Author Topic: Super Grafx Arcade Card attempt?  (Read 1919 times)

Mishran

Re: Super Grafx Arcade Card attempt?
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 12:14:54 AM »
I thought the arcade version of Ninja Gaiden was great bitd. Sure it had some flaws, such as shitty hit detection, but back then I could care less. I always looked forward to losing my last life to see the continue screen. Dude tied down and a saw blade descending on him. Cool shit!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 12:55:07 AM »
It just had other things, but it hadn't less things :idea: and what it had was great :!:

And you're describing also things above which weren't invented before 1992/1993.

I'm describing things that were in 80s Famicom games or arcade games from Technos. You could do that stuff in Double Dragon or Kunio.

So there it be. In exchange you couldn't do other things in your mentioned "favorites" that could be done in Final Fight, plus it looked and played like 10x the better than anything prior to it.

The hell anyway. Regarding your stupid logic and arguments an R-Type f.e. must be a bad game too, since it basically just does the same stuff as already seen in Gradius, just in a different way.

So f*ck every even so great game released after Double Dragon and Gradius. Because they just plain suck.

Its not that Final Fight sucks, its just that its boring. Not even being able to run is ridiculous but there even by the standards of beat 'em ups its monotonous.

touko

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 12:55:36 AM »
Final Fight is hard to do, at least properly.  I've looked into a bunch of this stuff, and even with 128 sprites it's hard to do right.  If you think of Crest of Wolf, with its 4 (large) (wait, or is it 3.5?) sprites on-screen, Final fight could possibly handle 8, scaled down FF sprites, but then no weapons.  You don't need 8 people on screen unless IIRC you're doing an arcade perfect conversion, you could do something like 5 and have some of the weapons.

What you migth be able to do nicely is a cut-down version of Sunset riders.  But it would still be hard to make a SNES port, you'd have to aim for something slightly nicer than the MD version.

tl;dr: Supergrafx and it's 128 sprites is very attractive, and 2 MB+ of sprite data isn't hard to use, but it's questionable whether it's enough for some things.
Technicaly, is not difficult to make it for SGX ...
if you have enough storage for datas, sgx can handle it easily .
For PCE the only big problem is sprites/line limit, is slightly too low, but no probs with SGX .

The genesis version is good because you have :
1 - genesis sprites /line limit is 20 (16 pixels sprites) in 320 pixels mode .
2- MCD storage, you have at least 512 Ko of ram (+ 256 ko )
3- No samples/musics, all of this is done also by MCD (you save a lot of genesis cycles ) .

I think if it is done on SGX+SCD+AC, you can make a port close to acade perfect, even without AC is doable IMO .
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 01:10:07 AM by touko »

soop

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 01:12:15 AM »
I just don't understand the lack of love for Final Fight T___T

I'm assuming now that most of the people involved are in their 30's and remember actually playing this game in the arcade?  Goodness.
For me, it was one of the most atmospheric games.  Weapons, breakable objects, a choice of THREE noticeably different characters that weren't just a ryu/ken, billy/jimmy combo, special moves, huge sprites, bonus stages... even the 1 point for continues that showed you how good someone ACTUALLY was.

well, you might take all of that for granted, but without Final Fight, we wouldn't have a crapload of other games that I like.
And Final Fight was way better than it's precursors than they were over it.  Even AVP isn't leaps and bounds better, and that was 5 years later.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2013, 06:09:04 AM »
I just don't understand the lack of love for Final Fight T___T

I'm assuming now that most of the people involved are in their 30's and remember actually playing this game in the arcade?  Goodness.
For me, it was one of the most atmospheric games.  Weapons, breakable objects, a choice of THREE noticeably different characters that weren't just a ryu/ken, billy/jimmy combo, special moves, huge sprites, bonus stages... even the 1 point for continues that showed you how good someone ACTUALLY was.

well, you might take all of that for granted, but without Final Fight, we wouldn't have a crapload of other games that I like.
And Final Fight was way better than it's precursors than they were over it.  Even AVP isn't leaps and bounds better, and that was 5 years later.
Thats why I suggested Mighty Final Fight. :P

spenoza

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 03:06:43 PM »
Final Fight was quite refreshing in the day. You had fewer moves than in Double Dragon, but the sprites were a lot larger and the gameplay was a lot easier to deal with. But the beat 'em up genre has grown a bit since then. Streets of Rage 2 gives your characters an awful lot of moves to play with while still having great gameplay and large sprites. And that's where the PC Engine falls down. The SNES and Genesis both had a large number of good beat 'em ups, but the PC Engine did not. Sure, Double Dragon II and Kunio were great, but they were sort of a different style. The PCE had, what, Crest of Wolf? That's the game that plays most like the rest, but is weak-sauce in move options and animation.

I'm hoping some homebrew action takes up the call.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

soop

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 10:05:44 PM »
Final Fight was quite refreshing in the day. You had fewer moves than in Double Dragon, but the sprites were a lot larger and the gameplay was a lot easier to deal with. But the beat 'em up genre has grown a bit since then. Streets of Rage 2 gives your characters an awful lot of moves to play with while still having great gameplay and large sprites. And that's where the PC Engine falls down. The SNES and Genesis both had a large number of good beat 'em ups, but the PC Engine did not. Sure, Double Dragon II and Kunio were great, but they were sort of a different style. The PCE had, what, Crest of Wolf? That's the game that plays most like the rest, but is weak-sauce in move options and animation.

I'm hoping some homebrew action takes up the call.

Yeah Crest of Wolf had the sprite size, but was severely let down by sprite restrictions.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 04:04:29 AM »
For some reason, I doubt the homebrew scene will be able to do something as good as Crest of Woflcopter.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

soop

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 04:10:23 AM »
For some reason, I doubt the homebrew scene will be able to do something as good as Crest of Woflcopter.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 06:21:33 PM »

We've started working on Dragon Arm, it'll crush & consume Crest of Riot Zone!  I don't know how much I'm allowed to say, but the beginings of our work look promising, though, I personally think we'll go with a smaller sprite size compared to Riot City to ensure we have 2 player & decent amount of enemies, though, I'm no coder, so that's up to Nod.

Tatsujin

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2013, 06:31:02 PM »
Kewl news :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 06:59:48 PM »
Don't misunderstand me, as we still have JB to finish up first before Dragon Arm goes into full gear, but we have gone into the first phase, & are planning on it being our 3rd game.

touko

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2013, 08:22:14 PM »

Sorry but IMO crest of wolf is terrible .

Even the shitty arcade version is far better .
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:11:29 PM by touko »

Tatsujin

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2013, 11:08:33 PM »
chest of rolf
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

touko

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2013, 11:14:59 PM »
For a good PCE beat, small sprites is better (32*32), but with a large variety of moves, and 5/6 sprites at same time .