything I have seen on the MCD.
www.pcedaisakusen.net

spenoza

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 01:05:08 PM »
I'm not sure the PCE could muster enough horsepower to do video on the scale that the Sega CD does. It is clear that the PCE is capable of some forms of video, as evidenced by Sherlock Holmes and the like, but I'm pretty sure Sega's hardware improvements in the CD unit give it a not insignificant advantage here.

Again, what about HuVideo? The few (officially two) I have seen so far, blew away anything I have seen on the MCD.

I didn't say it wasn't possible, just that I think the Sega CD has a technical advantage when you are talking about traditional FMV delivery. HuVideo is, as I understand it, a rather neat implementation. But you'll notice it was only used twice and there's no Time Gal or Dragon's Lair on PCE SCD/ACD.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Punch

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 01:18:03 PM »
Is it possible to create homebrew with HuVideo? I've found an interesting hack where the gulliver boy intro is changed to another video:

"The images are only 16 color frames even though the huvideo frame format is capable of display up to 16 palettes of 16 colors."

Tatsujin

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 02:07:15 PM »
Yeah, would it be possible for some pce hackers
 to crack up a gulliver boy or yuna in pieces and
make a short qte game with at least one death scene
 out of it as a demonstration? :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net

TheClash603

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 02:47:20 PM »

I honestly love that they flip the screen in Road Prosecutor.  Even though you can't get into a DDR memorization grove with the game, it has greatly enhanced replayability in my mind.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 06:27:44 PM »
Yeah, there are versions of most FMV games on one platform or another where they reverse the image.