Author Topic: Girly CD's part of complete set?  (Read 2273 times)

Mishran

Re: Girly CD's part of complete set?
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2013, 01:06:41 AM »
Official retail releases are what I consider complete set. Anything not recognized by NEC isn't. The booby slideshows (which I consider homebrew), more recent releases (Implode, MBDX, MSR, etc.), are more or less bonus additions to the set that are more than welcome to sit on the shelf with the rest. Yes Ark, that includes the Protocade card. :wink:

I don't own a Laseractive, though wish I did, so the LD games aren't on my list of games to get. Unless I perchance come across them in the wild for cheap at a flea market or such.

Tatsujin

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2013, 01:37:44 AM »
everybody needs le most mauvais pr0n even made for money.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2013, 02:21:45 AM »
If you guys dont like the discussion then then out of it.  This was just a basic discussion question of what your personal opinions are AS THEY APPLY TO YOU ONLY.  Same thing when anyone asks what your opinion of a game is.  If you cant handle discussions liek that then you dont belong on the internet or in any type of society. 

Get you panties out of a bunch, Terry.

Saying 'who gives a f*ck' is as valid of an answer to your question as anything else.  If you can't handle responses that don't precisely fit within your predefined, narrow view of acceptable answers, then perhaps it's you that needs a break from the interwebz.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Sparky

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2013, 04:04:43 AM »
never really considered them or wanted them so i guess i could live with out them from my set.
But a new home brew of something like them maybe a "girls gone wild" would be worth watching :)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2013, 04:38:37 AM »
Coming soon to a truck stop near you: Canadian Bikini Girls of Moose Knuckle Island.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

vestcoat

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2013, 07:45:56 AM »
I think they fall under the Window of NEC software. But I see the LaserActive stuff as being a different platform as it used a media exclusive to Pioneer only hardware, if dealing strictly with US releases of both hardware and sofware. Now in Japan because there is an NEC branded LaserActive, that's another matter entirely for PC Engine collectors.
I'm aware of the N10s compatibility. The thing is, the N10 wasn't the standard issue for TurboGrafx 16 hardware. Yes it has the widest compatibility of any North American released system in the NEC family. But when I say standard issue, I mean the the original model. The original model has no add-on or peripheral that allows it to play Laserdisc based games.
Could your arguments be any more arbitrary?

According to you, "official" games must be:
1) released on widely-supported media. Popular formats invented by Sony and Phillips are fine, LD's used by Pioneer and Phillips aren't.
2) every required hardware component must be manufactured by the parent video game company and released in every county were their officially-licensed games are sold. The fact that NEC only supplied half of the U.S. hardware nullifies the official-ness of their North American LD games. Japanese games are fine because NEC slapped their name on a licensed Laseractive.
3) all required hardware must be "standard issue", that is, somehow compatible with whatever first-generation hardware the console appeared on (contradicting your statement that Japanese LD-ROM's are part of the PCE set).

None of this makes any sense. The bottom line is LD-ROM games are officially licensed and running on complete TG/PCE hardware from the NEC PAC. Still, I'll humor your points for the sake of argument.

Media: it doesn't matter what the format is. Some formats take off and become popular (CD, DVD, Blu-Ray), some languish with their parent company (LD, minidisc, GD-ROM, HD DVD etc). The TurboGrafx had already dabbled in two formats, adding a third doesn't mean it's suddenly a different console. The media is completely irrelevant.  

Hardware: again, the N10 contains a fully functional TurboGrafx. There are no significant hardware differences. It's not even a SuperGrafx. The backgrounds streaming off an LD-ROM are no different than redbook audio streaming off a CD-ROM.

Licensing: yes, Pioneer hardware was required to play LD-ROMs in the US in 1993. So what? Panasonic hardware was required to play 3DO games. JVC made a Sega. The SNES has a Sony chip. TTI was dead in the water and couldn't even bring 6-botton controllers to the U.S. Allowing Pioneer to house their hardware and supply the optical drive doesn't change the processing hardware or distance the N10 from the "NEC family".

Standard issue: seriously, WTF. Your "standard issue" U.S. hardware was dead by 1993 and barely even got SCD compatibly. The 3.0 card came well after the Duo's release, was never sold in stores, and only sold a few hundred units. By your logic, the Duo and its line of SCD games would be a different platform if not for the belated, pitiful release of the 3.0 card. Just because the line of LD-ROM games never became popular enough for TTI to make some kind of TG16-to-Laseractive interface doesn't mean the TurboGrafx housed in the N10 isn't a TurboGrafx.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:49:56 AM by vestcoat »

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2013, 07:57:25 AM »

1) released on widely-supported media. Popular formats invented by Sony and Phillips are fine, LD's used by Pioneer and Phillips aren't.
2) every required hardware component must be manufactured by the parent video game company and released in every county were their officially-licensed games are sold. The fact that NEC only supplied half of the U.S. hardware nullifies the official-ness of their North American LD games. Japanese games are fine because NEC slapped their name on a licensed Laseractive.
3) all required hardware must be "standard issue", that is, somehow compatible with whatever first-generation hardware the console appeared on (contradicting your statement that Japanese LD-ROM's are part of the PCE set).

None of this makes any sense. The bottom line is LD-ROM games are officially licensed and running on complete TG/PCE hardware from the NEC PAC. Still, I'll humor your points for the sake of argument.

Media: it doesn't matter what the format is. Some formats take off and become popular (CD, DVD, Blu-Ray), some languish with their parent company (LD, minidisc, GD-ROM, HD DVD etc). The TurboGrafx had already dabbled in two formats, adding a third doesn't mean it's suddenly a different console. The media is completely irrelevant.  

Hardware: again, the N10 contains a fully functional TurboGrafx. There are no significant hardware differences. It's not even a SuperGrafx. The backgrounds streaming off an LD-ROM are no different than redbook audio streaming off a CD-ROM.

Licensing: yes, Pioneer hardware was required to play LD-ROMs in the US in 1993. So what? Panasonic hardware was required to play 3DO games. JVC made a Sega. TTI was dead in the water and couldn't even bring 6-botton controllers to the U.S. Allowing Pioneer to house their hardware and supply the optical drive doesn't change the processing hardware or distance the N10 from the "NEC family".

Standard issue: seriously, WTF. Your "standard issue" U.S. hardware was dead by 1993 and barely even got SCD compatibly. The 3.0 card came well after the Duo's release, was never sold in stores, and only sold a few hundred units. By your logic, the Duo and its line of SCD games would be a different platform if not for the belated, pitiful release of the 3.0 card. Just because the line of LD-ROM games never became popular enough for TTI to make some kind of TG16-to-Laseractive interface doesn't mean the TurboGrafx housed in the N10 isn't a TurboGrafx.

1. HuCards I'm counting as offical releases and it was a far less popular medium than LaserDisc.

2. Also the N10 PACs while licensed were made by Pioneer, not NEC.

3. I think because an NEC Laseractive exists for the Japanese market it creates a more solid argument for them being included in a PC Engine collection. I didn't say I definitely think my personal view of what should and shouldn't count includes them among Japanese PC Engine collecting.

I think a better argument for including them as TurboGrafx releases would be made, and that I personally would agree with, if a link cable or some other add on allowing the play of Laserdiscs existed for any US released NEC hardware. But it doesn't.

Just on a side note, I own a LaserActive and an NEC PAC (Japanese one though). I'm well aware of its functionality.

Here's the big difference between JVC making the X'eye and actual Sega CD software. There are not games that ONLY play on the X'eye. I can only play my LD-ROM2 US released games (I have Vajra and Manhattan Requiem) on a Laseractive. Not on any other variation of US released hardware that we're distinguishing as the same platform.

And I'm not saying the N10 isn't part of the TurboGrafx family. But what I am saying I personally categorize difference between games that can ONLY be run on the Laseractive as being Laseractive Games rather than TurboGrafx 16 games. If there were games that only ran on the X'eye I'd have the same categorization for them.

Added in edit: I also don't categorize the Mega LD games as being Genesis or Sega CD games.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:59:23 AM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

turboswimbz

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2013, 08:20:13 AM »
This is the old "lumpers" versues "Splitters" argument.  What makes one thing diffrent enough from another or similar enough to each other to be in the same group?  I love this argument, as anyone who puts forth a valid system for grouping is "right". 

I personally am a splitter, So there is any number of complete sets for me:
Hu-card only
Cds - only
Cd - only
Super CD - only
LD - only
Hu-card + CDs only
All North american released
North American Offical Turbografx-16 released
Non Offical Turbografx-16 released
Games only and no other software or hardware

Over all i view the general complete set as All the games that were released here in the United States by TTI and NEC/Hudson not including the girly games, system cards, or homebrews.

My favorite complete set however is to have some PCE/Turbo Stuff from every active member here: I postit note when and who I got stuff from.  A set I will never quite complete I'm sure, but it's fun as hell to collect.

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2013, 08:26:40 AM »
Based on the "standard" hardware argument:

If, CD games are required for a full set = true statement
Then, Laseractive games are required for a full set.

If, hu-cards only are required for a full set = true statement
Then, Laseractive games are not required for a full set.

The "If" statements are entirely opinion based, but the "Then" statements are logical truth based on your initial response.

Sounds like a damn BASIC program.

It's cool to get various opinions on how a 'collector' views their goals and how they believe a complete collection should be viewed.  Me personally I think anything that plays on my Duo and had a release either via a downloadable or an official (or even unofficial) release is all time spent on the console I grew up loving, so I consider them all part of the family.  :)  I do kind of think that Supergrafx and LaserActive games, given that they require separate hardware aren't really necessary if someone feels the need to collect all the Turbografx or PC Engine games tho...

If you were say collecting PS3 games- would you then need to have all the PSone and PS2 games to have the complete set?  If you have the right PS3 you can play them all.  :)

Black Tiger

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2013, 09:11:09 AM »

Licensing: yes, Pioneer hardware was required to play LD-ROMs in the US in 1993. So what? Panasonic hardware was required to play 3DO games. JVC made a Sega. TTI was dead in the water and couldn't even bring 6-botton controllers to the U.S. Allowing Pioneer to house their hardware and supply the optical drive doesn't change the processing hardware or distance the N10 from the "NEC family".

1. HuCards I'm counting as offical releases and it was a far less popular medium than LaserDisc.

2. Also the N10 PACs while licensed were made by Pioneer, not NEC.

3. I think because an NEC Laseractive exists for the Japanese market it creates a more solid argument for them being included in a PC Engine collection. I didn't say I definitely think my personal view of what should and shouldn't count includes them among Japanese PC Engine collecting.

I think a better argument for including them as TurboGrafx releases would be made, and that I personally would agree with, if a link cable or some other add on allowing the play of Laserdiscs existed for any US released NEC hardware. But it doesn't.

Just on a side note, I own a LaserActive and an NEC PAC (Japanese one though). I'm well aware of its functionality.

Here's the big difference between JVC making the X'eye and actual Sega CD software. There are not games that ONLY play on the X'eye. I can only play my LD-ROM2 US released games (I have Vajra and Manhattan Requiem) on a Laseractive. Not on any other variation of US released hardware that we're distinguishing as the same platform.

And I'm not saying the N10 isn't part of the TurboGrafx family. But what I am saying I personally categorize difference between games that can ONLY be run on the Laseractive as being Laseractive Games rather than TurboGrafx 16 games. If there were games that only ran on the X'eye I'd have the same categorization for them.

Added in edit: I also don't categorize the Mega LD games as being Genesis or Sega CD games.

All Turbo/PCE hardware is arguably in the same boat as the X'eye and Laseractive, since Hudson is the equivalent of Sega/Nintendo and NEC is only one of multiple manufacturers of Turbo/PCE compatible hardware.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2013, 09:30:22 AM »

All Turbo/PCE hardware is arguably in the same boat as the X'eye and Laseractive, since Hudson is the equivalent of Sega/Nintendo and NEC is only one of multiple manufacturers of Turbo/PCE compatible hardware.

Agreed, but the question was about whether or not games that exclusively play on a system not made by the original vendor but using the same hardware architecture should count.

In my mind The X'eye is just a Genesis/Sega CD/Karaoke combo. It doesn't play any games that the Genesis/Sega CD does not. The LaserActive with the Sega PAC is in the same boat as the LaserActive and the NEC PAC. It plays games using the same architecture as another system, but only plays them on that platform. The systems definitely count as compatible and licensed units. But the games specific to those systems are a whole different animal.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2013, 10:00:31 AM »

Agreed, but the question was about whether or not games that exclusively play on a system not made by the original vendor but using the same hardware architecture should count.

In my mind The X'eye is just a Genesis/Sega CD/Karaoke combo. It doesn't play any games that the Genesis/Sega CD does not. The LaserActive with the Sega PAC is in the same boat as the LaserActive and the NEC PAC. It plays games using the same architecture as another system, but only plays them on that platform. The systems definitely count as compatible and licensed units. But the games specific to those systems are a whole different animal.

Check it out:

Only runs on Mk1 Wondermega, manufactured by Victor, since it needs the MIDI port.

Btw, you're insane. LDROM2 games are officially licensed Turbo Grafx games, PERIOD, therefore any "complete" collection has these. There is nothing debatable here and your labyrinthian logic changes nothing. The "standard hardware" thing makes no sense to anyone but you, but anyone can grasp the idea of officially licensed products. Deals were made, money changed hands. The logos present on these hardware and software are being used %100 legally.

Of course, anyone going for a "complete" anything irrispective of quality, interest level, etc is a f*cking idiot, IMO, but that doesn't make plain basic facts any different. If you don't want to spend thousands of dollars buying all the LA games (or even compiling a list for that matter) then fine, I support that. Why WOULD anyone want every LA game? However, they are part of the set. No question whatsoever. If you aren't going to collect them then just don't collect them. Your collection will be "everything that runs in my Duo" or whatever, but it won't be "complete". And that's perfectly fine.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2013, 10:49:32 AM »

Check it out:

Only runs on Mk1 Wondermega, manufactured by Victor, since it needs the MIDI port.

Btw, you're insane. LDROM2 games are officially licensed Turbo Grafx games, PERIOD, therefore any "complete" collection has these. There is nothing debatable here and your labyrinthian logic changes nothing. The "standard hardware" thing makes no sense to anyone but you, but anyone can grasp the idea of officially licensed products. Deals were made, money changed hands. The logos present on these hardware and software are being used %100 legally.

Of course, anyone going for a "complete" anything irrispective of quality, interest level, etc is a f*cking idiot, IMO, but that doesn't make plain basic facts any different. If you don't want to spend thousands of dollars buying all the LA games (or even compiling a list for that matter) then fine, I support that. Why WOULD anyone want every LA game? However, they are part of the set. No question whatsoever. If you aren't going to collect them then just don't collect them. Your collection will be "everything that runs in my Duo" or whatever, but it won't be "complete". And that's perfectly fine.

I see the LA games as being part of the same family. I see them as being exempt from what I count as a TurboGrafx collection as there is no way to actually play these games on a TurboGrafx. This is where I divide these up.

They can only be played on a LaserActive with a TurboGrafx (or PC Engine module since there's no region lock) module, and while they are licensed by TTI/NEC. I see them as Laseractive specific games. I think it's a pretty clear cut line I've drawn.

Added in edit: With regards to the WonderMidi disc, if someone had a Mega CD collection I would say that's likely exempt even though it might boot on the Mega CD itself. With that said, the LA games are even further exempt because there's no means of running them on a Mega CD/Mega Drive system except the LaserActive.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:52:41 AM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
Just a side note since everyone has their own means of determining what are valid "complete" collections. I figured I'd make a list of criteria and types of "complete collections" there might be.

All TurboGrafx 16 Family Media:. This includes all licensed titles intended for sale to consumers, all demo discs, all homebrew titles, the girlie discs and all LaserActive LDROM2 titles produced for intended distribution in North America that are compatible with the TurboGrafx 16 architecture.

All TurboGrafx 16 licensed Family Media: This includes all licensed titles intended for sale to consumers all demo discs, all and all LaserActive LDROM2 titles produced for intended distribution in North America that are compatible with the TurboGrafx 16 architecture. (this leaves out homebrews and the girlie discs)

All TurboGrafx 16 Family retail released games: This includes all licensed titles intended for sale to consumers, all homebrew titles, the girlie games, all and all LaserActive LDROM2 titles produced for intended distribution in North America that are compatible with the TurboGrafx 16 architecture. (this leaves out the demo discs)

All TurboGrafx 16 retail released games: This includes all licensed titles intended for sale to consumers, all homebrew titles, the girlie games produced for play on the TurboGrafx 16 intended distribution in North America (this leaves out the demos and the LA games)

All TurboGrafx 16 licensed games: This includes all licensed retail titles produced and demo discs for play on the TurboGrafx 16 with intended distribution in North America (this leaves out the demos, homebrews, girlie games and Laseractive games)

All TurboGrafx 16 licensed retail released games: This includes all licensed retail titles produced for play on the TurboGrafx 16 with intended distribution in North America (this leaves out the demos, homebrews, girlie games and Laseractive games)

Everyone seperates things differently. That's my set of different criteria that's suitable for a complete set. Been rewording it a bit in edits.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:26:31 AM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2013, 11:22:13 AM »
Just a side note since everyone has their own means of determining what are valid "complete" collections. I figured I'd make a list of criteria and types of "complete collections" there might be.

All TurboGrafx 16 Family Media:. This includes all licensed retail titles, all demo discs, all homebrew titles, the girlie discs and all LaserActive LDROM2 titles produced for intended distribution in North America that are compatible with the TurboGrafx 16 architecture.

All TurboGrafx 16 licensed Family Media: This includes all licensed retail titles, all demo discs, all and all LaserActive LDROM2 titles produced for intended distribution in North America that are compatible with the TurboGrafx 16 architecture. (this leaves out homebrews and the girlie discs)

All TurboGrafx 16 Family retail released games: This includes all licensed retail titles, all homebrew titles, the girlie games, all and all LaserActive LDROM2 titles produced for intended distribution in North America that are compatible with the TurboGrafx 16 architecture. (this leaves out the demo discs)

All TurboGrafx 16 retail released games: This includes all licensed retail titles, all homebrew titles, the girlie games produced for play on the TurboGrafx 16 intended distribution in North America (this leaves out the demos and the LA games)

All TurboGrafx 16 Family retail released games: This includes all licensed retail titles, all homebrew titles, the girlie games, and all LaserActive LDROM2 titles produced for intended distribution in North America that are compatible with the TurboGrafx 16 architecture. (this leaves out the demos)

All TurboGrafx 16 licensed retail released games: This includes all licensed retail titles produced for play on the TurboGrafx 16 with intended distribution in North America (this leaves out the demos, homebrews, girlie games and Laseractive games)

Everyone seperates things differently. That's my set of different criteria that's suitable for a complete set.

I had to read each of those catagories multiple times to make any sense of them. Having one of them listed twice with slightly different wording proves that even the OCD weirdo that made this list was confused by it.

Here is a simple answer to the original question, "Are the pseudoporn games part of a complete set?" Answer: No, but if you really like garbage then just buy them.