Author Topic: Let's help our pal Bernie - AUCTION IS DONE!  (Read 1960 times)

bob

Let's help our pal Bernie - AUCTION IS DONE!
« on: May 11, 2013, 01:17:27 PM »
Ok, so here's what I propose...

I would like to start a 5 day Ebay auction on June 1st(ish).

If anybody would like to contribute a duplicate game, or any other Turbo related goodness, send me a PM with what you have to offer.
I would like to receive everything by May 25th(ish) in order to take pictures, write the description, and all the other Ebay crap that goes along with a listing.

[ul][li]I will be doing one auction and sell the whole pile as a single lot, with a somewhat low starting bid.[/li][li]Once we have everything, I'll share the details and we can determine a good starting price.[/li][li]I will cover the final value fee and paypal fee.  This way, whatever the auction ends at will go right to Bernie.[/li][li]Please keep it Turbo/PCE related (hell, if you don't have a game, make something)[/li][/ul]
I do hope a few people would like to circle the wagons and help him out.  Not everybody can give money straight up, so this may be a fun way to chip in.
I think I have a spare Double Dungeons cratermaze and ballistix to get the ball rolling.

Please keep in mind, this has nothing to do with what you think of me, this is for Bernie.  He's a terrific member around here and maybe this will help cement what a great place this is.  I'm just trying to take some initiative and organize something.  If you have other ideas, feel free to implement them...but I'm doing this auction.  Even if it ends up only being my Double Dungeons cratermaze and ballistix.
Worth a shot.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 02:55:01 PM by galam »

SeymorOnion

Re: Let's help our pal Bernie
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 07:04:20 AM »
I'd be happy to pitch in some HuCard HuCARD Sleeves, for any hueys, that are donated to this auction for Bernie's daughter, that need em.

Just PM me your mailing address, the # of HuCARD Sleeves ya need, and a link to this thread
(to remind me I offered em to ya for free, and prevent me from sending you an Invoice, by mistake  :wink:)
on the 21'st, and they'll get to ya by the 25'th.

Edited to add:
I also have a duplicate of Legendary Axe, that I'll send with the HuCARD Sleeves.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 07:27:04 AM by SeymorOnion »

Nando

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 07:34:59 AM »
how about a simpler thing? we can just post the games we want to give away here, and Bernie gets gifted directly. So a PCE bazaar of sorts. 

Obviously notifications and how things get exchanged need to be ironed out, but this, I think, would get Bernie the $$$ faster.

jeffhlewis

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 08:16:20 AM »
I've got a copy of Buster Bros (Case, Disc, Manual) and Keith Courage (Case, Hu, Manual) I can offer up.

bob

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 11:00:45 AM »
Nando, I would like to do the auction for him. Feel free to organize another sale thread if you like.

Onion/Jeff: PM sent

RoyVegas

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 11:20:17 AM »
how about a simpler thing? we can just post the games we want to give away here, and Bernie gets gifted directly. So a PCE bazaar of sorts. 

Obviously notifications and how things get exchanged need to be ironed out, but this, I think, would get Bernie the $$$ faster.

While I 100% agree with what galam is trying to do, Nando makes more sense. With galams way, people have to ship the stuff to him, wasting shipping money that could go directly to Bernie. Theres shipping time, possible damage during shipping to galam, not to mention selling as a bundle tends to pull lower prices on eBay. Then you have a possible claim from the buyer if he isn't happy for one reason or another or if the package gets lost in the mail.

Then you have the buyer possibly reselling everyones items at an inflated cost.

Please understand I'm in no way trying to piss in your pool here galam and everyone appreciates what you're trying to do. I just think that creating a thread that everyone here can post in, can help people get games they want, avoid fees, not spend money on shipping everything twice and help each other all at the same time benefitting Bernie as much, if not more than an eBay auction might in a quicker time frame.  Just my .01 on it.

My apologies if you take any offense, as none is intended.
All is well. :)

jeffhlewis

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 03:40:07 PM »
What if Galam lists everything separately on the same profile and then we all just ship from our own addresses as the auctions end? Would prevent the issue with shipping to Galam pre-auction.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 05:09:38 PM »
What if Galam lists everything separately on the same profile and then we all just ship from our own addresses as the auctions end? Would prevent the issue with shipping to Galam pre-auction.

It causes issues with ebay internally if you are referring to ebay sales. If you ship even remotely late it will affect his seller stats, plus it can affect shipping cost and confuse buyers when they see their items arrive from places other then advertised. People don't like this kind of scenario. Red Frog tried it and it did not play out well. Forum related it would not be a big deal though.

Sparky

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 12:45:08 AM »
Ya good point prof.

Also galam really wants to do this so what's a couple items shipped to him and with the right wording to the auction it will turn out just fine and maybe surprising plus it be fun watch.
Glam I have a tg16 tshirt I have not even worn yet :) not official but looks good.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 12:46:51 AM by Sparky »

Nando

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 05:55:19 AM »
Nando, I would like to do the auction for him.

Of course, didn't mean to rain on your parade. Just trying to help simplify things.

Black Tiger

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 06:41:37 AM »
In forum silent auctions (people just submit offers by pm) by individual members for whichever items they have to offer in whichever grouping/lots/etc would eliminate most of the issues mentioned and generate funds the fastest.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 06:49:23 AM »
The problem with doing it on a forum like this is the target audience is slim, and if we're all contributing spare games there's the likely scenario that none of us want to buy any of the crap because we already have it.

at least with eBay, there's a larger group of people that can have a stab at it.

If we're going to do a sale that's forum only, we might as well just donate money straight to bernie and cut to the chase, lol.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 10:30:28 AM »
Yeah honestly if you are going to do it as a lot sale I suggest ebay, and everything needs to be sent to one guy to host the sale. Honestly, and I don't know you Galam as a seller on ebay, so I cant say how effective you are, but it really helps if the sellers has a lot of great feedback and has been doing this quite a few years. This helps maximize the profits and get better ebay fee discounts. If you are already then cool. I would volunteer myself to do it but I already have a lot of my own stuff on there I need to take care of, plus a massive box of stuff for Herc that I will be working on next month, so I am committed to that and have to take care of it before I take on anything else, and time is kind of the essence here. The faster you guys figure out what you are going to do, and do it, the better off the beneficiary from the sale will be.

Also, a small bit of advice, and this is also why the faster you do this, the better. After the buyer pays it would not be wise to send any of the cash over for at least a good 5 to 7 days after the stuff is delivered to the buyer, unless they leave feedback sooner. This way who ever is hosting the sale wont get raped in case the buyer ends up being a scammer of some kind.

bob

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 02:00:52 PM »
Honestly, and I don't know you Galam as a seller on ebay, so I cant say how effective you are, but it really helps if the sellers has a lot of great feedback and has been doing this quite a few years.

Prof, I have a 331 at 100% on eBay.  Been doing it since 2003 or so.

Others:  I just want to help the guy out.  Some valid points listed above, but again, I'm just trying to organize something a little different.  So maybe we won't get  :shock: top dollar, but every little bit helps, and I'm not asking for people to send copies of beyond shadowgate or anything.  So far, I was offered some huey sleeves, legendary axe, buster bros. and kieth courage (plus a game or two that I throw in).  Sparky had a couple of good things that may "spark" (see what I did there?) some interest for a TG collector.  But again, nothing earth shattering.  When decent lots of TG stuff come up on ebay, especially with something a little different, they at least catch a few bucks.
I have seen a few comments regarding the fact it will be a few weeks before Bernie gets the money.  With the road ahead of him, the financials won't solve everything overnight.  It may be very helpful to get a small cash infusion in a few weeks.  Lots of people have helped out thus far, and I'm sure he's grateful, and maybe in a month, we help cover another bill for him that's right around the corner.
If shipping a game to me is a deal breaker, then so be it.  If you sell it, you'll need to ship it anyway, right?

Prof again:  I like your idea of waiting a few days before sending the money to Bernie to make sure the dust settles.

I do appreciate everybody's feedback, and I have not taken ANY of it to be disrespectful.  We all want the same thing here.  But if you aren't on board with the auction, no harm, no foul.  I get it.  For those that have PM'd me, I have responded and would love to add your contributions.

Sadler

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 02:38:16 PM »
Anyway we can make sure plcards doesn't snag this? :wink: Let me rummage around. I know I have a caseless Victory Run. I'm sure I can drudge up some other stuff.

EDIT: Alright, add to that a PCE copy of Power League, a US copy of Pac Land and a TZD catalog like the one I was trying to farm out a few years ago HERE.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 02:48:40 PM by Sadler »