Author Topic: Exile US vs Exile Japan  (Read 351 times)

nodtveidt

Exile US vs Exile Japan
« on: March 16, 2006, 12:37:35 PM »
Well, I just played thru the Japanese version of Exile for the first time ever, then played thru the US version to compare...using identical techniques, experience collection, etc. Urban legend says that the US version was made easier than the Japanese version. However, that has now been proven to be just that...urban legend. Almost all enemies in the US version have way more HP than in the Japanese version and there are a couple that also have higher damage rates. About the only enemies which are unchanged are the little ants in the Ant Lion's trap (even the flying things down there have 50% more HP in the US version), and the regular soldiers in El-in. Of particular note are the Ant-Lion itself (about 600% more HP than its Japanese counterpart!), Yubellum (attack power is 400% of his Japanese counterpart, and about 50% more HP), and Shimbatha (a staggering 1000% HP from its Japanese version and a major boost in attack power too!!!). I beat Shimbatha in under 10 seconds with Fire Slash 3 in the Japanese version...in the US version, it took about 2 minutes. Shadow Sadler has at least 200% HP in the US version as well. Also, "Warp" was, as many people know, removed from the US version (but made it into the US release for the Genesis). So anyways...urban legend no more, the US version is definately a step above the Japanese version in terms of challenge (despite neither being terribly difficult anyways...but if you thought the US version was a cakewalk, the Japanese version will REALLY disappoint you!).

Ninja Spirit

Exile US vs Exile Japan
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 01:34:04 PM »
I can 1cc the Genesis version. Average time is 2 hours.

esteban

Re: Exile US vs Exile Japan
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 07:32:43 AM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
Well, I just played thru the Japanese version of Exile for the first time ever, then played thru the US version to compare...using identical techniques, experience collection, etc. Urban legend says that the US version was made easier than the Japanese version. However, that has now been proven to be just that...urban legend ....
Rock on! This is one of the most interesting PCE-related things I have read in the last year (or more!). No, I'm not exaggerating. I love it when a careful, detailed comparison is made -- and you've done that with Violent Soldier / Sinistron as well. Great stuff.

I wonder when the notion that "WD dumbed-down Exile" started? It would be fun to see what the earliest reference we can find is (print and / or online media).  I can't recall, offhand, if any of the old reviews for Exile or Exile 2 mentioned WD altering the difficulty level of Exile 1.

Anyway, great stuff nodtveidt!
  |    | 

nodtveidt

Exile US vs Exile Japan
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 01:04:02 PM »
I'll run a comparison of the sequel at some point...I'm sure there will be similar differences.

Keranu

Exile US vs Exile Japan
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 05:07:02 PM »
Wow, very interesting! I always heard that urban legend as well, thanks for the info.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

Exile US vs Exile Japan
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 09:13:29 PM »
Unless I read it in an old magazine, the first time I heard the "WD dumbed-down Exile" was at the Gamefaqs forums a few years ago. There were some folks who seemed pretty knowledgeable about PCE games and I never questioned it ...
  |    | 

Black Tiger

Exile US vs Exile Japan
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 03:54:58 AM »
Quote from: "stevek666"
Unless I read it in an old magazine, the first time I heard the "WD dumbed-down Exile" was at the Gamefaqs forums a few years ago. There were some folks who seemed pretty knowledgeable about PCE games and I never questioned it ...

You know, I don't remember hearing about WD dumbing down Exile, but I had always assumed that they probably upped the challenge like they do with most(all?) of their games.

Although I'm sure it took a lot longer, I rember it seeming like I blazed through Exile in like a half hour. I've never actually played through the PCE version though(I've owned it for years).

As for Exile II, I made it to the Boss in front of a waterfall, tried for hours over days to beat him until I finally gave up and have never played the game since. I should check to see if I have the PCE version and try it out instead.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nodtveidt

Exile US vs Exile Japan
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 10:02:24 AM »
Quote from: "Black_Tiger"
As for Exile II, I made it to the Boss in front of a waterfall, tried for hours over days to beat him until I finally gave up and have never played the game since. I should check to see if I have the PCE version and try it out instead.

That sounds like Lawrence...and yeah he's a prick to beat. The strategy to beating Lawrence is to use either Sadler or Rumi, and to attack him from behind. You can't hit him when he does his jumps or you'll get hit HARD. When he starts walking, jump up when he gets close to you (before he swings). Most of the time he'll swing his axe at you. Direct your jump to land behind him; he'll keep walking. With Sadler, you have to direct your landing very carefully so you can sneak in a hit but with Rumi you can squeeze off a few shots (and hope they hit). Sometimes though, this bait maneuver causes Lawrence to jump at you instead, so you have to direct your jump away from him then quickly jump again when you land. He won't usually do this twice in a row (he can though) so you should be fine. Repeat this strategy and he'll go down easy. It takes some practice for sure but just like all the other bosses in Exile II, once you understand the finite strategy for beating them, it becomes simply a case of paying attention.

Keranu

Exile US vs Exile Japan
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 05:11:14 PM »
Lawrence is a cake walk :) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nodtveidt

Exile US vs Exile Japan
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 11:11:34 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
Lawrence is a cake walk :) .

Compared to Djinn, every boss in Exile II is a cakewalk. :D

ParanoiaDragon

Exile US vs Exile Japan
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 06:50:55 PM »
I remember in an old Turbo Play, when Victor did the previews, he specifically mentioned something about it being too easy, & that if somebody localized it, that could be remedied :D

BTW, one difference I can tell you about Exile 2, is that the Jp version has no paralax whatsoever.  That was all added by WD, even though there wasn't much added.  But the most noteworthy, is the first level, where in the US version, you have the storm of clouds moving above you at different speeds, in the JP version, the clouds are one big static....uh, thing of clouds.