Author Topic: Hu Cards breaking?  (Read 615 times)

DarkKobold

Hu Cards breaking?
« on: April 04, 2013, 10:44:23 AM »
Does anyone else have experience with broken hu-cards? I've had, so far, only one broken hu-card that would not work, despite massive cleaning, a copy of Ordyne. However, unlike NES, SNES, Genesis, etc carts, once a hu card is broken, its fairly impossible to troubleshoot.

I'm curious how many others have experienced a Hucard that was either already broken, or they managed to break; I'd like to know how frequent it happens, and how it does happen.
Hey, you.

turboswimbz

Re: Hu Cards breaking?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 10:48:10 AM »
I got overly excited and ate a KC for breakfast to get my Daily PCE intake.

Ahhh I got a broken in half Down the middle  long wise KC years ago in a lot.   :shock:
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

galam

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 11:57:54 AM »
 Its not broken. Its just ordyne.   :D

Black Tiger

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 01:54:49 PM »
PC Genjin 2 is mentioned more than other games as having issues or dying altogether. Of course, it's also probably one of the higher print and played games.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

seieienbu

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 02:06:58 PM »
I think that it might be interesting to sacrifice a few Kieth Courage cards to find out how durable the things really are.  Perhaps tests with bending, temperature, water, etc.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

SMF

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 02:27:34 PM »
I think that it might be interesting to sacrifice a few Kieth Courage cards to find out how durable the things really are.  Perhaps tests with bending, temperature, water, etc.

This is actually a good idea I might do this if I get some free time.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 02:45:28 PM »
I just got a non working Dead Moon today.  I can't get it running no matter what! :(

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 03:30:18 PM »
This happened to me with a copy of Image Fight bought off ebay from that a$$hole seller bonesmeister a short while back. Listed the game in excellent condition, tested and working. Card arrived with heavy wear on the back of the card and also the card was DOA. Tried on two diff systems, and results were the same. After you press start at the title screen the game would freeze up. If you did nothing when the game tried to load the demo mode the same would occur. I'd also mention the seller sold items to me before that were not as described. His excuse was that he had multiple copies and a worker overlooked the damage by mistake when packing the items. I gave the benefit of doubt, tried him again, and got a Image Fight fail. Oh well, life goes on.

DarkKobold

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 04:07:03 PM »

So you are saying, not working is possibly a gameplay improvement? I'd be inclined to agree!

There are some interesting videos on youtube of people beating the ever loving shit out of SMB/Duckhunt carts, and them still working. I think the form factor of the hucard makes me believe that it is just much less durable.

PC Genjin 2 is mentioned more than other games as having issues or dying altogether. Of course, it's also probably one of the higher print and played games.

As an aside, I don't get why PC Genjin 2 is sold for $40 on ebay. Its worth more than Bonk's Revenge, which is #1, English, and #2, (probably) far less published.
Hey, you.

TheOldMan

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 04:39:11 PM »
HuCards are less durable. Mostly,m they break due to bending.
Why?

Cartridge games use stock chips, encased in plastic. To get the small height of a HuCard, only the dies are used for the chips - no enclosing plastic, just some black rubbery stuff to prevent shorting out.
I believe the problem is, the connecting wires tend to break/come loose when the card is bent.
Yes, I've checked with an ohm meter - the only 'dead' cards I've seen had open connections on some pins, including +5V. Cleaning the rubber stuff off is a pain, so I only checked one or two.

roflmao

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 05:26:13 PM »
Its not broken. Its just ordyne.   :D

WHAT!?  I was just playing Ordyne earlier today.  It's no Gradius or Thunder game, but it's 2-player simultaneous and has freaking awesome music.  Honestly, I don't know what they were thinking releasing it in the US over other titles at the time, but I'm glad that they did because I spent a bunch of hours playing it with a  buddy back in High School. I've beaten it more than once and it's always a blast to pop in and play for a bit.  

To get back on topic, I've never experienced a broken HuCard, though it pops up from time to time on the forums.  Once my Arcade Card went funky on me while playing my Sapphire Booty, but I was using a diving board converter at the time and it hasn't arisen since my console was region modded.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 05:29:15 PM by roflmao »

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 02:39:23 AM »

WHAT!?  I was just playing Ordyne earlier today.  It's no Gradius or Thunder game...

It's no Sidearms either.

I've had Hu's the need some added thickness to work. I put some paper on the bottom of the card to help make contact with the slot. SF2' is the biggest culprit.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

xelement5x

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 03:39:10 AM »
I had a Wonder Momo that was going to be used for raffle that was DOA.  I tried everything I could to bring her back but she was dead for good.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

turboswimbz

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 03:47:11 AM »

WHAT!?  I was just playing Ordyne earlier today.  It's no Gradius or Thunder game, but it's 2-player simultaneous and has freaking awesome music.  Honestly, I don't know what they were thinking releasing it in the US over other titles at the time, but I'm glad that they did because I spent a bunch of hours playing it with a  buddy back in High School. I've beaten it more than once and it's always a blast to pop in and play for a bit. 

To get back on topic, I've never experienced a broken HuCard, though it pops up from time to time on the forums.  Once my Arcade Card went funky on me while playing my Sapphire Booty, but I was using a diving board converter at the time and it hasn't arisen since my console was region modded.

HAHA. I THINK galam was making a funny Pun????  :) as in it isn't dead it's just OR - DIE - N
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 05:30:56 AM »
I've never seen a broken HuCard, but then I've never bent one either. There is a very evocotive cartoon in the front of many manuals saying not to do this so...I never did it.

BTW, Ordyne is great. f*ck you guys.