Author Topic: Best bargain ever?  (Read 1143 times)

FM-77

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2006, 05:02:07 AM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
I wish Sega would slap a couple analog sticks on those and remarket them as PS2 and Xbox controllers.

Already been done.  :wink:

No analogue sticks though.

And I agree. This is THE best controller of all time. If you don't agree you must DIE!! ...Well, not really.  :P

esteban

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2006, 07:28:09 AM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
By the way, Steve, if your hands are too big for the Genesis controller, how do you feel with those smaller pads like on the PCE, NES, and Master System :D ?

The Master System controller is kind of funny. I dig the 80's futuristic look to it (still not nearly as cool as the 80's futuristic look on the NES :) ), but that d-pad is a bit whacked, haha! I like the big buttons though.
Yeah, the D-pad on the SMS is totally whacked. I can't tell you how many critical moments ended in frustration because of the D-pad (not the game). I never saw third-party SMS pads as  a kid, so I just lived with the pads.

Anyway, the Sega Genesis controllers (all button configurations) sucked. The one thing it had going for it (namely, that it fit nicely in my hands) couldn't make up for its other faults (it fit in my hands, but it was awkward; button/pad placement/response is sloppy, etc.). I'll take an NES and TurboPad over a Genny controller any day.

I don't play fighting vs. games, so I rarely cared about 6 button layout. 6 buttons were an obstacle, not a benefit, to 99% of the games I play(ed), so I stuck (stick) with the original Genny controller when I play.

Here's something you might find interesting: I prefer to use the "official" controllers that came with each console. It just feels more authentic to me. As I said, I never bought third-party controllers back in the day (many of them were pretty shoddy, anyway) ... and my feelings haven't changed over the years (even though much better options exist today).

This is similar to my preference for using composite video on a generic t.v.  I like the aesthetic. I'm happy with it. I'm sure I'll get a modded A/V console one of these years, and I'll have to upgrade my t.v. when my current one breaks... but I'm in no rush.

:)
  |    | 

Ninja Spirit

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2006, 12:02:53 PM »
I heard the Genesis game "Ranger X" was one platformer that highly recommended the 6 button controller.
How much do that PS2 version of the Neo Geo CD pad go for?

rolins

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2006, 01:10:52 PM »
Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
I heard the Genesis game "Ranger X" was one platformer that highly recommended the 6 button controller.
How much do that PS2 version of the Neo Geo CD pad go for?

A brandnew pad will run for $40. I've never used one but read good reviews that it works well for fighting games like KOF and SFII. One of these days I'll have to buy one myself.

Edit: I take that back. Those NG pads should be around $30 brandnew.

neokellyzero

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2006, 01:17:50 PM »
Ranger X is an awesome game(one you can get for cheap too)-  I actually played it for a bit tonight.  It would be next to impossible to play without 6 buttons-  you have to control 2 mechs at the same time so every button is nessecary.

Keranu

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2006, 03:46:02 PM »
Quote from: "stevek666"
I don't play fighting vs. games, so I rarely cared about 6 button layout. 6 buttons were an obstacle, not a benefit, to 99% of the games I play(ed), so I stuck (stick) with the original Genny controller when I play.

Yes, I agree with this, I'll only want this many buttons for FIGHTING games or any other game that relies strongly on so many buttons. For a normal sit back game, I would prefer less buttons and this is one of the main reasons why I prefer the original three button Genesis pad over the six button. The Saturn control is great and all because it's nice for fighters, but as the default pad, the button layout just isn't as cool for the normal Joe games. This applies to all other controls by that time and up too, but I just never liked the Playstation pad nearly as much as the Saturn one to begin with anyways.

Quote from: "Stevey"
Here's something you might find interesting: I prefer to use the "official" controllers that came with each console. It just feels more authentic to me. As I said, I never bought third-party controllers back in the day (many of them were pretty shoddy, anyway) ... and my feelings haven't changed over the years (even though much better options exist today).

Agreed again, though I still buy and play around with third party controllers when I want to, I just try to use the original whenever possible. The cool thing about the Turbo Duo/PC Engine is that there are some many first party controllers and most of them feel right at home because they are so similar. However I am extra strict and try to use my original PCE pad when I play my PCE and my American Turbo Duo pad when I play my Turbo Duo 8) . And once again, the NES controller is the koolest!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2006, 05:42:09 PM »
That saturn controller is sick, I might have to order one of those.  I'm really liking the 360 controller now though, I think it might possibly be the finest controller of all time.  The d-pad is super nice, it's extremely high quality, fits my hand perfectly, and all the buttons are laid out where they make perfect sense.  The only thing it's lacking is 6 button on the face, but I can live with 4.

esteban

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2006, 06:01:48 AM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
That saturn controller is sick, I might have to order one of those.  I'm really liking the 360 controller now though, I think it might possibly be the finest controller of all time.  The d-pad is super nice, it's extremely high quality, fits my hand perfectly, and all the buttons are laid out where they make perfect sense.  The only thing it's lacking is 6 button on the face, but I can live with 4.
Yeah, I was curious about the 360 controller. There is always a long line of kids playing the 360 demo machines, so I haven't gotten a chance to actually play it and see what the controller is like.

I am also wondering what the heck Sony is going to do for PS3. Personally, I don't think they need to make any radical changes (not that the existing controller is perfect... but they could certainly make things a lot worse with a radically new "untested by the masses" design).
  |    | 

GUTS

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2006, 05:58:39 PM »
I really like the PS2 controller also, the only thing it needs are smaller analog sticks like the Xbox and 360, I think the ones it has are too tall and imprecise.  If they put some 360 sticks on the Dual shock 2, it'd be ultimate awesome.

Superfamifreak

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2006, 08:00:07 PM »
Bah! Just got an email from Yamatoku saying that they didn't have it in stock and it was listed in error :(

Keranu

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2006, 08:06:48 PM »
Oh man, that sucks!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

FM-77

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2006, 10:15:52 PM »
Too good to be true, I guess. That's a real shame....  :(

Black Tiger

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2006, 02:27:00 PM »
I like the original Genesis pad, though I do think they look rather silly, but I enjoy it more than the six button, mainly just for old skool reasons. I'm not very fond of SNES pads though, they just don't feel so comfortable, the d-pad is too pointy and stiff for me, and I've had several break on me, but it's still not really a bad pad. But man, those Turbo/PCE pads are just some of the best out there for standard gaming  8) .
I'm sorry, but Black_Tiger's assessment of Genny's controllers rings true for me. Absolutley horrible feel and control. I have big hands (even as a kid) the Genny controller still didn't fit well. I hate the D-pad -- terrible when you want to do a precision manuevre (as say, in most platforming titles). The buttons were also a problem (accidentally hitting the wrong one)... sorry, it just was a complete mess. And this is coming from someone who got used to the SMS controller (man, that thing SHOULD have been like an NES controller, but was far inferior to it).

I also have big hands. Perhaps the Genesis pads can only be fully utilized by small dwarf fingers.

The SMS did get an NES style pad, but obly in Europe and Japan(I think).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Master-System-SG-Commander-Pad-with-manual_W0QQitemZ8250825461QQcategoryZ36617QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2006, 02:53:30 PM »
Cool!

esteban

Best bargain ever?
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2006, 09:46:31 PM »
Quote from: "Black_Tiger"
I like the original Genesis pad, though I do think they look rather silly, but I enjoy it more than the six button, mainly just for old skool reasons. I'm not very fond of SNES pads though, they just don't feel so comfortable, the d-pad is too pointy and stiff for me, and I've had several break on me, but it's still not really a bad pad. But man, those Turbo/PCE pads are just some of the best out there for standard gaming  8) .
I'm sorry, but Black_Tiger's assessment of Genny's controllers rings true for me. Absolutley horrible feel and control. I have big hands (even as a kid) the Genny controller still didn't fit well. I hate the D-pad -- terrible when you want to do a precision manuevre (as say, in most platforming titles). The buttons were also a problem (accidentally hitting the wrong one)... sorry, it just was a complete mess. And this is coming from someone who got used to the SMS controller (man, that thing SHOULD have been like an NES controller, but was far inferior to it).

I also have big hands. Perhaps the Genesis pads can only be fully utilized by small dwarf fingers.

The SMS did get an NES style pad, but obly in Europe and Japan(I think).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Master-System-SG-Commander-Pad-with-manual_W0QQitemZ8250825461QQcategoryZ36617QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Hahahahha! Seriously!

As for the SMS controller -- hot dang! Would that work with a U.S. SMS console (original model)? I would love to get that -- maybe I'll have an easier time getting through Shinobi and Zillion !!!
  |    |