Author Topic: Turbo vs Genesis  (Read 584 times)

fsa

Turbo vs Genesis
« on: April 08, 2013, 05:12:42 PM »
I recently modded a genesis model 2 with the cxa1645 chip to output s-video and played thunder force 2 which looked pretty good, but I recently got a few more games (altered beast, phelios and truxton). I noticed that those 3 recently acquired games did not look as good as tf2.

When playing my s-video modded turbo, almost all the games look good. I just want to know if others have experience the same as I have.

Looking for TG16 games I don't have already.

Tatsujin

Re: Turbo vs Genesis
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 06:20:14 PM »
what exactly does not look so good in the above mentioned games compared to TFII? contrast, contours, colors, sharpness etc?
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

TR0N

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 06:25:03 PM »
You made the mistake of using a model 2 a model 1 is better in picture  :P

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

SignOfZeta

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 06:30:38 PM »
Yeah, always use a model 1. The earlier the better, especially for sound. Also, Model 2s are really dumb and cheap looking. :)

Tatsujin

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 07:08:19 PM »
the model 2 is ugly as a mud fence.
www.pcedaisakusen.net

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 11:56:32 PM »
The model 2 he modded for s-video was the last revision dumped on the market before the Genesis 3 hit. It has the better video chip over the model one and Xeye. It is possible he botched the mod however. When done right it surpasses everything else and can only be matched by the Genesis 3 which used the same chip s-video wise.

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 05:18:37 AM »
A model 1 with the "High Definition Graphics" logo has the best, most pure sound. 95% of the time at least. A small number of them have the first hadware revision that began to affect the sound.

Model 1 and 2 systems can both look amazing with s-video when modified correctly or using the XMD3 or turning RGB output into s-video. Even composite looks great on Turbo and Genesis systems once you get a good quality source for the video.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

SignOfZeta

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 06:26:02 AM »
Yeah, I have no opinion on the video of the Model 2 (I thought I remember hearing it was better?) but the sound on the "High Definition Graphics" Mk1 is...it's just flat out necessary, IMO. It's the only Genesis I'll own. The difference is sound is pretty huge.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 08:39:35 AM by SignOfZeta »

fsa

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 07:11:10 AM »
Basically, TF2 looked sharp, bright and colourful and the others just look bland expecially altered beast (I was also expecting Truxton to look better than TF2 but was not very impressive).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:24:01 AM by fsa »

fsa

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 07:20:14 AM »
The model 2 he modded for s-video was the last revision dumped on the market before the Genesis 3 hit. It has the better video chip over the model one and Xeye. It is possible he botched the mod however. When done right it surpasses everything else and can only be matched by the Genesis 3 which used the same chip s-video wise.
The Mod is very easy to perform on the model 2 anyways, maybe I was expecting the other games to look as good as TF2. Maybe I will have to try some more games.
You made the mistake of using a model 2 a model 1 is better in picture  :P
Model 1 is not always the best. This model 2 has the cxa1645 chip as stated initally
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:24:48 AM by fsa »

Black Tiger

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 07:34:27 AM »
Basically, TF2 looked sharp, bright and colourful and the other just look bland expecially altered beast (I wa also expecting Truxton to look better than TF2 but was not very impressive).

TFII does look more shaded and has better color than Altered Beast, which is pretty bland in the stages. Truxton has duller color. Try playing something like Ristar, Dynamite Heady, Wonderboy in Monster World, SSFII, Sonics, Rocket Knight Adv, Shining Forces, Phantasy Star IV, TMNTs, Mean Bean Machine, etc.

The pixels should be sharp and colors should look pretty solid, except for red which tends to bleed. Many Genesis games were designed around being seen through blurry composite. The difference between Double Dragon in s-video and standard composite is dramatic.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

SignOfZeta

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 08:35:52 AM »
Maybe he's just noticing that Altered Beast is a bland ugly game.

Or maybe he needs to calibrate his TV.

esteban

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 03:28:48 PM »

Genesis Model 1 is the best, but it looks like a goofy toy.

|    | 

Tatsujin

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 03:48:34 PM »
Model 1 looks the best, is the best!
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Mathius

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 04:25:16 PM »
A model 1 with the "High Definition Graphics" logo has the best, most pure sound. 95% of the time at least. A small number of them have the first hadware revision that began to affect the sound.

Model 1 and 2 systems can both look amazing with s-video when modified correctly or using the XMD3 or turning RGB output into s-video. Even composite looks great on Turbo and Genesis systems once you get a good quality source for the video.

Is there any way to tell of my HD Graphics Model 1 is the rare one with the crappy soundchip? It definitely has TMSS.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406