Author Topic: WTB: Turbo Duo HuCard Door  (Read 1061 times)

jazetajr

Re: WTB: Turbo Duo HuCard Door
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 01:22:26 PM »
Hey ya'll, im also looking for a duo hucard door. if anybody has an extra to sell...

SeymorOnion

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
Are there only two versions of the HuCard Door?

Is the PCE Duo-R and PCE Duo-RX the same color?

turboswimbz

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 02:34:03 PM »
Yeah Seymour the usa duo is the same as the orginal pce duo. Then you have the r and rx in white.  Ideally a matching color one would be produced. If you could help out on making these at a reasonable price that would be awesome.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

SeymorOnion

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 02:51:14 PM »
I know of a rapid prototyper up in Dallas, that should be able to make the black ones (color matched) for me.
If I have them make about one thousand, (with a small aluminum injection mold) I could sell em for about $2 USD each.
Shipping (one of em) to a USA address would cost $1.69, so the total Domestic price, for just one, would be under four bucks.

If ya'll like me to look into getting the black versions made, (and confirm pricing) you can e-mail me a CAD File, and I'll run it by the guys up in Dallas, to get a quote.
I'd also need to borrow a black HuCard Door, for the Color Matching.  :wink:

Edited To Add: A cheaper alternative might be to use one of your 3D Printed Doors, to make some silicon molds, that you would then fill with an ABS-Like Resin.
Depending on the resin, it could be more rugged, and cheaper, than straight 3D-Prints.
It would take some experimentation to get the color just right, but it's still doable.
However, that's something you guys would have to do, as I don't have any experience with silicon molds.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:01:30 PM by SeymorOnion »

Phase

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 04:39:47 PM »
Would it be easier to just silicon mold an original? whenever I see pictures the object always seems to come out clean and undamaged.
Then again I've never done any molds myself  :-k

SeymorOnion

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 04:44:28 PM »
Would it be easier to just silicon mold an original? whenever I see pictures the object always seems to come out clean and undamaged.
Then again I've never done any molds myself  :-k
Do'h!
Yeah, it would be far simpler to use an origonal to make the silicon mold.
Good catch :wink:
From what I've read, and seen, the silicone shouldn't stick to the origonal part at all; just make sure it's nice and clean.

tggodfrey

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 04:46:44 PM »
Werent the Duo R and RX a slightly different color?  I thought I read the RX had a tint of purple shade to it.

The controller adapters that Esteban posts is one of the ones I make.  I make them in a few different styles and as you can see he has the white one, PCE controller TG16 console adapter.  I am about to make another run of them so watch the FS section here in the next day or so.

NEC made a TG16 controller to Duo console adapter.  You will see them on ebay but they have gotten rather high priced.  I make those as well as PC engine controller to TG console adapters.

Terry
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:34:30 PM by tggodfrey »
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

Phase

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 05:02:41 PM »
Cool, sounds good.  :)

TheOldMan

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
From my expeiences, trying to make HuCard shells....

Would it be easier to just silicon mold an original?
Seems like it would be. But silicon shrinks by roughly 10% as it dries :(

whenever I see pictures the object always seems to come out clean and undamaged.
Depends on what you mold it with, and how you mold it. I never had anything come out that didn't need
touched-up in some way, though.

Just out of curiosity, though, what would you use as a medium to fill the mold with? It would almost have to be a resin compound, and you would need a 2-piece mold to get the curve correct on the door.....

Please note: I'm not saying it couldn't be done. For someone with lots of experience, it probably would be relatively trivial. But in 3 months of experimenting with it, I couldn't even get a correct sized, perfectly flat HuCard blank :(

SignOfZeta

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 05:35:24 PM »
Are there only two versions of the HuCard Door?

Is the PCE Duo-R and PCE Duo-RX the same color?

The one on the right isn't "USA" its just "original black Duo". There is an identical JP part on the original PC Engine Duo.

At this point there are no white Duos that are exactly the same color. :)

It doesn't matter though. Nobody needs a white Duo lid anyway.

IMO since the lid doesn't actually do anything important at all, cosmetics are the only thing that matters. If it doesn't look exactly like the real thing there isn't any point in making it. Rapid prototype stuff will have sand paper texture that will require 100 hours of polishing and sanding and painting to approximate the original. Additionally, its going to be fragile at the hinge. Even installing it without breaking it could be tough since it has to be squeezed a bit. Now, 3D printing is advancing every day so things could change with the next generation of stuff, but I deal with RP parts at work quite often and you have to be really careful with the stuff.

Cold cast resin isn't going to work either. The texture would be way better, but you still have fragility and color issues.

Therefore, it should be a IP part that that's going to cost some bucks, especially since probably only 20 people in world want one.

SeymorOnion

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 05:54:10 PM »
This is the first I heard that an Aluminum Injection Mold can't produce a smooth part; perhaps you are talking about STL or another form of 3D Printing?

TheOldMan

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2013, 07:42:39 PM »
This is the first I heard that an Aluminum Injection Mold can't produce a smooth part.....
That's not what I said. The reference was to silicon molds, which in fact do shrink and peel, especially with multiple uses. Never tried aluminum injection molds, so I can't say how well they work (though I asume it would be fine, since that's how some plastic parts are originally created)

... perhaps you are talking about STL or another form of 3D Printing?
STL is a file format for 3d models. They get sliced and turned into machine commands for a 3d printer.
3d printers do an acceptable job of producing parts, but they too have to be cleaned up and finished.
Not to mention, they take a long time for the actual printing.

Rapid prototype stuff will have sand paper texture that will require 100 hours of polishing and sanding and painting to approximate the original. Additionally, its going to be fragile at the hinge. Even installing it without breaking it could be tough since it has to be squeezed a bit.
The finish can be done in less than 1/2 hour. It does not require 100s of hours of polishing, etc, if you are working in ABS plastic. 5 minutes or less in an acetone vapor bath, plus time to dry.
Anything you make is going to be fragile at the hinge joint. The little nubbies are prone to breakage, no matter how the part is made. ABS is a bit more forgiving than some of the harder plastics, though. Like I said before, its a bit more flexible.

I deal with RP parts at work quite often and you have to be really careful with the stuff.
What kind? Sintered metal? Fused thermoplastic? Something else?
Yes, rapid prototype parts can be breakable, depending on how they are made. That does not mean they have to be, though. Done right, small runs can be as durable as the orginal - it is just plastic. Injection molding does not change the plastics properties.

And just for the record: there are several kickstarters gong on right now to produce a filament making machine from raw ABS pellets and colorants, so people are no longer limited to the 'stock' colors. Someone with a good eye for color could probably match the slight purple tint the Duo-R has.

[on a personal note: I'm Cheap. ABS filament is ~$50 for 2Kg, which would probably be more than enough to make 20 doors. If you go the color-your-own filament route, it costs about $10 in materials to make the same 2Kg, since raw pellets are cheaper. Maybe I'll steal Arkhans door and model it, just to see...]

SignOfZeta

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 07:08:11 AM »
IP parts and RP parts have different strength qualities even if made from the same plastic for the same reason that parts made from metal have different properties depending on weather they were cast, forged, machined from billet, powder formed, or banged out with a hammer and anvil.

The fragile nature of the hinge means that the material is more important, not less. Just because its easy to break you shouldn't say, "f*ck it, use whatever, it's going to break anyway." You should use the strongest process possible to help prevent breakage.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 07:46:31 AM »

IMO since the lid doesn't actually do anything important at all, cosmetics are the only thing that matters. If it doesn't look exactly like the real thing there isn't any point in making it. Rapid prototype stuff will have sand paper texture that will require 100 hours of polishing and sanding and painting to approximate the original. Additionally, its going to be fragile at the hinge. Even installing it without breaking it could be tough since it has to be squeezed a bit. Now, 3D printing is advancing every day so things could change with the next generation of stuff, but I deal with RP parts at work quite often and you have to be really careful with the stuff.

Ehh, it does keep dust out of the Duo card slot. It has a purpose, just not a critical one. Even if it were miscolored and made on a 3D printer, I'd be interested in a door for my Duo that I broke the door off of years ago trying to jam a Kisado into.
--DragonmasterDan

DarkKobold

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 08:10:54 AM »

Therefore, it should be a IP part that that's going to cost some bucks, especially since probably only 20 people in world want one.

I think there are probably a few more than 20. I count 1 active, and 2 completed with no door on ebay. If we say that ebay accounts for 50% of sales, that means that there are 6 people every 3 months that are in need of a Duo door, or 24 per year. If there were 20 active forum members who needed one, it wouldn't be ridiculous to assume that you could get rid of 50 in a year. You'd have to sell them on ebay to get wider exposure, but it would be a service to all turbo collectors, not just the ones on this forum. 

At least, that is my analysis. Hopefully that helps whoever makes them.
Hey, you.