Author Topic: Whats the best way to clean a huey?  (Read 742 times)

galam

Whats the best way to clean a huey?
« on: March 13, 2013, 01:24:51 PM »
I'm sure this has already been discussed in the past, but I have never seen a topic on it.  And before anybody chimes in with "use the search function", I thought I would ask again since there have been a lot of new members that might also be interested.  Besides, this is a forum, conversation is encouraged!   :D

Anyway, I have heard a million different opinions on how to safely clean video games.  Use rubbing alcohol, don't use rubbing alcohol.  Use windex, don't use windex.  Use goof-off, don't use goof-off.  Run it through a car wash...actually, nobody has ever said not to do this so maybe this is the answer.

But seriously, what do you guys use (or vehemently avoid) for cleaning contacts?  I have a few obeys that need a spit shine, but I don't want to damage them.

Any advice is appreciated.

jelloslug

Re: Whats the best way to clean a huey?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 01:41:45 PM »
I use rubbing alcohol for contacts and goof-off followed up by rubbing alcohol to clean the cart itself.  If there are sharpie marks on it I have used hairspray to remove the sharpie.  I have even gotten it to remove the sharpie off of labels with out damaging the label.

Tatsujin

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 01:53:40 PM »
I always use a tissue and whisky (not whiskey).
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Sparky

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »
I use my ball sack... I drag a hue back and forth on it and it springs to life

galam

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 02:25:42 PM »
I use rubbing alcohol for contacts and goof-off followed up by rubbing alcohol to clean the cart itself.  If there are sharpie marks on it I have used hairspray to remove the sharpie.  I have even gotten it to remove the sharpie off of labels with out damaging the label.

I've heard alcohol isn't good for them in the long run, but I don't know if that's true.

turboswimbz

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 03:01:04 PM »
Eraser over the contacts. Any clean one you got around will work. I also use hairspray for marks on the cart.  Then gentl soap and water. I protect the plastic with armor all wipes or similarly lightly. (Not near the contacts)

Protip: the search function here sucks. Yous gotta google search the site to find anything relevant. Besides Just ask the question anyway and ask for forgivness.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Bernie

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 03:03:40 PM »
I flush mine in the toilet a few times.

galam

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 03:12:17 PM »
I flush mine in the toilet a few times.

Thats a shame Bernie.  I was actually hoping you would chime in here.  I remember when I gave you the goonies and ninja kid carts, you saying you gave all your NES games a good cleaning before playing them.  So I figured you might have some good advice.

Bernie

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 03:19:03 PM »
Seriously tho.  I use one those pink wedge erasers.  I rarely use alcohol anymore since the eraser cleans em sparkly clean. :).

Sparky

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 03:23:43 PM »
Galam good advice.. Shakes nuts

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 03:22:45 AM »
I clean the contacts with an eraser and the rest with rubbing alcohol.  No problems yet.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

galam

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 03:25:00 AM »
So the eraser thing seems to have some traction.  I've never heard of this.

turboswimbz

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 03:31:08 AM »
I learned the eraser trick from Necro and Bernie in a similar thread a while back.    :clap:    It's never failed me.  I've even bought as-is hu-cards and cleaned them like this and BAM perfect working Hucard for a few bucks. Got me a $5 dead moon loosey this way.   :)

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

jelloslug

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 03:34:39 AM »

I've heard alcohol isn't good for them in the long run, but I don't know if that's true.

Naaa, it won't hurt the contacts.  I guess if you left the card submerged in a container for a long time you might damage the glue that holds the black circuit board to the plastic housing but that would be it.

galam

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 03:42:08 AM »
I learned the eraser trick from Necro and Bernie in a similar thread a while back.    :clap:    It's never failed me.  I've even bought as-is hu-cards and cleaned them like this and BAM perfect working Hucard for a few bucks. Got me a $5 dead moon loosey this way.   :)

Just a typical, pink pencil eraser?