Author Topic: Where to find security screw bit for opening DUO cover  (Read 506 times)

frankodragon

Where to find security screw bit for opening DUO cover
« on: March 10, 2006, 10:23:15 AM »
I'm gonna attempt to replace the caps in my DUO but who knows via a reputable  mail order or online (not evil-bay) that sells the screwdriver bit to open up the DUO's cover?  I live out in the boonies and not even the big hardware store chains carry them.

malducci

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 01:04:40 PM »
Well, you can always use a 4mm deep sock - though you'd have to grind down the outside for it to fit. This is what I used to open genesis carts, snes carts, Duo, TG16, and I think SGX.

Black Tiger

Re: Where to find security screw bit for opening DUO cover
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 05:29:40 PM »
Quote from: "frankodragon"
I'm gonna attempt to replace the caps in my DUO but who knows via a reputable  mail order or online (not evil-bay) that sells the screwdriver bit to open up the DUO's cover?  I live out in the boonies and not even the big hardware store chains carry them.

I got mine from the guy on "e"-bay, but he charged me like $12 shipping for $0.50 postage to Canada, even though the terms for U.S. shipping were like $5 for U.S. shipping, which is only 10 times the postage.

But it was still worth it.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

FM-77

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 03:17:25 AM »
I opened my Duo-R with a regular screwdriver. Took 40 minutes, but I did it.  :roll:

Black Tiger

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 04:56:22 AM »
Quote from: "Seldane"
I opened my Duo-R with a regular screwdriver. Took 40 minutes, but I did it.  :roll:

The Turboduo and some other systems have special screws that can't be removed without a special bit that can't be purchased from regular stores.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Turbografx-16-TG-16-Turboduo-Video-game-TOOL-BIT-Fix_W0QQitemZ8265684824QQcategoryZ3592QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It looks like this guy now has fixed shipping to Canada.

FM-77

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 05:20:02 AM »
Quote from: "Black_Tiger"

The Turboduo and some other systems have special screws that can't be removed without a special bit that can't be purchased from regular stores.

I know it does. The Duo-R does too. That is why it took me 40 minutes to open it with a regular screwdriver. It was hard as hell, but I did it. I was determined to do it.  :wink:

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 06:31:59 AM »
Quote from: "Black_Tiger"

I know it does. The Duo-R does too. That is why it took me 40 minutes to open it with a regular screwdriver. It was hard as hell, but I did it. I was determined to do it.  :wink:

What type of head did you use?

I assumed that the Duo-R used the same as the RX.

FM-77

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 08:07:43 AM »
Not sure what it is called, but I used a regular | shaped screwdriver. A small one. I hope you understand what I mean, it's pretty hard to explain.  :lol:

Yes, R and RX uses the same screws. In fact, I believe they all used that screw.

Keranu

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 04:33:35 PM »
You must be referring to a flat head screw driver. Wow, I'm impressed at your skills that you were able to open one with one of those :D . I read on one of those TG16 modding sites than you can cut the center of a flat head screw driver and it can work as one of those toolbits.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

FM-77

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 11:02:08 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
You must be referring to a flat head screw driver. Wow, I'm impressed at your skills that you were able to open one with one of those :D . I read on one of those TG16 modding sites than you can cut the center of a flat head screw driver and it can work as one of those toolbits.

Hehe. Funny. I remembered that it was called flathead the moment before I read your post.  :roll:

Yes, I opened it with one of those -- without any "modification."  :lol: I actually cut off the center pin (a small pin in the middle) of the screw using the screwdriver first. And yes, my hands hurt when I was finished.

Keranu

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 04:16:13 PM »
I might have to try that with my SNES.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

FM-77

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 09:37:44 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
I might have to try that with my SNES.

You can't. Those screws are completely different and using a regular screwdriver for that is impossible.

Try melting a pen and push it onto the screw, that'll work fairly well if you do it right. Check this out!

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
cool
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 04:39:31 AM »
thats awesome, I'll have to try that.

Frickin' Macgyver(SP?)

Keranu

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 02:42:38 PM »

You can't. Those screws are completely different and using a regular screwdriver for that is impossible.

Try melting a pen and push it onto the screw, that'll work fairly well if you do it right. Check this out!

OMG THX!

Zeon

Place to buy the screw bit
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 01:13:25 PM »
As far as I know, no retailer sells the bits; however, you can order it from here:

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=MCMProducts&product%5Fid=22%2D1150

It's $3.89 for one plus shipping. It should end up being about 6-8 dollars is my guess depending on the shipping option you choose(and where you live, I didn't check to see where they ship to). MCM electronics is where I bought both of my game screw bits back in the day. However, if you do order from them expect to get catalogs in the mail from them for years to come. I have ordered twice from them in my entire life and it took them at least 3 years to get the hint they were wasting their catalogs on me.

Btw, those people on ebay who sell these bits and those 72 pin nintendo connectors (they sell those at MCM as well) are evil. I bet they buy them in bulk from stores like MCM and sell them for a profit on ebay hoping that people don't figure what they are actually doing.