Author Topic: Best bargain ever?  (Read 1141 times)

rolins

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2006, 06:06:19 AM »
The best 6-button controller is the Hori Fighting Commander PC. I have two of them and there perfect for Fatal Fury Special and World Heroes.

Keranu

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2006, 06:06:45 PM »
I thought the six button Duo-RX pad is really great, and I have no problem with it for Street Fighter II'. I also have a Avenue Pad 6 (though it's controller port gives me annoying problems), I actually prefer the RX pad more for fighting games. For non-fighting games or non-six button games, I stick with the good old PCE or Turbo Duo pads, they are some of my favorite pads in gaming :) . Comfortable, slick, and convient. Similar to the NES pads (which I also love, but that's definitely on debate with other people), but with rounded corners that feel nicer on the hands.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Superfamifreak

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2006, 09:26:51 PM »
Quote from: "rolins"
The best 6-button controller is the Hori Fighting Commander PC. I have two of them and there perfect for Fatal Fury Special and World Heroes.

Agreed on that. Now I just have to find one...

Black Tiger

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 03:49:50 AM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
I thought the six button Duo-RX pad is really great, and I have no problem with it for Street Fighter II'. I also have a Avenue Pad 6 (though it's controller port gives me annoying problems), I actually prefer the RX pad more for fighting games. For non-fighting games or non-six button games, I stick with the good old PCE or Turbo Duo pads, they are some of my favorite pads in gaming :) . Comfortable, slick, and convient. Similar to the NES pads (which I also love, but that's definitely on debate with other people), but with rounded corners that feel nicer on the hands.

I love the Turbo pads and the SNES pads are also great. I hate Genesis pads, although the 6-button pad is better.

This is of course the exact opposite of the opinions(and therefore truth) of every U.S. game mag.

I also don't like joysticks in most cases since they're less accurate. The way always explain it to people is: If you played with a 100 foot joystick, you'd have to run around a huge circle just to move the damn thing. It the same with any joystick, the longer it is, the greater the distance you have to push it to respond. Where as a pad is flat and you're essentially(or literally in the PSX's case) just pushing a button everytime you use the D-pad.

As for the pads, I love both the D-pad and each button on Turbo/PCE pads.

I don't like the SNES pad as much, because of the harder plastic and the barrier of the cross cut in the actual controller. The buttons are nice, but again, I prefer the softer plastic on a Duo pad and I find that the button's springs in SNES controller don't respond as well to the way I play. And nothing beats the rubber RUN & SELECT buttons of a Duo pad.

Now, the big ugly manta ray/boomerang: Genesis pads. I don't mind the way they look, but a team of scientists spent years in research to custom make pads to not sit well in my personal hands. I won't use the metaphor I normally do for the pad, since I don't want this post removed, but the pad is big and sloppy and doesn't respond well. The six button pad is better in everyway and I enjoy using it(especially on SMS), but I still prefer the SNES and Duo pads more.

I don't hate the RX/PCFX pad, but it doesn't do diagonals well for me on too many non-fighting games, so it doesn'tget used anymore. As for the PCFX pad, -I don't really have much of a choice do I?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Ninja Spirit

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2006, 04:11:35 AM »
That's right the PCFX controller is based on the Duo RX pad huh?

Black Tiger

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2006, 04:39:05 AM »
Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
That's right the PCFX controller is based on the Duo RX pad huh?

Yeah, although they're not completely the same.

I guess NEC figured than PC-FX players wouldn't want individual turbo switches.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2006, 05:02:27 PM »
I like the original Genesis pad, though I do think they look rather silly, but I enjoy it more than the six button, mainly just for old skool reasons. I'm not very fond of SNES pads though, they just don't feel so comfortable, the d-pad is too pointy and stiff for me, and I've had several break on me, but it's still not really a bad pad. But man, those Turbo/PCE pads are just some of the best out there for standard gaming  8) .
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Keranu

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2006, 05:02:54 PM »
Oh and I know what you mean about the plastic on Turbo pads, Black_Tiger - and I agree! Feels great.

esteban

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2006, 02:33:47 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
I like the original Genesis pad, though I do think they look rather silly, but I enjoy it more than the six button, mainly just for old skool reasons. I'm not very fond of SNES pads though, they just don't feel so comfortable, the d-pad is too pointy and stiff for me, and I've had several break on me, but it's still not really a bad pad. But man, those Turbo/PCE pads are just some of the best out there for standard gaming  8) .
I'm sorry, but Black_Tiger's assessment of Genny's controllers rings true for me. Absolutley horrible feel and control. I have big hands (even as a kid) the Genny controller still didn't fit well. I hate the D-pad -- terrible when you want to do a precision manuevre (as say, in most platforming titles). The buttons were also a problem (accidentally hitting the wrong one)... sorry, it just was a complete mess. And this is coming from someone who got used to the SMS controller (man, that thing SHOULD have been like an NES controller, but was far inferior to it).
  |    | 

Keranu

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2006, 02:50:15 PM »
Since I just recently got a Genesis, it came with one of the very first controllers and I have noticed I'm having a hard time reacting with the UP button when I want to use it immediately, so it's a bit annoying. Other than that though, I'm pretty cool with the controller. By the way, Steve, if your hands are too big for the Genesis controller, how do you feel with those smaller pads like on the PCE, NES, and Master System :D ?

The Master System controller is kind of funny. I dig the 80's futuristic look to it (still not nearly as cool as the 80's futuristic look on the NES :) ), but that d-pad is a bit whacked, haha! I like the big buttons though.

neokellyzero

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2006, 03:08:19 PM »
rolins Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HORI-FIGHTING-COMMANDER-6-buttons-pc-engine_W0QQitemZ8262897563QQcategoryZ49230QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Whats a good price for one of these?

rolins

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2006, 06:22:38 PM »
Quote from: "neokellyzero"
rolins Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HORI-FIGHTING-COMMANDER-6-buttons-pc-engine_W0QQitemZ8262897563QQcategoryZ49230QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Whats a good price for one of these?

Thats Good price and shipping cost ain't bad either. I bought my last two for $20 each. I say snatch it before someone else does.

The genny 3-button pads is one the best controllers I've ever used, and I have nothing but love for them. I don't like the 6-button pad though, the placement of buttons and curve of the controller feels awful.

The sms controllers I could never get used to. The d-pad on those things is strange trying to move diagonal, and long term abuse to the controller will make the thin plastic covering to come off.

The original nes controller is the greatest ever. Built like a brick, damn thing will go thru walls unscathed and survive being submerged in water. I would know, my sister thought it was funny to throw my nes controller in the pool because I wouldn't let her play.

GUTS

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2006, 06:34:34 PM »
The Sega 6 button controller is the best 8 or 16 bit controller ever made, the D pad is awesome and you can't beat the 3x3 button layout with no annoying shoulder buttons.  

BUT for the absolute best controller of all time, you can't beat the Sega Saturn controller (the japanese/second USA style one, not the horrible first one), I wish Sega would slap a couple analog sticks on those and remarket them as PS2 and Xbox controllers.

Keranu

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2006, 07:45:41 PM »
The Saturn controller is nice (the version GUTS mentioned) indeed, but still not quite perfect for fighting games, only Capcom ones. For us hardcore SNK fans, we gotta have four buttons in the row, so if it had four-on-four buttons or even three-on-four, that would be quite nice. Too bad you only see that button layout on arcade joysticks :P , but then again, I guess that's where fighting games belong. Also one adjustment I thought would be cooler for the six button Genesis and Saturn pads is if the top buttons weren't smaller and shaped differently than the bottom bottoms. I just think it would feel better and look cooler if they were all symetrical like that.

By the way, the best d-pad for fighting games is the Neo Geo Pocket's click stick, that thing is a power tool! Never in my life would I be able to pull off 360 moves (such as Zangief) into mad combos, and it's so easy to do with the click stick. Hell, you can even pull of those 720 supers into combos with ease on that click stick! The perfect gamepad for fighting games would have to have a click stick just like the NGP's, four on four buttons with a slight curve, and a comfortable feel that had built in technology to prevent plam sweat.

sunteam_paul

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2006, 04:38:38 AM »
I am amazed that companies haven;t copied the NGP style D-pad. It's the best non-analogue controller ever designed.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!