Author Topic: Different Turbografx-16 AC adapter question  (Read 384 times)

RyuHayabusa

Different Turbografx-16 AC adapter question
« on: March 08, 2013, 02:38:58 PM »
Ok, so after using an aftermarket AC adapter for my TG16 for a long time I finally found an original AC adapter to use. However, after looking at it I remembered that it looked different from the one I had years ago and it turns out I was right. Apparently there are two different looking TG16 AC adapters, one with a sticker and one with the technical specs stamped into the plastic. The information on them is nearly identical, and both are NTSC, not PAL. Anyone know why there are two versions? Here are two pics for comparison:

roflmao

Re: Different Turbografx-16 AC adapter question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 04:25:09 PM »
Wow, interesting find.  I don't have anything useful to add, but hope this is explored some.

Bernie

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 10:47:18 PM »
Most likely a small money saver with the sticker.

RoyVegas

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 02:08:34 AM »
I was doing my best to think of a good reason but I couldn't as I kept wondering what those brown poo stains were on the bottom one.. :-s
All is well. :)

NightWolve

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 03:02:50 AM »

Oops, I thought you originally said without the sticker and I agreed to that. But no, the cheaper one is without the sticker since it has to be made separately, while melting/imprinting the specs (however it's done) into the plastic can be done all at once on the assembly line I imagine.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:20:51 PM by NightWolve »

BlueBMW

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 03:22:18 AM »
Adding text like that to a plastic injection mold is no big deal.  In a CNC it would take maybe two hours to cut, and once its done every part that mold makes will have that on it.  Now if you have to change that information, then it gets tricky :)
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

NightWolve

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 04:31:05 AM »
Adding text like that to a plastic injection mold is no big deal.  In a CNC it would take maybe two hours to cut, and once its done every part that mold makes will have that on it. 

Yeah, that sounds more logical and it wouldn't waste any more energy than what's needed to mold the plastic in general. For a moment, I was thinking that the top piece got molded first overall and then a hot cast with the text presses down on it as it's moving through the assembly line or something, but that would be more expensive energy-wise than ordering stickers and just taping them on I would think. But yeah, a cast for the whole piece with text imprints makes more sense.

RyuHayabusa

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 04:55:04 AM »
I guess the next question is, which one does everyone here have? Is the stickered version or molded version more common?

RoyVegas

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 05:12:45 AM »
I guess the next question is, which one does everyone here have?

Mine is the sticker version.
All is well. :)

BlueBMW

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 06:23:27 AM »
I've got two of the molded versions.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

csgx1

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 08:30:15 AM »
Interesting, I had 3 molded versions.  I actually didn't know there was a different one with a sticker. 

jelloslug

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 10:19:54 AM »

Once the mold is made with the wording in it it's there forever.  To have the sticker they would have to go back and change the mold, make the stickers and have some one put them on.

Bernie

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 11:41:31 AM »
Well, duhhhh...  lol.  But there had to be a logical reason.  I mean, it is NEC of America!  :)

esteban

|    |